Custom Textures don't load ingame

poskov

I've made some textures for the daedric armor and placed them in the proper folder but ingame there is no effect.

The textures I've changed include the glow and normal maps as well.

I've tried adding Textures/Armor/daedric/m/gauntlet.dds to the ArchiveInvalidation.txt but the gauntlets are still the same.

What method of archive invalidation are you using? The recommended method is BSA Redirection, most easily implemented using Oblivion Mod Manager (found in the Utilities menu). I believe you can also implement BSA Redirection using Nexus Mod Manager but I have no idea about how it works.

Does BSA Redirection cause any problems with custom textures in the game? Like cause some textures to be skipped?

Oblivion Mod Manager BSA Redirection works for all the textures except the daedric gauntlets which remain unchanged.

Usually BSA Redirection is the only approach which doesn't. All others are known to, especially using this "ArchiveInvalidation.txt" file has never worked reliably to begin with.

However, that one's also a bother still even when you applied BSA Redirection correctly. It will now instruct your game to use your external "Textures/Armor/daedric/m/gauntlet.dds" over the internal file inside the now "empty" BSA (see the issue? There is no file inside an 'empty' BSA), and this is known to cause multiple random issues. So it's best to get rid of any left-over instances of this file in any folders you or mod install tools might have put one (yes, there can be more than 1 place).

If OBMM's BSA Redirection seemingly works flawlessly "but" for the one file you're working with, I'd rather suspect the cause to lie elsewhere. Like are you using any mods which might make the male daedric gauntlets use a different NIF than the one you got the filename from (stock replacers, overhauls, etc.)? Or are you by chance testing your 'male' retex on the 'female' gauntlets ingame? Does the new texture work fine "in NifSkope" just not in the game? (another point for the game using a different NIF than you) If your file's messed up or faulty, it will cause different issues ingame. Oblivion won't skip faulty replacement files because they're faulty, only when there is no file at all (wrong filename/folder/typo, Windows Vista/7/8 and game/Steam installed inside program files => UAC victim, faulty filedate on BSA files always newer than replacements => Steam victim, etc.).