Morrowind claims to be missing a DLL

cacophany

Hiya guys, I've been blown away by some of the screen shots that I've seen of Morrowind with some amazing shaders applied through MGE and thought I had to try it myself.

All kinda went smoothly, except that the shaders didn't really seem to work. I was using Phals Sun Rays shader and, seeing as that seemed to be the one that I was having an issue with I decided to read the readme which said: 'You will need MGE SVN rev117, and a MGE d3d8.dll that passes the real sun position and sun visiblity to shaders.' Well, I have the latest version of MGE, so I thought that must be fine so I downloaded the DLL that it said I needed.... Only to be confronted with Morrowind refusing to start and showing an error message stating that 'd3dx9_40.dll' was missing. I can't run the game at all now, and I'd really love to use those sun glares. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. My computer runs Morrowind very, very easily even with Distant Land on, but it seems to overheat like crazy and sometimes even triggers my graphics card to underclock itself drastically in an effort to keep cool. I believe my CPU is also underclocking quite a bit under the strain. Is there any reason Morrowind makes it run SO hot? The performance isn't really suffering at all, just the temperature.

• 3 weeks later...
Try reinstalling DirectX. If you did not have those files on your system then your probably still using DX7. When asking questions like this tis usually best to post your PC stats. I do know by experience that dodgy GFX cards cause all sorts of problems.