Style or protection?

MS08

Do you prefer to use Stylish gear [even though useless] or proper armour [eg PA]?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Style or Protection?

• Style
    • Protection
    • Bit of both

It seems like style has overtaken protection in fallout modding when people release new mods which are very skimpy, hell i dont discredit the hard work of some of these modders i think there great at what they do and express themselves. but... im sure everyones had the thought of someone playing fallout 3 stopping a huge fire-fight so they can choose what hairstyle is best for firing a missle launcher. though its a good question, what gear does everyone use? mainly for 'looking cute' or for looking like a unstoppable killing machine who's half tank? though mainly i started this to poke fun at the conventions of characters of modded Fallout 3 and oblivion at the same time, though this is mostly about fallout i mean im going to give an example of what i use:

Grey Knight Juscair armour+Helm. this gear has both some style of a futuristic knight and functionality as its basically wearing a nuclear bunker, though the bad thing about this set is that it creates awkward moments incase i have the sudden urge to shout 'For the emperor!'

Black Autumn coat+Dark glasses. apart from making my character seem like a fool, it works pretty well except in combat where i become literally one of those super mutant gore bags, mostly used for larking about in.

post your characters usual gear sets, hell i just want know why styles favoured over protection

[i seriously dont get it, someone enlighten me]

Common enough response, i do DL some style armours for female characters,i guess im guilty of that too. but i do wish people could incorperate the two [not talking about 'bodysuits'] like a 'light' power armour

It depends a lot on the character I'm playing and the playstyle I use for said character. For instance, a guy specializing in big guns I'd normally kit out in the biggest, meanest looking armour I can find to enhance the feeling of baddassery, while I'd typically select something more low-key for a stealth/accuracy based character. Other cases could include "theme" characters like Raider, Mafioso-inspired, "The dude", Enclave, Mercenary etc. where each type only uses appropriate gear for the theme itself.

Of course it's sometimes also fun to just play around with the skimpy outfits from time to time, though it's not something I've done a whole lot in my games. :P

My characters scrounge the best protection that they can find. Found armor and looting for stealthy upgrades is my focus for a newly hatched vaultboy. I like a stealth suit until I swap for combat armor. Upgrade to ranger armor until I get power armor training. When necessary I stow my favorite gear and make use of the best armor I can find that I can repair with drops.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/images/8219-1-1254421063.jpg

Impressive looks draw enemy fire. Give me something stout and easily overlooked please.

Personally I'm more about style. The way I see it there are plenty of armor mods out there that provide adequate protection, but most aren't very impressive looking. Usually just rehashes of what we've already seen.

There are a few that fall into the "Both" category, like the japanese invasion, coyote, and my personal favorite "Sweet Sneak".

But most of the time, when looking at new releases for armor, if it doesn't look cool, I won't bother using it.

I usually wear Combat Armour most of the time, FOOK2's Brotherhood combat armour MKII is really cool, and I especially love the helmet but if I run into Enclave or Deathclaws i'll break out the T-51b

I also sometimes wear a green version of Col' Autumn's loncoat, modified to give Combat Armour lvl protection, along with a green Combat Helmet MK II, which once again looks really cool.

I've modded in several Star Wars and Culture shock weapons, mostly using FOOK 2 and Classic Fallout weapons mod for the Meshes.

Star Wars Blasters

Chinese Pistol for the DL-44,

MG-34 for the DL-19

Pancor Jackhammer as a placeholder for the E-11 (no Sterling SMGs)

Culture Shock weapons

FG42 for the Coru N-12 Combat Rifle, uses the 12mm rounds (5mm replacers)

Classic Fallout weapons version of the Vindicator Minigun for the Coru N-163 Minigun (same as the FOOK2 Vindicator except it keeps the Backpack, which is necessary for the N-163 to make any sense)

i personally wear armor for style if it looks ugly i simply wont wear it and since i know console codes and upping dr is honestly easy as can be i dont have to worry xD and like other ppl i like to make theme chars wearing certain types of armor that fit the theme