energy weapon perks mod, looking for advice or help

Solgath

so recently i got back into fallout 3 and have always been into energy weapons, and so i decided to create a Laser Knight of the wasteland, focus on energy weapons, and in power armor, now my problem is that looking at the mod list, there really isn't anything that makes you better with energy weapons, now increases to power when you use them or anything, so my question is how would i go about creating a mod with perks or perk that improves your weapon damage with energy weapons, maybe cover all energy weapons, from the humble laser pistol, to the advance alien tech you get in Zeta, and give it a few ranks so you can become that ultimate laser knight of the wasteland...

nothing to over powered, maybe 5 ranks

and making something like "increases energy weapon damage by 2% per rank, and at max rank (or mastery) it gives 5% increase to damage"

thoughts? advice? i welcome it all.

edit: so i found a tutorial for entry point perks, and it worked for the first rank, and 5th rank, but the ones in between had no effect so i'm thinking i need to make a range of perks to improve your damage with energy weapons, but the 2x damage increase seems a bit much, is it possible to make it percentage based?

Edited by Solgath

Try this: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/8834/?

Yes, this plugin adds some. Round about pfh... +100 new ones with different firemodes for each. You can, regardless of which skill you prefer, use every weapon efficient if you act with caution and don't use the VATS mode on lower levels, which can result in not hitting the wall in front of you if you lack the weapons skill.

You won’t see many modern weapons in this plugin. And by modern I mean real time firearms like a Famas or an mp7. Breaking the lore is no problem to me but I always appreciated, that this games didn’t add the millionth MP5 or other things that I saw in any other shooter. If you want to use such weapons with Fo3T I recommend you the ARSENAL mod by Toxa or the 20th CENTURY WEAPONS mod by Einherjrar. Just uncheck the weapons esp file before you use them.

Every weapon does have its advantages and disadvantages and are of very different use in different situations. Using a pistol against a raider will work fine, but if you want to be it effective against a Talon mercenary, your character should really know how to handle the gun. The same counts for the enemies, because they use the same instruments as you.

Every weapon can be repaired with appropriate clutter parts. From the good old scrap metal, over the hammers and wrenches, to pilot lights and fission batteries. All vendors have a chance to have some of these parts or sale. But to fully repair a weapon, you need larger amounts of repair items than before. Scavenge them and save them for later, or if you get a good weapon, repair it, before you use it.

If you lack the skill of a weapon you would like to use, you can switch the firemode. You can do this by double clicking your weapon in the inventory. Changing the firemodes will change the way you have to use the weapon and can make it useful even for an unskilled character. All enemies can spawn with a gun switched to a firemode, based on their nature. Raiders and Super Mutants will not often use the AIM firemode, but the OVERDRIVE or OVERLOAD or AUTO mode; more skilled enemies will more often use the AIM firemode and so on.

You can change the firemode only in the inventory menu of your pipboy. You can too assign the weapon to a hotkey. But if you changed the firemode, you have to reassign the weapon to a hotkey.

There are different firemodes for different types of weapons:

SAW
Chainsaws use this firemode. Looks ridiculous in 3rd person, but somehow it's absolutely cool. Instead of swinging the chainsaw, you use it for what it was meant to do with: Sawing something.

REVERSE
Only on short knife weapons. The blade points to the ground while holding the knife. Less critical hit chance, higher critical damage. Faster attack speed.

AIM
All weapons can be switched to this firemode. The AIM firemode doubles your hit chance, critical chance, critical damage and cuts the spread in two. It increases the damage your weapon takes from using it. Uses 25% more Action points. The AIM firemode is the only one that allows the use of a weapons scope if you play with firemodes. If you don’t, the scopes work the normal way.

AUTO
Only a few weapons do have this firemode. The AUTO firemode well... it makes your weapon fire automatically, as long as you keep the trigger pulled. But it cuts the weapons hit chance, critical hit chance and critical damage in half, doubles the weapons spread and damages the weapon like hell. The advantage is, that it will make a hell of damage if it hits too. Good for desperate situations or larger amounts of hostile actors. Needs 100% more action points, so for some weapons you have to take a Jet to use this firemode.

SINGLE
One shot per pulling the trigger. Greatly increases your hit chance, critical hit chance and critical damage. Used by automatic rifles and guns. Reduces your spread. With this firemode you can use assault rifles for longer distances. Greatly reduces the amount of used action points in VATS.

STRONG
Used only by melee weapons. Doubles the damage, lowers the hit chance, costs 100% more Action points, damages the weapon.

OVERDRIVE
The most fun firemode in my opinion. Used by all Chain guns. It doubles your rate of fire, eats a lot of ammo, doubles the spread, reduces your hit chance and makes heavy damage to the weapon. But it mows the foes like tin cans. Super Mutants like to use this firemode. Very extensive.

OVERLOAD
Used with all energy weapons. A powerful firemode. Works like the OVERLOAD firemode, despite the fact that it doesn't increase your rate of fire but the damage the weapon deals.

Every kind of weapon does have its own fixed 5% chance to cause a critical hit effect. Energy weapons can lower the energy resistance for a short while, or cause energy burnings. Projectile weapons can cause open wounds and knockdowns, right like melee weapons. No energy weapon, neither from a robot nor an npc will burn the hit enemy to an ash pile anymore, though an "ash piled" actor can't respawn. Instead you will see a spectacular hit shader if your weapon does a critical hit.

Weapons can, apart from the normal critical damage, cause different critical hit effects, depending on the weapon type you are using. The chance that such an effect occurs is always very low. Every critical hit does have 3 independent chances to cause an effect. The effect will happen if a dice with 100 sides rolls a number, that is smaller than your Luck.

- Bullet Projectile weapons
3 health damage for 5 seconds
Knockdown
Reducement of 15 damage resistance for 120 minutes

-Arclight energy weapons
5 damage for 5 seconds
Mass incineration (Setting everything around the hit enemy on fire)

-Laser weapons
3 health damage for 5 seconds
Paralysis for 5 seconds

-Ion and Pulse weapons
Energy resistance reduction 15 points for 3 seconds
50% reducement of the condition of the hit targets weapon

-Plasma weapons
5 damage to all SPECIAL points for 5 seconds
All limb conditions -50%

-Melee Weapons
Knockdown
150 damage to a random limb

Like the armors all weapons do have big damage differences. Don't think you can defeat a Power Armor wearing Enclave Soldier with a simple assault rifle or a Minigun in bad condition in no time. It's not called Power armor for nothing, you know?

just might fit your needs.

kitty

cool, i went and made a mod myself fairly basic, but it adds a perk that doubles damage for energy weapons, i then created another mod, that increased the weapon damage by 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 30%, how ever, i'm not sure how the G.E.C.K handles the multiply by value, value, when i made the new mod i used 1.05, 1.10, 1.15, 1.20, 1.30, was that value set correct? any help with understanding the way the GECK value works would be greatly appreciated.

edit: i got the values for the weapon increase by looking at how the value for Robotics Expert was set up, seeing as that increases weapon damage against robots by 25% the value used there was 1.25, so i think i have the values right, if not, i welcome input on this.

Edited by Solgath

The value of percentages is the same in metric and US standards, a dollar is 100Th's time of 1

0.25 4 4 is 1.0 in either language. metric is better though, more precise.

the confusion is the differences in thought when trying to figure it out. For me, when feeling lazy. 1 dollar divided x4 = .25 and so on.

the multiplier will use what ever is programed into the geck. It's the mod's them selves that get this all hosed up, the differences in applying the logic "metric verses US", and we have to figure out what will cause what with what. who made what and what was used.

your question? LOL is a loaded Gun. I saw the mod you made just after your post. Keep going, your doing just fine.

kitty

thanks, at least the new version is better in some ways to the old, i did feel the old version was over powered, the new version is a lot more balanced, so i hope i got the values right.

I cheat..because i can, when I feel frisky, I don't.....and still get knocked on my Kan!

EVE, positioned weapons mods, old time tinkered weapons, classic's all combined, then we add WMK, iron sights. and we have other things that all get in there and want a piece of the action.

after a while ,I cheat. I use 1 weapon, wear 1 outfit, and check out off things anyone can make and not worry about getting knocked on my can.

So my cheat does not effect any other peoples mods, I get an honest view of things as they go down, I can discuss at length just about any mod I have downloaded and tested. We store information in the mind for things we want and like, for other things we do not like, it fades away; except the bad stuff. That, I never forget.

This is my "balanceing act". conflicts are always going to be there, there really is not much you can do about it except do/try tyour best.

I do.

kitty