Installing mods. mod installer or move them into the data folder

mattyspurs76

Is it best to install them using the mod installer or just drag them into the data folder?

I would presume the mod installer as its easier to remove / turn them off if theres a conflict.

But what about mods that just change textures?

I want to install mods that change the way fallout looks such as high resolution textures. These folders tend to just have a texture folder.

Should i just put these into the data folder or use the mod manager? would it still load them into the relevant files and would they still work?

Thnkx

Personally if it's just a mod I want to "try out" I create a .bsa file containing all the folders the mod author would want you to move to the Data directory. Usually this will work just fine, and makes it easier to remove later if you don't want to use it, but it can cause problems like missing meshes. Just use FOMM to create the .bsa file and name it the same as the main .esp file included with the mod and you're good to go.

Generally though, for compatibility sake, you're better off just moving everything to the data folder like the mod author instructed.

I agree that FOMM is my preferred mod handler, though I prefer to make a mod into a FOMOD without turning it into a BSA. I have found that deactivating a FOMOD is thorough when it comes to deleting mod associated files.

I feel that it is respectful for a mod author to provide a FOMOD version of his mod, but if he has not offered a FOMOD version, then it can still be translated into one by a downloader using FOMM. I would not consider it disrespectful toward the mod author to FOMOD their mod unless they specifically refuse permission to do so.

If any given mod was not a FOMOD and resisted attempts to turn it into one, then I probably would not use it. I am more interested in knowing for certain that I can get rid of a new mod than I am concerned with enabing a new one.