Folder Structures?

j4y1981

First of I’ve compiled a weapon mod (meshes/textures/sounds) for myself using existing mods on FO3Nexus but when I copy the folders into my Data folder and load the GECK the textures wont load. The folders themselves are named the same in both meshes and textures and I’m pretty sure it's worked before. The other thing is i wanted to keep better track of what i'm doing in the GECK and not all showing up under Weapons. EG something like

Data/Meshes/Weapons/MyMod/Gunname/

Data/Textures/Weapons/MyMod/Gunname/

If someone could point out what i'm doing wrong i'd be greatly obliged. :)

Sorry i ment when ever i go to change the mesh of say the 10mm pistol to that of a m92 beratta its shows as red. i wanted to know how to link the texture to that mesh as ive noticed that alot of people dont create texture sets in there mods which is the only way i know how to do it in the GECK.

From what you said, you are going to need to use nifskope to change the texture paths for the textures.

download nifskope u can find it with google. niftools or nifskope

now you can do stuf to nifs . go to view and make sure u got block list and block details checked so it shows stuff.

for each node except for the bhkcollisionobject you need to expand it and open up nitristrips bsshaderpplightingproperty bssshadertextureset and click on the little purple flowers that appear below to set the new texure paths.

Remember that if you move the textures a model is supposed to use, you'll have to redirect the BSShaderTextureSet to this new location as it will otherwise search for the texture in the old location, even though it's not actually there. Also remember to keep the file path relative to the textures folder as not doing so will cause problems when distributing the mod due to people using different folder structures (ie. the file paths need to be relative to your textures folder).

Remember that if you move the textures a model is supposed to use, you'll have to redirect the BSShaderTextureSet to this new location as it will otherwise search for the texture in the old location, even though it's not actually there. Also remember to keep the file path relative to the textures folder as not doing so will cause problems when distributing the mod due to people using different folder structures (ie. the file paths need to be relative to your textures folder).

You can create a texture set in GECK and direct it there instead, no need to mess with nifskope.

You can create a texture set in GECK and direct it there instead, no need to mess with nifskope.

True, it's almost as cumbersome as working with NifSkope in my opinion though. But yes, generally if you are making a retexture of a vanilla item I'd recommend doing exactly this as you won't have to ship the mod with a copy of the model. If you are retexing or setting up textures for a new model I'd recommend using NifSkope however. :)