Risen

Lucidx

• 3 weeks later...

AH yes Risen, I believe this is JoWood's redemption for the technical flop that was Gothic 3 (I still love youre games though!!!)

I have to admit that the graphics in Gothic 3 blew me away, not really the way the NPCs and characters looked (they looked like silly puddy) but the way the game world looked. Talk about a great looking game haha, Gothic 3 was it. Had a wonky fighting system that almost ruined it for me, but whatever still a great game.

I hope that JoWood did put the same amount of craftsmanship and attention to detail as they did for the Gothic series.

I havent tried the demo, nor do I have money to buy it since Im jobless right now :(

But knowing JoWood and the all the work and attention to detail they put into the Gothic series, I think Risen is going to be 100% awesome :)

Bethesda should take some notes haha on how to a deeply immersive RPG :D

Been playing this for a while now, and am enjoying it quite a lot. Its certainly a very good game, though pretty unforgiving. Until you've got your skills up, almost everything can kill you with ease, and even once you've got your skills up a bit, its extremely hard. I'm 10 or 12 hours into the game now, and unless I'm careful, most enemies can still kill me - the number of healing potions I get through is unbelievable. Fortunately I was able to forge myself a decent sword, and I nicked a large shield off some guy in harbour town, so I'm surviving mostly. The insta-death traps in the ruins are a nightmare though as well, you really need to pay attention to what you're doing, and save often.

One issue I do have with it is the experience system - I don't like the fact that improving skills and attributes costs gold, as well as experience points. It doesn't seem realistic, and makes it a lot harder to get enough money to spend on other stuff (though, to be fair, there isn't that much other stuff to spend it on). Its a shame about the lack of armour/clothing too - you can't buy any anywhere, so presumably you get given some at some point, but it would be nice to have a bit more variety.

Other than those few issues, its definitely an excellent game, well worth a try. And yes, the graphics are a LOT better than the 360 version. I reckon those screenshots jim posted don't really do it justice either.

Been playing this for a while now, and am enjoying it quite a lot. Its certainly a very good game, though pretty unforgiving. Until you've got your skills up, almost everything can kill you with ease, and even once you've got your skills up a bit, its extremely hard. I'm 10 or 12 hours into the game now, and unless I'm careful, most enemies can still kill me - the number of healing potions I get through is unbelievable. Fortunately I was able to forge myself a decent sword, and I nicked a large shield off some guy in harbour town, so I'm surviving mostly. The insta-death traps in the ruins are a nightmare though as well, you really need to pay attention to what you're doing, and save often.

One issue I do have with it is the experience system - I don't like the fact that improving skills and attributes costs gold, as well as experience points. It doesn't seem realistic, and makes it a lot harder to get enough money to spend on other stuff (though, to be fair, there isn't that much other stuff to spend it on). Its a shame about the lack of armour/clothing too - you can't buy any anywhere, so presumably you get given some at some point, but it would be nice to have a bit more variety.

Other than those few issues, its definitely an excellent game, well worth a try. And yes, the graphics are a LOT better than the 360 version. I reckon those screenshots jim posted don't really do it justice either.

The lack of armor and weapons has always been a thing with JoWood. Very powerful items and armors have always been a status symbol in their games, so you'll only be able to have the very best gear by accomplishing a lot. Same with the improving youre skills, costing gold and skill points. The gold is to pay the trainer (presumably) and the skill points are youre own experience being spent on learning. Its a little annoying but makes sense to me. I remeber in gothic 3, the best armor was the Paladin Armor, and you could only get youre hands on it by doing a TON of stuff for the Rebels, even then is costed 150000 gold lol. Big money.