hello everyone

i have heard people say that gunpowder is "the great equalizer"

i feel that is a load of BUNK

gunpowder lets us shoot people from over a mile away

i feel that the great equalizer is the fist

almost everyone has em, and are used naturaly

how do you guys feel

what IS the great equalizer?

A bullet is an equalizer because you don't have to spend years in a monastery learning how to hone it into a deadly device. You buy it, point it, and click it. Equal.

Good luck shooting at something a mile away though.

they have some amazing guns out there

and a fist is a weapon you learn to use yourself

before clubs, man used the fist

How can blasting a gat at poor helpless Tyrone be equal? Unless he had one of his own, guns aren't exactly equalizers...

It's not simply a matter of going out and buying a pistol and 200 rounds of 9 mm. It's not that simple, seeing as how you need a LICENCE to even own a firearm in the US. And ALL submachine guns are ILLEGAL to own by Average Joe in the US.

However, if you're being hunted by psychopathic Big Tony, having a Deagle would be nice...

I suppose it depends on who you ask in this case - if you're big and burly, fists can be your equalizers, but if you're a scrawny toothpick, having a big gun can mean the difference.

Before guns, Strong men ruled. A trained swordsman could easily force his will on anyone who was not a trained warrior - 95% of the population. After guns became common, any 90 pound weakling or even a woman who had a gun (and knew how to use it) could effectively defend themselves from the trained warrior. So in effect, the gun made the 90 pound weakling with no combat training, equal to the warrior.

Thus, any man (or woman) with a gun became equal to any other as strength, skill and training no longer mattered as much.

I suppose it depends on who you ask in this case - if you're big and burly, fists can be your equalizers, but if you're a scrawny toothpick, having a big gun can mean the difference.

Fists don't even hold a candlestick to guns... never have, never will. As said by others, a 5'0" dwarf weighing 80 pounds, wielding a .22 pistol could easily dispatch an 8 footer weighing half a ton, proficient in kung-fu and street fighting. While such an extreme case would probably never happen, the fact that guns overpower any other form of weapon; sword, club, whatever, remains steadfast.

While it takes a measure of skill to accurately aim a gun at someone and take them down within a single shot, No matter who fires it, so long as the bullet hits, it'll do the same damage.

Fists require a level of knowledge and strength, and co-ordination to use. If an an apprentice manages to land a punch against a master, He won't know the correct techniques to inflict damage. The master, however, could bring the apprentice to his knees in a single hit.

The bullet, when it hits, will tear the same hole for the apprentice as it does the master. Which is why it's the equalizer.

any 90 pound weakling or even a woman

Hahaha, oh wow. I asked for good Internets and I got them.

The word "even" really adds a whole new level to that sentence. =P

But taking things out of context.. well.. that never ends nicely.

As said by others, a 5'0" dwarf weighing 80 pounds, wielding a .22 pistol could easily dispatch an 8 footer weighing half a ton

That dwarf would want to be a good shot.

22 pistol rounds bounce off pine board at 3 metres.

He'd need to hit the eyes or would just make the 8 foot dude angry.

A 22 pistol is useless at distance and lacks any stopping power up close, the big guy would absorb the shots fired in the laughable "effective range" of the 22 and overpower the dwarf.

It could, however, be the catalyst needed for a new world record dwarf throw.

The great equalizer between rich and poor people.

A poor man walks up toa vending machine and inserts a dollar, it spits it bakc out. He tries again and it takes it.

A rich man walks up to a vending machine and inserts a dollar, if he even has one, it spits it back out. He tries again and it spits it back out.

That is one of the many great equalizer.

Guns are the Great Equalizer between the strong and the weak.