Multiple copies of Fallout on the same computer

TheUndert0ker

Does anyone do this? That is to say, copy their cleanly installed Fallout 3 directory (all 4-5 gigs) into new ones, to then be modded individually to try out different sets of mods that are incompatible? For example FOOK 2.0 and FWE. Both are awesome, but have difficulties.

Or extreme weather mods...like the nuclear winter. Lots of possibilities and you wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of removing those kind of mods if you didn't like them, just delete the directory and go back to your reference build.

I've been experimenting with it, and it does work but I've run into problems where archiveinvalidation invalidated! only works for the primary install, not the copied one. Which means problems with mods not working...you have to manually create the archiveinvalidation.txt file yourself which is a pain if you want to run heavy mods.

Should mention that you can't install fallout 3 twice, the dvd will try to uninstall, it's like the registry only wants to see it once. And the archiveinvalidation invalidated! app cues off the primary install.

This sounds complicated...lol. If anyone's got it working, I'd love to hear how. =)

No, I haven't got two installs on one system. I do have it installed on my laptop & desktop systems.

on the archiveinvalidation invalidated! problem you should be able to copy/paste the "ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa" to the alternate install's "Data" folder & delete the archiveinvalidation.txt.

alot of games don't want multiple installations (on the same system) so that's nothing new there even though it usually causes no problem to copy it.

I've got two installations of Fallout 3 on my laptop with no problems whatsoever. I simply copied my two Fallout 3 directories (the one containing my data and the one containing my saves) and I give the one that I'm not using a different name. When I want to swap installations, I rename the directories again so that the active directories are named "Fallout 3".

Cipscis