What Scares You?

5ivexxxxx

In order to make the mod I am making (other than my Commonwealth Expanded mod) scarier, I wanted to ask the people here what they find to be scary. To elaborate on the level, it is an abandoned military missile bunker partially taken over by raiders. Its main feature is an undetonated nuclear missile that the player can activate, accidentally or otherwise.

So tell me, what do you find absolutely horrifying, terrible, disgusting, depressing, frightening or otherwise terror inducing that I could feasibly fit into this mod using only vanilla dungeon sets? Think of the scariest parts of regular Fallout 3, to give you an idea. Or scary mods from Oblivion. Or stuff from thrillers and horror movies. It doesn't matter, as long as it would work.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

darkness

sounds

bizarre phenomena

unclear imagery (did i just see that? what was that?)

careful delivery (dont overdo any of it, best in moderation)

teases or hints of the threat, not actually seeing or knowing what the threat is

I'm in the middle of anchorage and I must say the scariest thing is walking through the corridor turning to your right and out of the corner of my eye I saw something move. Scared the religion out of me that I didn't even react to the stealther shooting me in the face and died.

So unexpected stuff like that. You'll need to have the timming right on triggering events. Ambience and music are key. Try to use flickering lights as much as possible as well as dark corridors. There is nothing more scary then knowing something is there yet you have no clue what or where it is.