Broken steel Bug

Helldrone

Ok, the reason I am updating this is I have conclusively narrowed the problem (in my case at least) to the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patches. specifically the Broken Steel patch module (all the others modules of the patch for the DLCs and the master patch are fine). Disable that one module before you do down the manhole and until you get to the Presidential Sub-Level (i.e. you are past the door you need the key for), at which point you can safely re-enable that module of the Unofficial Patch.

Voila.

Just hope this saves a few people some serious aggravation :thumbsup:

Dude, THANK YOU!!

I was having this same problem, disabling the Unofficial Fallout 3 Broken Steel module fixes it! Thanks!

• 3 months later...

THANKYOU SO MUCH!!!!

I just came across this same exact glitch today and was driving myself crazy trying to get around it. One simple click and I'm clear and free!!!

Thank you again. Unticking the broken steel UFO3P was the cure for me too.

Just to clarify this, it's not the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch Broken Steel plugin itself that causes that problem, it's turning it into a false .esm with FO3Edit in masterupdate mode that causes the trouble.

The bug mentioned has often been reported & seems to have been atributted to almost every major mod around from MMM, FOOK to the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch Broken Steel plugin.

It's not actually specific to any one mod though.

It's a problem caused by running two master files (.esm) that are changing the same location in a certain way & because one used to be an .esp & thus does not have the proper override entries for it's changes.

That's usually due to FO3Edit, in masterupdate mode, being run to false flag .esp's as .esm's.

That's useful in some cases (fixes body mismatch colors on .esp's that add NPC's) but can cause a lot of trouble in some .esp's.

In your case the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp.

The good news is you can fix the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp by using FO3EditMasterRestore on it or simply replacing it with a fresh copy of Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp from the UF3P download.

You'll find an unmodified version of Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp won't cause the problem.

You can check to see if any .esp's are flagged as .esm's by left clicking on them in your Mod Manager, Red writing will come up warnig it's been flagged. Some plugins will be fine flagged as .esm's.

NEVER run masterupdate on Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp & probably best avoided running it on the other UF3P DLC patches too.

If you use masterupdate again, before you run it, untick Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp & anything else you don't want flagged as .esm's in your data list & that way it won't get changed.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

• 2 months later...

Now, I don't know if the previous answer is what I need, but every time I exit the control tower after deciding to nuke either option (Adams or Citadel), I talk to Sarah and enter the Vertibird when the screen goes black, but I still have sound. Will the above-mentioned patches work to correct this hiccup or should I uninstall and then re-install the game? Any help is appreciated.
I'm not using any mods if that helps you with an answer. I bought the game from Steam in April.

Edited by sithlordguy46