Dynamic and Growing Town

Tony the Wookie

hmmm i have had a thought in my head alll day i really cant get around it. But here i go .... Zombies? turn feral ghouls into really slow zombies and snipe them from inside the walls whilst they circle the town. heh not sure if we can get a story line in there but could be the sequel to this mod.

Well, if you want to add on a zombie invasion quest or something of the sort you can go ahead, but personally I have other things I would like to work on expanding instead, so I wouldn't be able to do much. But I don't know much about how quests work either.

So basicly, I don't want to do it myself, but I am always for people adding stories and quests and other depth onto my mod.

I personally plan on stopping with the two quests, but if you or Q or anyone else wants to do more I will support it and provide story if you like, but that will be about the extent of what I will be able to do.

I do however plan on continuing to build new stuff for the town and adding depth and character to the environment and the dialogue and everything else. I actually have no plans on ever stopping this mod untill Fallout 4 comes out or some game company decides to give me a job.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heh yea. I have come back to reality now and the buildings should be furnished with lighting and navmeshs tonight so i will put the file up on the forum a little later for Q to merge. So we can get a newer version to work with. Is Q on the forums yet?

Well, the thing is, I have already decided to go with the whole get the water pump, fight the faction, find the little girl thing...

and really, the last thing I need to do is make another quest with all the first one not finished or the rest of the town not finished.

Now if you want to help me out with this whole Faction thing and why the little girl is so important, then that would be cool. I am trying to come up with a story behind why Dr. Zeon would betray his own vault to the Faction, and how would the Faction use this to help their grand scheme of creating an unstoppable army of raiders...

but as of right now, everything is going to be going into one of two quests

1. Go into the vault to get the purifier, run into the Faction, have some weird flashbacks, get the water pump, and get the key to your house.

2. After completing #1 you get the map marker to the Faction base where you break in and save the kid and get a kid to go with your house.

Damn... I was thinking those were really good idea's too... Well, I'm drawing a blank. I find the current quest-line a little too close to the Fallout 3 Main Quest and a little to bland =[ But, that's just my opinion. As far as my thoughts on Dr. Zeon go, say the Girl is Dr. Zeon's daughter, and she's really an android, and the Faction is looking to study her internal and mental structure to better themselves, but in order to prevent them from creating this unstoppable force, the player has to infiltrate/assault the base, disable her (aka destroy her) before any more research can be done. SO, Zeon isn't too happy with the towns people's decision and takes the lesser of two evils (in his opinion), striking a deal with the Faction that if he gives them his research they will release his daughter back to him. That's just scratching the surface, let me know if you want more.

Anubis sorta has a point, about it being too much like the vanilla stuff, and being a bit dry

the Vault stuff is almost exactly what happens in Trouble On The Homefront

and the Faction = the Enclave

and the girl is sorta similiar to the girl in the Pitt (everybody wants her)

plus, this could get kinda out of control, its almost two seperate mods

the Faction and the Vault

then the town

so you should tie the Vault in with the Faction

like maybe the town's inhabitants are descended from the people who escaped the Vault (the Vaults held 1000 people each, so maybe 100-200 escape, then some form the town, and some go it on their own and die/end up in a big vanilla settlement)

cause right now it seems like the town is having problems with Raiders (a talk with words or a talk with a shotgun would do just fine, just like the the quest where you go to Meresti station) so you do all this other stuff with the Faction (when the town only asked to get rid of their problem) plus the Faction/Vault stuff seems a little too much like you can play through it once in about 1-3 hours (like some of the vanilla quests) and you were really pushing that the town change over time when you started this, not just one of the vanilla type things that stays the same no matter what (or a vanilla quest that doesn't do anything once you've completed it)

plus you haven't finished building the town completely, so it seems a bit soon to take on a whole other section

sorry if I'm too critical, but the goal of this has changed quite drastically since conception, and it could get overwhelming/dull

That is in no way, shape, or form anyway true at all. The Faction is nothing like the Enclave ;D

The story with the player character may be similar, but there is no conection with anythin the Faction does and what the Enclave does. The only thing they have similar is that they both have guns and they both wear armor.

The Enclave doesn't even know of Vault 87 untill they follow the player character there

The Faction has already taken over and set up camp in Vault 141

The Enclave is following the player character

The Faction doesn't even know the player character exists

The Enclave wants to capture or kill you

The Faction doesn't care enough about you to bother, unless of course you attack them first

The Enclave is on a mission to get the GECK

The Faction doesn't care anything about the water pump or anything of the sort

The Enclave doesn't care one bit about the Vault

The Faction's main goal is to take over the Vault

The Enclave wants to destroy everyone they see as unfit

The Faction is made up of the outcasts and raiders that fill the wasteland

Seriously, if you can find just one connection between the two groups to back up that statement, I will give you a cookie, or mabe even two :P

:biggrin: don't take this personal, but if you are going to talk down on my quest, at least get the facts correct. Not everyone is after the girl, one group is after the girl... and you just save her because they have her locked away and are performing experements on her. And the Faction quest and the Vault quest are one in the same, the Faction is INSIDE of the Vault... :biggrin:

But anyways,

The simple fact is, this is not a quest mod :smile:

This is an open worlded / sandbox type mod. The idea is not to tell a story through plot, but to open up a whole new aspect of gameplay and to develope a story through environment and characters. The quests that I am going to have as part of this mod are simply put in there as a way to develope the town.

The simple fact is that it is unrealistic for you to just walk into the town and the mayor just gives you a house, and I want the town to start with a broken water purifier so it gives you something that will drastically improve the town.

So why wouldn't I simply just give you a quest that says go into this vault and find the peice I need?

The thing I care about is that it is something worth giving the player character a key to your house for, that it improves the town (what improves the town better than fixing the water purifier), and that it leads into my second quest.

And my second quest is simply there for you to rescue the adoptable child, and put a backstory to the situation and the character.

What I am really interested in is developing the character of this little girl. I want to try to tell a story through flashbacks and hallucinations, try to convey the feeling of being locked away in an isolated cell and haveing painful experements performed on you, when all you want is to be with your freinds and family. I find character development much more interesting than plot.

I want to develope a real connection with this little girl, so that it actually adds significance to the fact that you stoped this great evil and that through your good will a life was saved and now she can be raised in a nice town under your guiding hand.

I don't want to just throw in a generic kid and say "hey, here is a kid, now raise them" that doesn't add depth to the game, that is just another decoration for your house, not a dynamic character you will actually care about.

Now if you think you can do a better job, then go right ahead and give me what ideas you have, I am always listening. ;)

That is in no way, shape, or form anyway true at all. The Faction is nothing like the Enclave in Trouble on the Homefront. ;D

The story with the player character may be similar, but there is no conection with anythin the Faction does and what the Enclave does. The only thing they have similar is that they both have guns and they both wear armor.

The Enclave doesn't even know of Vault 87 untill they follow the player character there

The Faction has already taken over and set up camp in Vault 141

The Enclave is following the player character

The Faction doesn't even know the player character exists

The Enclave wants to capture or kill you

The Faction doesn't care enough about you to bother, unless of course you attack them first

The Enclave is on a mission to get the GECK

The Faction doesn't care anything about the water pump or anything of the sort

The Enclave doesn't care one bit about the Vault

The Faction's main goal is to take over the Vault

The Enclave wants to destroy everyone they see as unfit

The Faction is made up of the outcasts and raiders that fill the wasteland

Seriously, if you can find just one connection between the two groups to back up that statement, I will give you a cookie, or mabe even two :P

:biggrin: don't take this personal, but if you are going to talk down on my quest, at least get the facts correct. Not everyone is after the girl, one group is after the girl... and you just save her because they have her locked away and are performing experements on her. And the Faction quest and the Vault quest are one in the same, the Faction is INSIDE of the Vault... :biggrin:

But anyways,

The simple fact is, this is not a quest mod :smile:

This is an open worlded / sandbox type mod. The idea is not to tell a story through plot, but to open up a whole new aspect of gameplay and to develope a story through environment and characters. The quests that I am going to have as part of this mod are simply put in there as a way to develope the town.

The simple fact is that it is unrealistic for you to just walk into the town and the mayor just gives you a house, and I want the town to start with a broken water purifier so it gives you something that will drastically improve the town.

So why wouldn't I simply just give you a quest that says go into this vault and find the peice I need?

The thing I care about is that it is something worth giving the player character a key to your house for, that it improves the town (what improves the town better than fixing the water purifier), and that it leads into my second quest.

And my second quest is simply there for you to rescue the adoptable child, and put a backstory to the situation and the character.

What I am really interested in is developing the character of this little girl. I want to try to tell a story through flashbacks and hallucinations, try to convey the feeling of being locked away in an isolated cell and haveing painful experements performed on you, when all you want is to be with your freinds and family. I find character development much more interesting than plot.

I want to develope a real connection with this little girl, so that it actually adds significance to the fact that you stoped this great evil and that through your good will a life was saved and now she can be raised in a nice town under your guiding hand.

I don't want to just throw in a generic kid and say "hey, here is a kid, now raise them" that doesn't add depth to the game, that is just another decoration for your house, not a dynamic character you will actually care about.

Now if you think you can do a better job, then go right ahead and give me what ideas you have, I am always listening. ;)

Maybe you should make the girl emo. That would be nice.

I don't think the quest is too much like vanilla. I think it's simple and nice. I like it.

I don't think the quest is too much like vanilla. I think it's simple and nice. I like it.

Well, I wouldn't quite go as far as calling her emo... That is more along the lines of Kaylee

But I guess it would really mean by what you mean by emo because the deffinition really does seem to varry

Kaylee is more of the girl with a real bad attitutde that would rather tell you to f**k off than give you her name

The little girl on the other hand is more socialy inept because she has been locked away from all social contact with people, well, exept for cyborg raiders and mad scientists, but those arn't really people...

But that is a big part of why I am haveing it lead into her story the way it does. I want to add some serious depth to the whole "saving the future of the wasteland" theme by not giveing you some generic kid that doesn't even seem like they need taken care or, but enstead giveing you this emotionally traumatized girl that without you being there for her wouldn't have any sort of future

I want to play off the whole theme of being needed, that is why I jumped at the adoptable child idea when Nalleha requested it. Seriously, what is going to make you feel more needed than haveing to rescue and take care of a little girl who has seen nothing but sorrow for her entire life

It is all about NPC reaction, and I am really working on that on the dialogue I am currently wrighting. The girl starts out secluding herself from the rest of the town and hideing away inside her room because she doesn't trust people. But as you go through the daily dialogue with the child she slowly starts to be more social. You will also get some extreamly short quests that involve talking to the other people in the town to help get her socialy involved (such as talking to Mellisa to try to get the two girls to become freinds).

So the idea is that you slowly help her out and it seems like you are actually makeing a differance

I am going to take every opportunity I can to have other NPC, especially the relationship NPCs comment as much as possible on the development of the girl and how she interacts with the town.

so, at first when you just brought her to the town someone will say "That little girl doesn't seem to like to be around people, she just locks herself away inside her room all the time. Mabe she needs some freinds" but then later they will be saying stuff like "Hey, I saw your little girl out today, it is nice to see her finaly talking to people in the town." and then finally toward the end they will be saying stuff like, "You have the nicest little girl, she is such a big help around town, I would have never expected you to be such a good parent, but you really made a difference for that girl"

But anyways, that is really what I want to do with the first two quests, form a connection with the little girl character and make you actually have sympathy for her and want to save her. That way I can really drive home the point that you are really makeing a difference in the wasteland, a true hero that lights the way for all that are in need.

But that is what I tend to focus on in a story, rather than developing a complex plot. Polt is deffinatly my weakness when it comes to wrighting, becuase I usualy tend to try to tell a story through environment and characters, and I usualy spend more time haveing the characters develope over time as opposed to the plot develope.

While that causes serious issues when wrighting a novel or something like that, inside of a sandbox type videogame I think it fits the media perfectly.

Then again, mabe I am just crazy

I seriously cannot wait to help create what you invision Tony.

On a side note, the Pre-Faction Vault isn't completed due to the fact a friend of mine bought Crysis for me and I was hooked. (never played it before)

I'll finish at least some parts tonight.

IceD

Some people fail to realise the vastness in different ways to tell a story.

I've played wonderful games that have quite vanilla plots but either have a wonderful new gameplay element, or maybe the world is so visually epic you only wish to stop and observe every little detail. OR maybe characters who seem to jump out of the screen and really connect with you.

But the fact remains as Tony said, this isn't like any other games where you "Just have a kid" I mean, "The Sims", "Fable 2", "Harvest Moon" I really couldn't care if the kid lives or dies, they're just generic and vanilla kids who don't treat you any different than the other regular town folk.

But to save the life, really develop that connection, that's what makes it dynamic. This thread is about a Dynamic and Growing Town, where the people are Dynamic, not just flat townspeople you'd kill in a heartbeat. A last symbol of hope and goodness in this desolate wasteland. It's much more interesting to have a child with a past that you must help them overcome than to just have some ordinary kid who lives a perfect life with nothing going wrong, that is what I would call Vanilla.

Oh, and Tony, I posted up the concepts for my mods which both have added content for your DLC if you wish to look over it to see if it fits into your story good enough. (I used your multi-color post format to make it easier to read :P )

Well, I wouldn't quite go as far as calling her emo... That is more along the lines of Kaylee

But I guess it would really mean by what you mean by emo because the deffinition really does seem to varry

Kaylee is more of the girl with a real bad attitutde that would rather tell you to f**k off than give you her name

The little girl on the other hand is more socialy inept because she has been locked away from all social contact with people, well, exept for cyborg raiders and mad scientists, but those arn't really people...

But that is a big part of why I am haveing it lead into her story the way it does. I want to add some serious depth to the whole "saving the future of the wasteland" theme by not giveing you some generic kid that doesn't even seem like they need taken care or, but enstead giveing you this emotionally traumatized girl that without you being there for her wouldn't have any sort of future

I want to play off the whole theme of being needed, that is why I jumped at the adoptable child idea when Nalleha requested it. Seriously, what is going to make you feel more needed than haveing to rescue and take care of a little girl who has seen nothing but sorrow for her entire life

It is all about NPC reaction, and I am really working on that on the dialogue I am currently wrighting. The girl starts out secluding herself from the rest of the town and hideing away inside her room because she doesn't trust people. But as you go through the daily dialogue with the child she slowly starts to be more social. You will also get some extreamly short quests that involve talking to the other people in the town to help get her socialy involved (such as talking to Mellisa to try to get the two girls to become freinds).

So the idea is that you slowly help her out and it seems like you are actually makeing a differance

I am going to take every opportunity I can to have other NPC, especially the relationship NPCs comment as much as possible on the development of the girl and how she interacts with the town.

so, at first when you just brought her to the town someone will say "That little girl doesn't seem to like to be around people, she just locks herself away inside her room all the time. Mabe she needs some freinds" but then later they will be saying stuff like "Hey, I saw your little girl out today, it is nice to see her finaly talking to people in the town." and then finally toward the end they will be saying stuff like, "You have the nicest little girl, she is such a big help around town, I would have never expected you to be such a good parent, but you really made a difference for that girl"

But anyways, that is really what I want to do with the first two quests, form a connection with the little girl character and make you actually have sympathy for her and want to save her. That way I can really drive home the point that you are really makeing a difference in the wasteland, a true hero that lights the way for all that are in need.

But that is what I tend to focus on in a story, rather than developing a complex plot. Polt is deffinatly my weakness when it comes to wrighting, becuase I usualy tend to try to tell a story through environment and characters, and I usualy spend more time haveing the characters develope over time as opposed to the plot develope.

While that causes serious issues when wrighting a novel or something like that, inside of a sandbox type videogame I think it fits the media perfectly.

Then again, mabe I am just crazy

I suggest that you are able decide how the child turns out, and that affects the future of your kid and the responses of other people. For example, if you adopt her with a bad karma, and basically does bad stuff, or even tell her to steal things for you, she'll turn out rebellious. And if with good karma, doing good stuff like donating to the mayor or something, or asking her to send gifts and flowers to people, she'll act good and obedient.

Also, you musn't deprive her from food or entertainment. For example, you must keep alot of food in the fridge, and you can get radios or jukeboxes for her, etc.

Also, if she turns out bad, she'll be your follower but she doesn't listen to orders, but her damage will be high. And if she's good, she'll follow you around providing stimpacks and food.

This is so you can raise the child according to the way you want her to be. Each side has it's pros and cons, for example, bad will steal things for you and pick the lock on doors, but good will heal you and get items or unlocking doors or containers by chatting with other people. Because she's such a cutie ^^

You also must spend time with her, and not leave her alone too much. Stuff like telling her jokes or bedtime stories daily will make her feel less deprived, and leaving her alone with your wife will make your wife complain to you about how she has to do everything and stuff.

Just a bunch of ideas ^^