For serious discussion of making Multi-player

Cakester

This thread is about turning Fallout 3 into a multi-player game.

This thread is not about what multi-player fallout 3 should be like or if multi-player fallout 3 is a good idea .

I don't have to start college for 11 months. I know a little C++ and plan to learn much more.

I vow to spend as much of my life as possible to get this game to be as multi-player as possible.

I don't expect anyone to want to help until they see some progress. In the next few days, or maybe even a week, I hope to get a simple client and server interaction going as well as having at-least one game function that is server-sided.

There may be future complications when I need a server to host the server application on. But until then I should be just fine testing it on my own computer.

If you have an objection to this or any criticism, please keep it to yourself.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is not an objection but i want to ask you these Qs:

how will you handle player mods?

how will you make chatting available? or will it be a couch-buddy thing?

do you have a team?

how far do you want to go in this project?

do you think this'll work?

whats my favorite colour?

Cakester, bravo to you for being able to implement chatting in game through IRC. Though it's a little rough around the edges, I'm sure some work on UI could help.

Or perhaps you can implement IRC features into the FO3's HUD XML?

As for client-server interaction, I'm not knowledgeable on that department. However, I'm thinking that perhaps you can use script commands such as GetPos X/X/Z as well as SetPos X/Y/Z and UseWeapon-type NPC commands to Get one player's coordinates on one PC and transpose it on an NPC in another PC.

I'm not sure there's a script command for Jumping, but I think it's alright to disable jumping and VATS (which I've no clue how to implement in multiplayer) in order to make a basic FO3 multiplayer work.

As a side idea, what if you make a multiplayer FO3 that's not based on deathmatch?

I'm thinking a space-invaders / beachhead type of game in which two players cooperate in shooting oncoming creatures from fixed positions.

In any case, here's some several problems that needs to be overcome:

1. Getting player coordinates and transpositioning it in another PC

2. Getting what action one player is doing and making its NPC do the same in the other PC

3. How many scripts needed to capture and execute actions.. one script to capture coordinates, one script to capture walking action, one script to capture weapons fire and it's target, etc.

this is not an objection but i want to ask you these Qs:

how will you handle player mods?

how will you make chatting available? or will it be a couch-buddy thing?

do you have a team?

how far do you want to go in this project?

do you think this'll work?

whats my favorite colour?

Player mods won't be supported.

Chatting will be sending messages to each other using a keyboard.

I do not have a team.

Until I feel satisfied.

I think it will work if I can pick a way to do it that gives me control but doesn't eat up the rest of my life.

Your favorite color is Kiwi.

Cakester, bravo to you for being able to implement chatting in game through IRC. Though it's a little rough around the edges, I'm sure some work on UI could help.

Or perhaps you can implement IRC features into the FO3's HUD XML?

As for client-server interaction, I'm not knowledgeable on that department. However, I'm thinking that perhaps you can use script commands such as GetPos X/X/Z as well as SetPos X/Y/Z and UseWeapon-type NPC commands to Get one player's coordinates on one PC and transpose it on an NPC in another PC.

I'm not sure there's a script command for Jumping, but I think it's alright to disable jumping and VATS (which I've no clue how to implement in multiplayer) in order to make a basic FO3 multiplayer work.

As a side idea, what if you make a multiplayer FO3 that's not based on deathmatch?

I'm thinking a space-invaders / beachhead type of game in which two players cooperate in shooting oncoming creatures from fixed positions.

In any case, here's some several problems that needs to be overcome:

1. Getting player coordinates and transpositioning it in another PC

2. Getting what action one player is doing and making its NPC do the same in the other PC

3. How many scripts needed to capture and execute actions.. one script to capture coordinates, one script to capture walking action, one script to capture weapons fire and it's target, etc.

I am unsure of the approach I should take when reading and overwriting game values.