Swords, axes or maces?

AfroGamerNinja

Melee weapon of choice  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Swords, axes or maces

• Swords
    • Axes
    • Maces

What would you take as a melee weapon? Daggers aren't included since they seem to be only useful for backstabs.

If you ask me, it's either the axe or the mace. Why? Well, I seem to get more reasons to avoid the sword:

1. Swords are EVERYWHERE.
  2. In real life, anything akin to plate armor in this game would render sword slashes useless. Guess what you do while clicking the left mouse button.
  3. Axes and maces are effective against armor due to them dealing crushing damage.

Your opinions?

Sword

1. So what if it's everywhere?

a. This isn't real life. If it was I'd take maces because you need less skill to be effective. However, even against plate armor a sword will be effective. In real life, a guy wearing plate armor would be slow and clunky with limited field of view, being lightly armored with a sword can be effective against it, provided you have proper training. Basically the reason why leather armor and rapiers rendered the heavy armored soldiers obsolete: move faster to avoid getting hit by the heavy weapons, sharp stabbing blade able to pinpoint the weak spots. Heck you can beat a plate armored solder with one hit (back of knee is unprotected) if you're fast enough. Swords are only ineffective against plate armor in untrained hands which swing randomly. Also, a hit to the head could be incapacitating even with a sword. Try wearing a ringing bell on your head.

b. Swords swing faster in game

3. I love dawnbreaker (with daedric dawnbreaker mod)

Sword

1. So what if it's everywhere?

a. This isn't real life. If it was I'd take maces because you need less skill to be effective. However, even against plate armor a sword will be effective. In real life, a guy wearing plate armor would be slow and clunky with limited field of view, being lightly armored with a sword can be effective against it, provided you have proper training. Basically the reason why leather armor and rapiers rendered the heavy armored soldiers obsolete: move faster to avoid getting hit by the heavy weapons, sharp stabbing blade able to pinpoint the weak spots. Heck you can beat a plate armored solder with one hit (back of knee is unprotected) if you're fast enough. Swords are only ineffective against plate armor in untrained hands which swing randomly. Also, a hit to the head could be incapacitating even with a sword. Try wearing a ringing bell on your head.

b. Swords swing faster in game

3. I love dawnbreaker (with daedric dawnbreaker mod)

Couldn't have said it better myself ^

Also swords are faster than axes and maces and costs less stamina, swords also look great if you use a shield and armor, it reminds me of those epic medieval battles that you see in movies.

My favorite is duel wielding daedric swords, goes well with the armor !

What would you take as a melee weapon? Daggers aren't included since they seem to be only useful for backstabs.

If you ask me, it's either the axe or the mace. Why? Well, I seem to get more reasons to avoid the sword:

2. In real life, anything akin to plate armor in this game would render sword slashes useless. Guess what you do while clicking the left mouse button.
  3. Axes and maces are effective against armor due to them dealing crushing damage.

Your opinions?

it is a game and not some historical combat simulator

i know pretty well medevial swords are pretty useless against armoured opponents , it was on of the main reasons they started ro disapear from the battlefield untill they became populair afain as a cavalry weapon early 17 th century ( europe anyway)

and please do not mention, japanese swords most of what you know is myth and became just as useless as the european swords if the japanese h&ad developed metal plate armour aswell but they didn't , not in a way as the evolution of armour in europe

axes and maces became the main weapon of choice with a whole array of pole arms with the halbers and its varatuins as the ultimate canopener

but like i said this is a game not real historical

Your opinions?

it is a game and not some historical combat simulator

i know pretty well medevial swords are pretty useless against armoured opponents , it was on of the main reasons they started ro disapear from the battlefield untill they became populair afain as a cavalry weapon early 17 th century ( europe anyway)

and please do not mention, japanese swords most of what you know is myth and became just as useless as the european swords if the japanese h&ad developed metal plate armour aswell but they didn't , not in a way as the evolution of armour in europe

axes and maces became the main weapon of choice with a whole array of pole arms with the halbers and its varatuins as the ultimate canopener

but like i said this is a game not real historical

1. I know. But then again, no media is safe from reality.

2. Which is why I favor axes and maces.

3. Japanese weaponry back then was forged with iron of horrible quality, which was possible to work with by them folding the blade so the carbon on the steel can be evenly distributed. Keep in mind that Japan were isolationists (and even in the modern day, they are the most genetically homogenic civilization), so their weapons were made for wars within Japan, while Europe was pretty much living under a centuries-long arms race. Then again, if you seek a thread about katanas, I started one here. And trust me, I am NOT a big fan of them. At best, they're dueling weapons. At worst, they are nothing more than symbols of office.