My oblivion char just keeps walking forward

ThePearl

Hey there!

I just reinstalled Oblivion for the 3rd time on my new computer, just to (again) see that he just keeps walking... The exact same files didn't do anything yesterday, then the game ran perfectly as it should. Today after rebooting the computer (and installing OBMM, OBSE and TES CS) the character just keeps walking no matter what I press.

I removed everything related to oblivion but when I reinstalled the game again (vanilla, or patched with the shivering isles as well as the 1.2.0413 - or whatever) he keeps walking, even if I unplug the keyboard so obviously there's something messed up with the game.

Any console commands that may help? The game does not respond to w or s but every other button.

Help is very much appreciated as I just got this new dual core just to play Oblivion :wallbash:

IIRC, I think if you press the Q button, it toggles on the constant walk.

Make sure you are not hitting that key by accident. Press it again and he will stop walking (or running if you have caps lock on).

Also make sure that key on your keyboard is not sticking too.

LHammonds

Make sure you are not hitting that key by accident. Press it again and he will stop walking (or running if you have caps lock on).

LHammonds

No button is pressed. I only use the mouse, also when typing in the char name I make sure to hit qwasd just to make sure.

Any other tips you may have?

LHammonds

No button is pressed. I only use the mouse, also when typing in the char name I make sure to hit qwasd just to make sure.

if its a cordless mouse,thats your problem!

LHammonds

if its a cordless mouse,thats your problem!

Why would that be my problem? I could try to only have my 1 "normal" mouse plugged in, or my technomouse plugged in. They are compatible with being connected as they are in the same output.

Here are a couple of longshots

If you have a joystick, or other analog type controller attached to the PC 15 pin joystick input port it could be putting in a slight DC voltage. try unplugging anything attached to the joystick input port.

Or, edit the Oblivion.ini, not the one in the oblivion directory, but the one in the directory that the save games are in, usually C:\Documents and settings ... \Oblivion.ini On XP systems.

Find the entry bUse Joystick= if it is set to bUse Joystick=1, change it to bUse Joystick=0

Be sure to save the Oblivion.ini when you are finished. This will ignore any input from the joystick port It's possible there is a small signal there all of the time causing your problem even when there is nothing connected to the port.

The joystick port can also normally be disabled in the motherboard BIOS.

Do all 3 unless you actually use that port. Just do the Oblivion.ini fix if you use an analog controller on that port for some other game.

Holy crap, I have a joystick and I notice now that it's tilted slightly forward... I am going to unplug it and test the game. Hold on

EDIT: I love you, I didn't even know Oblivion had joystick support?

But really, thanks for the help! Now I can actually test my mods and play the game