Hammonds Coat of Arms / Family Crest

LHammonds

I was looking back on the family crest and I think I found the closest one (coat of arms are really assigned to individuals, not entire families)

I thought it would be awesome to create a shield and sword stand with this family crest in Oblivion.

After much research on the topic, I decided that rather than going with family crests from generations ago that it is about time a new family crest is created. An American coat of arms if you will that describes our current family values and deeds.

I quickly cranked out my own crest this morning and then later found some pages that explained a great many details of the symbolism in family crests which makes me think I should re-think my original design but I also think it funny that my initial design has a story to tell that I was unaware of when I did it. hehehe.

Here are some tid-bits I found which relate to what I had created (before I found the symbol explanations)

Colors

Red - Warrior or martyr; Military strength and magnanimity

Blue - Truth and loyalty

Symbols

Eagle - Person of noble nature, strength, bravery, and alertness; or one who is high-spirited, ingenious, quick-witted, and judicious; "True magnanimity and strength of mind" acc. to Guillim.

Helmet - When depicted on the shield, denotes wisdom and security in defense; strength, protection, invulnerability.

Sword/Dagger/Dart/Sabre/Scimitar - Justice and military honour (There is not one for an M16 but I'd guess it would go here)

Shield Division Style

Quartered - Unity and Balance

Good reference site: fleurdelis.com

Once I finish the design, I will look into creating an actual wooden heater shield to display my coat of arms.

WARNING:

Please keep in mind that you do NOT have to give your real name and for those minors, I encourage you to NOT give your real name.

For example, my last name really is Hammonds but doing research into the origins of this name, there are many different spellings. The most common is Hammond but more ancient variations include very different spellings such as Amon and thus, Amon could be used instead to keep my real name secret.

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/Blackwidow5080/murphycrestlarge.gif

The color red (Gules) represents military might and martyrdom. The white (Argent) represents sincerity and peace.Also, the color black (or Sable) can represent constancy and grief. The lions featured on the crest represent fierce and courageous, and can also represent a great war chief that may have led the family. In many examples of the crest, there is a helmet present also which means wise defense.

I come from the east(Ireland) and the west(philippines) and ended up in the middle (USA) how perfect!

also the name Murphy in Gael ( O'Murchadha) means "Sea Warrior":biggrin:

Not bad. Let's turn this into a game:

http://www.irishsurnames.com/coatsofarms/c/cochrane-coat-of-arms-family-crest.gif

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/Clan_member_crest_badge_-_Clan_Cochrane.svg/488px-Clan_member_crest_badge_-_Clan_Cochrane.svg.png

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/images/p1322.gif

Without looking at the picture sources, can you guess my clan?

How did you find all that out?
Initially, my father told me that we had a ancient coat of arms in the England museum. Supposedly, our name was there well BEFORE the Normans invaded but nothing can be proven since most records in England during the time period were destroyed.

It is funny how our ancestors valued honor, truth and protecting those that cannot defend themselves...here we are today and those same values have been passed down from parent to child and it seems to set us apart from others...meaning our entire family values being honorable people and holding ourselves and those around us to a higher standard.

But back to your question, I mainly used google to search for "Hammonds Coat of Arms" and then "Hammonds Family Crest" which lead me to various sites which allowed me to search for other terms which lead me to other sites. A LOT of reading was done and I know tons more about heralding now than what I did this time yesterday. :)

LHammonds

Well, my real second name, "Kubba" is an Iraqy name, so I doubt theres a crest for that. But I found one for my middle name, Ingham.

http://www.heraldry.ws/gif/ingham.gif

I think its rubbish... its not coollike all the others... yeah... :P

I think its rubbish... its not coollike all the others... yeah... :P
But these are for SPECIFIC ancestors. They were not truly "Family" crests that each family member for each generation had. Each person had their own...either a slight variation of their ancestor or something completely their own...hence my idea to create one for myself.

Might be a cool idea if members of the Oblivion community found or made up their own coat of arms and we put them all into one mod. ;)

LHammonds

Might be a cool idea if members of the Oblivion community found or made up their own coat of arms and we put them all into one mod. ;)

LHammonds

I agree with your idea, it would be awesome to have this project be born, for showing and sharing our own symbols and the symbols of the Nexus community, why not, and putting them together in a mod... you are great LHammonds. :thumbsup:

We should have thought of this during the millionth member competition ;D.

Sounds like a great idea. A little legion of nexus-members...or wasn't it necessarily targeted at shields?