How do I modify Mesh Files

King Moloch

Trying to use Robert's Male Body Replacer, or even Breeze, but I can't get it to work. In the directions in the readme, it says to simply copy the file you want and replace the existing file. Uhhhh... no.

I can copy the file all I like, but it never lets me even VIEW the .bsa files under the Meshes. What do I need to do here. I've done this a million times with Oblivion, and I never had this kind of file to deal with. Is my edition broken or something?

No one knows?

You can use Fallout Mod Manager to unpack the NIFs from the BSA if you want to edit them. You don't need to replace the files in the BSA in order to use a body replacer mesh though. You need to download Archive Invalidation Invalidated to prevent the BSA from overriding custom meshes and then place the body meshes and textures into appropriate subdirectories of the Fallout 3 data directory. On my computer the body meshes would go into D:\Fallout 3\Data\meshes\characters\_male. It is hard for me to believe that the documentation for these replacer files does not include this sort of information.

No one knows?

You can use Fallout Mod Manager to unpack the NIFs from the BSA if you want to edit them. You don't need to replace the files in the BSA in order to use a body replacer mesh though. You need to download Archive Invalidation Invalidated to prevent the BSA from overriding custom meshes and then place the body meshes and textures into appropriate subdirectories of the Fallout 3 data directory. On my computer the body meshes would go into D:\Fallout 3\Data\meshes\characters\_male. It is hard for me to believe that the documentation for these replacer files does not include this sort of information.

I read the readme and directions pretty carefully, it says to replace the .nif with the new one, but I couldn't figure out how to do that without being able to modify the archive. I'm using FOMM and so far, I'm evidently not very bright, because I can't even seem to get it to recognize the MMM. Follwed the directions as well as I could, but since I'm new to using mods on Fallout, evidently I'm behind on the stuff "everyone knows". I'll keep screwing with it and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for your help anyway

hiyas :)

for any mod's custom content to work, all you need to do with the files are place them in the appropriate folder, and fallout3 will auto-detect them, and use them .

If your content is a Replacement for vanilla stuff, thats fine too. New or old, it should auto-detect it all.

-BUT-

it will only auto-detect your stuff if it has been allowed to do so.

The Archive Invalidation business Penny talked about is (usually) the main reason most people cant get mods to work.

Fallout3 has to be allowed to use custom content, or it will ignore it and still use the stuff in the BSA's

You dont have to unpack BSA's to use mods. You only do that if you want to work on vanilla models yourself, make your own mods, or make changes to existing vanilla.

Dont worry, its confusing only in the start... ok its confusing further on too, but eventually it smoothens out and becomes pretty straight forward. :)

Im still learning myself!

One other thing, you must also do this for mods to work:

Make sure "bInvalidateOlderFiles=0" is set to "=1" in your fallout.ini file.

(located in MyDocuments/Mygames/Fallout3/ )

if that still doesnt give you any luck, write back and we will see what we can do.