About the file Oblivion - Textures - Compressed

astrob0y

Hi,

this is maybe an old and worn down topic. But I couldnt find any info on that google.com/ place. So I try here.

I do wonder if its ok/safe to run Ordenador 8.3 and optimize the Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa file? Ive taken a quick look at its content it seems to be rather safe to run it.

I'm curious what you'd expect to achieve.

The only issue I've ever run into with a BSA was with a mod added BSA (Alluring Potion Bottles). One of the inventory icons would get missed when the assets loaded from the BSA, but not all the time. Extracting the icon and putting it into the appropriate texture folder resolved the issue.

I'm curious what you'd expect to achieve.

The only issue I've ever run into with a BSA was with a mod added BSA (Alluring Potion Bottles). One of the inventory icons would get missed when the assets loaded from the BSA, but not all the time. Extracting the icon and putting it into the appropriate texture folder resolved the issue.

Well, Im trying to play with Hd-texturs and other stuff and Ive heard that using Ordenador on textures make the game a bit slimer and more stable. Ive used it for landscape/weapon and other textures and have with that saved about 2.3 gb of disc space. Now I want to do the same with the BSA textures.

I do not want to exctract the connect of the bsa, just make that single file a bit slimer - and you can do that with Ordenador rather easy.

But I cant find any information about the pro/cons.

I suppose that makes some sense ... a smaller file will be read by the HD faster (CPU and memory are lightyears faster than hard drives). I would think that the difference would be reduced by SSDs but you still need to read the drive before the game can dig into it.

I suppose that makes some sense ... a smaller file will be read by the HD faster (CPU and memory are lightyears faster than hard drives). I would think that the difference would be reduced by SSDs but you still need to read the drive before the game can dig into it.

Im happy. I found out that Ordenador can back up the files it optimises. So Ive now tried it on the BSA. It took some time for the program to unpack the file and then pack it again, maybe 10 minutes, but it saved me about 400mb of space so Im happy. And the texture quality while playing is the same for my old eyes.

Bsa files are good to reduce the used space, and to manage an archive without having files around in the oblivion data folders.....but.......

The bsa are compressed files in which there are compressed dds texture (dxt5), meshes etc....This means that oblivion wastes time and cpu to uncompress the archive to extract the textures everytime. Same thing for meshes, sounds and so on. i don't use bsas. If you want, you can extract bsas and tell oblivion not using them in oblivion.ini. Be careful! Do not overwrite files extracting bsas otherwise you overwrite mods' data.

I think the best way is using obmm and/or wrye bash and managing the mod by this tool without the bsa. This also for the mod with bsa. I extract them also.

For me oblivion uses between -5% and -10% of cpu and no pauses on loading areas. Last, it is not necessary to run the archive invalidation because there is no bsa archives!

What change do you make to Oblivion.ini so that the game doesn't use BSA files? I'm thinking of maybe trying out a fully extracted BSA setup on my next vanilla install.

Bsa files are good to reduce the used space, and to manage an archive without having files around in the oblivion data folders.....but.......

The bsa are compressed files in which there are compressed dds texture (dxt5), meshes etc....This means that oblivion wastes time and cpu to uncompress the archive to extract the textures everytime. Same thing for meshes, sounds and so on. i don't use bsas. If you want, you can extract bsas and tell oblivion not using them in oblivion.ini. Be careful! Do not overwrite files extracting bsas otherwise you overwrite mods' data.

I think the best way is using obmm and/or wrye bash and managing the mod by this tool without the bsa. This also for the mod with bsa. I extract them also.

For me oblivion uses between -5% and -10% of cpu and no pauses on loading areas. Last, it is not necessary to run the archive invalidation because there is no bsa archives!

Thanks for the information about the possiblity to unpack the .bsa so the game dosent need to do that while playing. Im a bit unsure if I will be able to do something like that by myself so I will save the info to another time when I want to be a daredevil :)