GECK: file "x" is a master file or is in use

SRMobile

First time poster, first time modder :)

I followed the tutorial video on creating a new vault. I used different vault pieces than in the demo but my problem is when I decided to test it, my character would spawn under some stairs. After skipping a head a few chapters, I found that I need to use the "COCMarker" to place my guy at the top of the stairs.

Great, so after reading this I go into the GECK make the change and was met with "x is a master file or is in use". So basicaly I need to save my changes under a different name, but this creates a seperate esp file without all the data I need from my original one.

I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong,

Thanks for your help in advance,

Cheers,

SR

No, the only thing I had open was the esp file I had created and the fallout3.esp, it was loaded as a master file since it wasn't appears in the fallout3.esp.

I guess to simply my question, how do I edit my original ESP file ?

If I open it, it won't let me save to it because its in use; I find it hard to beleive I would be required to sit there and make a perect esp file without being able to test it.

Thanks in advance :)

Yes but when I set it as a master file, when I make changes to my file and want to save it, I am required to save it as a different name because it is in use.

I tried saving it as a different name but I am required to combine the 2nd file with the first for the change to come into affect in the game.

Hope this sheds more light on my problem!

Your help and comments are appreciated!

Cheers,

SR

I dont make lotsa esps except for testing stuff i make but I take it that geck wont let you modify esm files.

Then you gotta use fo3edit.

Click on the esm file and it should have a record header appear on the right side panel. on the top you can change the record flag from ESM to blank.

Then the file should become a regular plugin again.

Thanks baduk, but I just got home and checked, I've provided some information that wasn't acurate.

I load the fallout3.esm with my first mod of vaultSR.esp.

After saving vaultSR.esp and trying it in the game, I found some changes I wanted to make. When opening the GECK, I now need to select fallout3.esm AND vaultSR.esp to work on my mod. When I'm satisfied with the changes and go to save my mod I am told that vaultSR.esp is in use......

The only work around is to actualy save my changes to a new file vaultSR-2.esp, but as a result; I now have to load vaultSR.esp AND vaultSR-2.esp in the game or my changes won't take affect.

Do I still need this other tool ?

Thanks again,

Cheers,

SR

Okay looks like I figured it out.

It appears as though you have to deselect the esp file you are working on under DATA, then it prompts you to save the changes. This is a bit rediculous IMHO but anyway, it seems like I got it now.

Thanks for the replies,

Cheers,

SR

When you first open the Geck and click open. Choose fallout3.esm and whatever mod you want to change. Before you click load click once on your mod and click set as active. If you get a warning after clicking load then you have done it wrong.