World Of Warcraft Question

nzdbox

Hello everyone,

I've been wandering the internet for days now, trying to find the answer to my dilemma. Blizzard tech support isn't 100% helpful (I kinda expected that from tech support nowadays,) so I turn to you people and hope you can help me.

I'd like to purchase World of Warcraft, so that I can play with my friends here in Germany. Problem is, what version should I buy? The American version is by FAR the cheapest ($30 at amazon.com), but I'm not sure if I can play on a European server. Can you somehow (while registering) set your account to be a European one?

If not, am I really, really forced to go fork over 20 pounds for the game and get it shipped over from the U.K.?

That's actually a lot of money for me, so I was looking at trying to save a bit. Actually, if I can't get the American version, I'm guessing I'll get the German one instead (so I can practice my German :).)

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Ok, firstly, purchasing from America. Amazon.com doesn't even ship to the E.U. does it? Even if it does, you'll be charged import tax - which is pretty much 50% tax. At least that's what happens over here. I bought a game from America for about £35, and I had to pay £17 in tax on arrival to UPS. I don't know if that's just a policy in the U.K. or in Germany as well. If it is then getting the E.U. version would be far cheaper.

Also, the two versions are totally seperate... so if you want to play with your German friends, you'll need to get the E.U. version.

Ok, firstly, purchasing from America. Amazon.com doesn't even ship to the E.U. does it? Even if it does, you'll be charged import tax - which is pretty much 50% tax. At least that's what happens over here. I bought a game from America for about £35, and I had to pay £17 in tax on arrival to UPS. I don't know if that's just a policy in the U.K. or in Germany as well. If it is then getting the E.U. version would be far cheaper.

Also, the two versions are totally seperate... so if you want to play with your German friends, you'll need to get the E.U. version.

Thanks a bunch Switch (you've been more helpful than Blizzard tech support ^^,) I guess that settles the question then... *sigh* I'll have to go get a goofy European version then. I'll probably opt for the German version then.

By the way, with amazon.com we have access to some service in which if you buy items with a cumulative cost of $25 you don't pay S&H. That's how I got most of my music CD's :)

EDIT: oh, and Switch, about that amazon thing.. if you bring a price list or something to our local AFEES shops (or however you spell it, they serve overseas U.S. military,) and the prices are lower than theirs, then you can buy that product at the lower price. If they charge $40 for WoW, and I show them the $30 from amazon, and they can check it, I get the $10 off :) see why I was so hoping for the American version?

Archived