Oblivion randomly shuts off computer

poskov

I would like to state for everyone's info:

I tested Oblivion on an old Pentium 4, 1.8 Ghz with Nvidia 6600 to see what would happen and it worked on lowest settings. It was hot enough to cook food on though.

You should look at what temperature your CPU and also your graphics card is putting out. Smart Fan does this. There are other programs that do that also, such as the programs the motherboard manufacturer bundled with the motherboard. Since you have a laptop you will probably have to find 3rd party software to read the temperature.

I just use overclock to turn up the fan speed on the GPU. Managing Heat is important, there are many laptops that failed because the Heat-pipe connected to the heat-sink wasn't designed properly and it destroyed the CPU.

Oblivion is the most CPU intensive game to ever exist.

Edited by pleasenoname

I would like to state for everyone's info:

I tested Oblivion on an old Pentium 4, 1.8 Ghz with Nvidia 6600 to see what would happen and it worked on lowest settings. It was hot enough to cook food on though.

You should look at what temperature your CPU and also your graphics card is putting out. Smart Fan does this. There are other programs that do that also, such as the programs the motherboard manufacturer bundled with the motherboard. Since you have a laptop you will probably have to find 3rd party software to read the temperature.

I just use overclock to turn up the fan speed on the GPU. Managing Heat is important, there are many laptops that failed because the Heat-pipe connected to the heat-sink wasn't designed properly and it destroyed the CPU.

Oblivion is the most CPU intensive game to ever exist.

dead right, othewise manufactures would not be making a fortune out of laptop riser/coolers. Few laptops are designed for high end gaming, and modding games out to the max takes the spec requirements way above ordinary laptops.....unmodded oblivion, about 4.5 gig...fully modded oblivion...(on my system) 120 gig, skyrim 80 gig, morrowind 30 gig. manufacturers simply do not take the modded equation into designing games or systems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity we tried running Oblivion on our old Compaq C700 laptop.. Very low-end machine (Intel integrated graphics, 64MB video memory etc), and while it did run at lowest settings, it was moreless a slideshow, and the exhaust air was almost hot enough to cause skin burns. We didn't want to wait and see whether the computer would shut itself down, but I'm sure it eventually would have.

I've determined BetterMusicSystem to be one cause; When 128kbps mp3 files are used.

Using 192kbps and greater has lessened shut down.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/398060-tes-iv-oblivion-fallout-solution-music-stuttering-freezing-game.html

i remember when i had windows xp have problems like that

Edited by kastano