Help Newbie with Mods Please!

ray0071

I finally received Oblivion Game of the Year Edition which includes Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine.

First I went to patch the game only to realize that it is not needed if you have GOTY edition.

So then I thought to add some of the most popular mods made for the game - easier said than done...

There is a staggering amount of mods for Oblivion which requires considerable time to go through but the fact that many of these mods conflict with one another makes the task of finding the best (non conflicting) ones overwhelming.

Honestly, I would gladly donate money to this site just if someone could give me a step by step of what mods I could install without conflicts.

Some of the things I am looking for:

1. I don't like the idea of creatures leveling up with me so something that can help balance game - I especially like things that make things more realistic.

2. Anything that improves the Graphics (I have a high end machine with a top notch card so it should be able to handle pretty much whatever I throw at it).

3. More of just about everything - characters, races, items, missions, buildings - anything that adds variety.

Here is a list of mods that interested me - just from one site:

1. Unofficial Oblivion Patch

2. Unofficial Shivering Isles patch

3. Unofficial Official Mods Patch (do I need this?)

4. Darnified UI by DarN

5. Keychain Mod

6. Qarl's Texture Pack III

7. Francesco's Mod

8. not Galsiah's Character Development

9. Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul

10. Deadly Reflex 5.0

11. City Stealth Exits

12. Realistic Fatigue by abo

13. Saddle Bags

14. Drop Lit Torch in Combat

15. Armorylab

16. Bravil Sea Domes

17. Kumiko Manor

18. Mountain Tower

Now if I were to write down mods shown on other sides this list would be huge. Where does one start???

Anyways - I am burnt out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

If you don't like things leveling up around you, you'll probably want to try Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. It's probably the largest Oblivion mod with the most features, and it makes many things static. It will work alongside MMM and Francesco's (or so I'm told) but to do that you'll need another mod called FCOM.

It's also nice to install one by one, then trying them out, so you can give endorsements when you like. It's hard to figure out which mod did what successfully, when you installed quite a few of them.

If you don't like things leveling up around you, you'll probably want to try Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. It's probably the largest Oblivion mod with the most features, and it makes many things static. It will work alongside MMM and Francesco's (or so I'm told) but to do that you'll need another mod called FCOM.

I just tried to install FCOM. I am sure the developers put a lot of time and effort but talk about needing to simplify the install. Sheesh...

I had a full days work that gave me less headache than attempting to get FCOM to work.

I give up.

"Batch "installing mods will lead to nothing but headaches if a conflict arises.

Seconded, and thirded by my imaginary friend. I have pulled this stunt too many times, and each time it has ended in tears. Or rebooting of the computer. Or hurling it out the window.

FCOM IS a pain to install, yes. But hey, it works.

Unnecessary Violence is a cool mod, but I warn you now. There are MANY ways to make it go batshit insane and make your game break.

I dunno if you need it or not, but you might find OBSE useful too.

Finally from me... look into OBMM. If you take no other advice from me, GET OBMM. Oblivion Mod Manager may take longer to boot up than it does you to make and drink a cup of coffee, but it makes life much easier. You can reorder mod loading orders, look for conflicts, activate and deactivate OMOD files easily... best of all, you can make OMODs.

This makes installing and uninstalling mods much, much easier. Much faster to find a problem, too.

In all my years of gaming, I have never encountered a mod so difficult to install.

One mistake, one oversight and the game fails to launch.

I don't mean to take anything away from FCOM's developers but surely they could have created an install that could simplify the current process?

The mod based on description sound fantastic but the delivery/packaging leaves a lot to be desired.

argggg...

I hate being a perfectionist. Now that I have failed in the install x4 times, the game will not be perfect unless I can get this FCOM to work...

Attempt number 5 and counting....

FCOM is absolutely the sickest joke I have seen ever carried out by the modders in my over 20 years of game playing.

Expecting people to spend hours just to install one mod is utterly lunacy.

Completely turned off from this game... what a waste of my time.