Quest woes, any little help appreciated.

Rigmor

The small quest I am working on is based on several helpful tutorials, but as a primarily modeler and texturer, code and script might as well be Predator Alien Speak. Imagine copying Japanese Kanji symbols, I can do that, but understanding it? that's a whole new ball game. This has almost become a mod breaker.

Problem 1:

The good bit: The courier comes up, and hands me the note, I read the note and it tells me to follow the instructions and meet a guy:

The bad bit: The reference marker to the NPC I need to speak to doesn't show up. I have tried everything, any help or pointers would be great.

In the Quest Stages, it points to the NPC, but should there be any conditions? Aliases are all present and correct.

Problem 2: Edit Problem fixed. Just adding what worked for me in case it helps others.

old unworking code:

code script hack hell 1:

Alias_Rigmor_Khajiit_NPC.GetReference().RemoveItem(Alias_Rigmor_Ring.GetReference(),1, False, Game.GetPlayer())

code hack script hell 2.

Game.GetPlayer().AddItem(Alias_RigmorsLetter, 1, true)

Alias_Rigmor_Khajiit_NPC.GetActorReference().RemoveItem(Alias_RigmorsLetter)

new working code:

Game.GetPlayer().AddItem(RigmorsLetter, 1, true)
Alias_Rigmor_Khajiit_NPC.GetActorReference().RemoveItem(RigmorsLetter)
debug.notification("You have Rigmor's Letter")
Notice I dropped the "Alias" tag from the Letter. Worked like a charm,

The good bit: I find and initiate the dialogue with the NPC and it works brilliantly:

The bad bit: Two items in the NPC's inventory which should be passed to the player does not.

The code for container change over is in the Quest Stages script box, and the NPC alias has the items attributed to him.

It really should be a simple procedure I know, but I find myself, after a week of struggle, to be floundering in a script, quest mod hell.

I am constantly dealing with this exact same problem. When it does work, and i mean after it was previously not working, is when I made some correction to the aliases somehow. My understanding is that, more often than not, when something doesn't work in a quest -- code not firing, no quest markers, etc. -- it's because there's some foul-up with the aliases. That's the main reason I avoid aliases. I don't know if it's a bad practice, but if i need to, say, move items around between containers, i'll just create properties right on the stage script and make a reference to the item asset itself. Aliases are just a real pain in the butt and they've never made sense to me and I am constantly having problems with them. Also, I've actually had to recreate quests from scratch because something got screwed up with an alias. Not that I did something to the alias, it just starts causing errors for no apparant reason; and from what I've seen you can' delete aliases without really messing up the quest, even if you don't use the alias anywhere; so i had to resort to recreating the quest.

Crashes, etc. aside, quests and quest creation is by far the buggiest aspect of the CK imo.

anyway, I see now that you say you aliases are all correct, so not sure what else to tell you :/

Learned the hard way, aliases not working,fragment and script errors, definition errors, all related to a bad save game file. Several in fact. The original code I thought was good above , was in fact not helping because I had strayed so far away from the norm I became lost, tired, and frustrated. I found the cause after I deleted the complete script with all the linked properties, and compiled from the quest data and found a new clean script in it's place. In game , items that didn't show up, or quest events that just didn't work, seemed to be there, ie: letters now showed in the NPC's inventory, not everything worked, I still didn't have location markers working, so I went and loaded up a save from before the mod even existed and BAM!!! It all worked like a dream. The target ref's, the aliases, the code needed to take from an NPC, and to my jubilation, to GIVE as well. So if you're a noob quest modder like me, and have these issues, try doing what I did (of course make backup's of your .esp's)

The code I eventually found working to give and take from NPC's was this:

Get items from NPC
Alias_your_NPC.GetReference().RemoveItem(Alias_your_Ring.GetReference(),1, False, Game.GetPlayer())
Give Items to NPC

Game.GetPlayer().RemoveItem(Alias_your_ring.GetReference(),1, False, Alias_your_NPC.GetRef())

Now I need to work out how to make an NPC into a follower during the final SetStage crossover. If anyone can help by pointing to a tutorial or knows the code, it would sure be appreciated.

Make NPC a potential follower, then recruit them

Alias_yourNPC.GetActorReference().SetRelationshipRank(Game.GetPlayer(), 1)