ℹ️ Download History temporarily unavailable ×

Dwarf Fortress

Povuholo

With that RR graphics overhaul, I might just try this game. Before it looked so weird I couldn't make sense of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RantingRodent is busy with other things so won't be updating his pack for now. Still, there are good alternatives that are up to date with the newest releases:

Ironhand's Graphics Set

Phoebus' Graphics Set

I believe the popular Mike Mayday graphics pack also got an update but I never liked that, I find it too cartoony.

I'm currently using Ironhand's, which includes some tiles from RantingRodent's pack too. If you download it here, you'll have the full package including the latest release of the game itself.

Edit: Actually, that pack is currently bundled with 0.31.11 but the latest version is 0.31.12. In that case you can just install the upgrade pack.

Pheobus' is excellent, it's probably my favourite now. I used to like Mayday's, but I agree there are plenty of better alternatives nowadays. It's also available with 30.12.

In other news, I saw 2 of my dwarves spar the other day :O And my marksdwarf even shot at a kobold thief! It looks like the military is almost fully working, at last. It's great :D

Oh, my fortress have survived a whole year! That's a first. Now, what's left to do is to set up a functional trade depot, a functioning militia and a metal industry. And perhaps an alternative for Dwarven wine, they're getting quite fed up with the stuff. I've also found very rich veins of gold and silver, which (hopefully) means Ka-Ching!

By the way, say I construct a tunnel towards a water source (I'm thinking of creating a way to flood the noble's quarters if they get too annoying). If I put up a floodgate, can a dwarf still pass through, like a door? Some poor miner have to breach the wall to allow the water in, and I'd hate to lose one.

Floodgates can only be opened and closed using a lever, and there's a small delay between pulling it, and the gate opening/closing. When they're closed, nothing can get through, but when they're open, anyything can.

Miners can escape without drowning if they breach a water source - they can get away before the water gets too deep for them. Magma, however, will kill them instantly, since it burns them as soon as they touch it.

Also, make sure there's a way to a) lock your nobles in their room when you flood it, and b) a way to drain the water out again.

Noes! My beautiful fortress was raised by a Goblin ambush! D':

The Fortress of Blisterbroke the Morsel is no more. Deserted and lonely, it withers among the windswept mountains. The steadfast rule of The Roasted Aunts... Shattered. Their bones now litter the defiled halls. The great Dwarven civilization of The Righteous Barque have lost one of it's shining beacons of order and strength admist the ocean of chaos and Goblin marauders.

No longer shall it's prized Plump Helmet Mushroom Wine take it's place on the caravan's mules. No longer shall the streams of iron, gold and silver flow from the mines...

Two years. It is true, what the wise council of The Scented Oar says. Complacency heralds destruction in no uncertain terms...

What did we learn this time? Moar traps! And a functional fortress militia and a crossbow under every pillow certainly helps:P

Losing is Fun! :D

I haven't tried using a lot of traps yet. I've heard they are supposed to be a lot less overpowered compared to the 40d release, where having a 3 square hallway filled with 7 rows of traps would stop an entire invasion force.