How to texture a landscape

Taters12981

Hey guys :D

I'm new into modding and I'm trying to create a road in a exterior cell but when I get the landscape editing menu up, find a texture, set the opacity to 100% and then right click to texture the landscape only some cells allow the ground to be textured but every cell.

How can I get an exterior cell grounds textured when I can only texture some cells?

Many thanks guys!

Hey guys :D

I'm new into modding and I'm trying to create a road in a exterior cell but when I get the landscape editing menu up, find a texture, set the opacity to 100% and then right click to texture the landscape only some cells allow the ground to be textured but every cell.

How can I get an exterior cell grounds textured when I can only texture some cells?

Many thanks guys!

In brief each game cell can only display 9 landscape textures maximum in game. In the CS, each cell is subdivided into 4 quadrants. When in landscape editor mode, place your cursor over the cell you want info for. Press the "T" button on your keyboard. This will give you a top down view of the cell you are interested in, and will correctly orient your point of view for that cell. Now press the "I" button on your keyboard to open a menu. This will give a list of every landscape texture in use, for each of the four quadrants in that cell. Assuming you didn't change your view position, the four quadrants in the menu are aligned with your current field of view.

If a given quadrant list is full it cannot display any additional textures. To add a new texture in a quadrant that is already full, right click on one of the textures in that quadrant. Either delete it or replace it with another texture. I strongly suggest saving progress before doing this so you can revert unwanted results. Be sure not to delete the dominant texture in a given quadrant, doing so can result in a black texture bug.

If a quadrant list has one empty texture slot, you can add in another texture but it will usually show in the CS as a different texture. It's weird but don't be alarmed, it will still look correct in game. For example a cobblestone path texture may show in the CS as a grass texture in some parts of the cell. it's just a weird glitch that happens when there are 9 textures in a given quadrant...your path will still display properly in game. I usually end up swapping landscape textures around so my roads and paths show properly in the CS...just makes it easier to see what I'm working with. Another thing to be aware of when manipulating landscape textures is how your changes display at the borders with other cells. You don't want to leave ruler straight lines where textures don't match at cell borders. This can take a bit of practice and patience to get right...so don't give up easily.

Good luck and remember to have fun!