Your most unique Oblivion experience?

Herculine

When I first played vanilla Oblivion, while exploring the IC Market District for the first time, I noticed all the guards suddenly taking off running as if toward some emergency. Assuming that this was part of a quest that I needed to see, I of course took off after them to see what was going on. They ran through the next district (Elven Gardens, isn't it?), more guards joining them as they went. When they reached the Talos Plaza, the guards from that district joining them as well, they all hauled tail outside and down the hillside, where they all proceeded to attack a wild boar. Once they had slain the boar, they ran on until they found a wolf, which of course they also killed. Then they saw a deer and took off after it as well. Being a first-level character I couldn't really keep up with that chase, so I finally left the mob of guards to go on about their little hunting spree without me. It was then that I discovered Shady Sam as I watched a different deer run up to him and he in turn petted it, another occurrence which I've only seen that one time. Still new to the game, I was in awe of the AI system of Oblivion. To this day I still don't know what had caused the IC guard killing spree and have never seen it happen again, so it remains one of my most unique and memorable Oblivion experiences.

What was your most unique and memorable Oblivion experience?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first realized there was a fast travel option via the use of the map. I had been doing the traditional Morrowind-style run-to-your-destination-and-check-out-ruins-and-dungeons-and-stuff for four months.

Another thing that amazes me is the fact that Oblivion's vanilla water obscures your vision, a lot. (which is why I now use a water mod.)

When I got killed for not obeying what Baurus said at the start, "STAND OVER BY THE WINDOW, PRISONER". (I believe its a glitch, however.) When I was dead, he said "Stay put, prisoner." (Maybe it was Glenroy.)

When I got paralyzed whilst on the edge of a bridge in the planes of oblivion and fell into the lava... Now I try to stay away from cliffs/edges in the planes of Oblivion. :P

It may not seem like much to some people, but it was pretty crazy for me...

When I beheld the edge of the map for the first time.

A long time ago, I was really into making Doom maps. Really into making Doom maps. I would make Doom maps so large and wide open, and so detailed, that I would crash the game upon testing. It didn't take much in those days, but I was going to know exactly how much I could get away with, by God. Every time I tested, I would get this heart-pounding chill. Would the past three hours of work all be for naught when that one surface I was having all these doubts about crashes the game upon first coming into view? Or would I skate by once again with my epic-sized Doom level?

Well, one night I decided I was just going to go for it. I ran to the extreme Northwest corner of the map. I started at Beldaburo, crossed the Brena river and started off. I was amazed at how much there was out there, how much they could have, and should have, spread all the ruins and forts. First I thought, the edge of the map has got to be on the far side of that mountain. I mean, you can barely see that mountain from the main game area, so why even make anything beyond it? Well, I got to the top of it, and there was even more map spreading out. I started down, and soon I was in a long valley.

I put my marker on the corner, passed it, and there was still map. A lot of map. And a lot of trees. I kept running, always downhill. Always toward something else.

Soon the bushes all gave way and it was just trees and bare, repeating ground. Then I could see through the trees at a horizon line. My God, was there a vast plain out there? Or was it like the ocean in GTA, it just renders forever?

By this time, my heart was pounding. All that old latent fear from my too-large Doom mapping days was coming back. I didn't really think anything bad would happen. I've crashed the game just from going into a stable. You just restart and hope you saved recently. No big deal. But I was still getting more and more worried.

And then I saw a weird graphical glitching ahead of me. The horizon turned into a big polygon wall and then back into a horizon. And then I was standing on the edge of polygon ground, looking down into a rendered infinitely far away horizon.

So I jumped.

I fell through the horizon, but it was still far away. The only way I can describe it was like falling through the video of the horizon. I know it was a polygon with an infinite distance texture on it, but it took me by surprise anyway. I was sure I was in for infinite falling. In GTA San Andreas it's called Blue Hell. I was sure I was in for Blue Hell, and my heart was pounding.

But then I just hit a brown polygon. All in all it was about a 50 foot drop. I died from it, but I was lying on the edge of that as well, so what would have been beyond?

I have the Fatality Cam mod, so I can look at my body before reloading. That huge polygon went on into the distance, under Cyrodill, presumably the same dimensions as the game space. There were weird verticle polygons hanging down from the sky in diagonal directions.

It was at this time that I noticed I had been sweating profusely, and I was all keyed up inside. A while ago I went into the forest East of Leyawiin. I couldn't bring myself to keep going. I know it's silly, but I seem to have an innate phobia of unknown territory in games now.

:blink:

I traveled with a Imperial Forester all across Cyrodiil once. It was a truly epic adventure, it lasted about 2 hours. I met him north of Bruma and then we traveled in a circle across the province and at last ended up in Weye.

I have over 200 MB of screenshots that I took during this time. I wish I had used FRAPS to record the whole thing, though the file size of that video would have been insane.

A long time ago, I was really into making Doom maps. Really into making Doom maps. I would make Doom maps so large and wide open, and so detailed, that I would crash the game upon testing. It didn't take much in those days, but I was going to know exactly how much I could get away with, by God. Every time I tested, I would get this heart-pounding chill. Would the past three hours of work all be for naught when that one surface I was having all these doubts about crashes the game upon first coming into view? Or would I skate by once again with my epic-sized Doom level?

I love Doom maps! Did you ever post any on any of the community sites? If so, did you use a different name? If not, do you still have them lying around? If so, I would love to see them!

I love Doom maps! Did you ever post any on any of the community sites? If so, did you use a different name? If not, do you still have them lying around? If so, I would love to see them!

I never posted them. I was never even involved with an online community back then. I probably would have been too intimidated in those days.

As for right now, I'm afraid I don't really know where they are anymore, sorry. We're talking over ten years ago here, for the majority of it, and just under ten for the rest.

I'm flattered by your interest though. :thanks:

• 1 month later...

I don't know how unique it was, but it was certainly memorable:

I'd just got the Nothing You Can Possess quest from Umbacano, and had bumped into Claude Maric outside, who aked me to come for a drink in the Tiber Septim Hotel. I followed him in there, dressed only in the Robe of Glib Tongues, as I didn't expect any combat in the IC.

Imagine my surprise when I saw a Goblin Shaman and a Spirit of the Forest (and their summoned creatures) in the hotel, fighting it out with the customers! A quick change into armour and some dead creatures later, I surveyed the scene to find two dead customers on the floor with the others calmly chatting over their corpses ("I saw a mudcrab the other day. Horrid creatures!" Fine, but you didn't notice the guy who's dead at your feet?)

I resurrected the dead NPC's and got on with the game, but the question remains: how the hell did the Goblin and the Spirit get in there? :confused:

Killed by a mudcrab.

I was fighting with some bandits somewhere near the IC and they hurt my character badly in the fight, so I hid him behind a rock to heal his wounds, only to be killed seconds later by a mudcrab that camed from behind. I have disabled music disabled in my game as I like to roleplay. I felt so stupid..