Put Dragon Souls to good use

Requiemist

I was thinking, we all have played through skyrim, killed more dragons and acquired more souls than we'd ever need in a lifetime of playing skyrim. What are we supposed to do with all those little buggers floating around inside of us after all the shouts have been learned? They just sit inside of you (or wherever the Dragonborn keeps them stashed) and collect dust. Someone should take the mantle and make a mod to put them to use.

Magic is probably what you're think of right off the bat, but let's go a little deeper. Bound weapons: magically summoned for a period of time, not that powerful, so pretty much useless. How about Dragon Bound weapons? And Oblivion had summoned bound armor, why not bring that back, but make it powered by dragon souls? I was thinking of an armor that glows with the dragon form shout's overlay on top, the thing from Dragonborn DLC, you know. Though, there should be some added flare to the armor and the overlay so it actually looks bulky and powerful, perhaps dragon scales going down the chest and back and overlay on the calves and legs too. The weapon should have some overlay too, so it matches the armor, and you have have a choice between dual weild, sword and shield, two-hands, daggers, bows and crossbows.

The magic school mainly used for the armor should be Conjuration, with the actual magic spells coming from Alteration, Restoration and Destruction. Right away, I bet you though of the dragon-skin spell from Alteration, but I'm talking about doing some more spells than just that. Destruction should have dragon breaths with either frost of fire and when you cast the spell, a large visage of a dragon head like the one from the should apears to breath frost/fire (and a second ooption for a beam that is in a continual cast maybe). A nice AoE spell would be a ghost-like dragon appears and beating its wings so that frost or fire walls wash over an area. Dragon minion summoning is a possibility, but no actual "solid" dragons, just magical visages of them. Summoning ancient souls of Nords from the past to fight for you would be a nice touch, or even dragon-priests (Maybe not, they don't really seem logical). And for the ultimate spell, I know it's cliche, Alduin's apocalypse spell would be nice to use. Or maybe you can use Sovngarde's sky box to make an ultimate spell, like a beam from the heavens.

The spell costs should be balanced with the actual spells of course, for example, 1 dragon soul for bound armor or weapons, 2 for summoning dragon minions and Nords, 3 for the really powerful AoEs and dragon breath/beam spells, and 4 souls for the ultimate spells. I can't really think of a lot of spells that you can use, but I'm sure other people have ideas. Feel free to use this page for reference if you decide to make a mod like this.

I like this. I definitely like the spectral dragon idea.

I could also see having a Power that allows you to "release" the dragon's soul from your body in a burst of power that sends enemies on all sides flying, as well as inflicting some sort of magical damage...

Or maybe a spell that, when your health reaches a critical low point, consumes the dragon's soul in return for a short-lived boost to your speed, damage output, and damage resistance. Sort of a limit break a la Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts. But obviously, we'd want to balance that kind of ability...some sort of penalty afterwards, maybe causing you to fall to one knee while your body recuperates from what just happened.

I like this. I definitely like the spectral dragon idea.

I could also see having a Power that allows you to "release" the dragon's soul from your body in a burst of power that sends enemies on all sides flying, as well as inflicting some sort of magical damage...

Or maybe a spell that, when your health reaches a critical low point, consumes the dragon's soul in return for a short-lived boost to your speed, damage output, and damage resistance. Sort of a limit break a la Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts. But obviously, we'd want to balance that kind of ability...some sort of penalty afterwards, maybe causing you to fall to one knee while your body recuperates from what just happened.

Sounds awesome

There are some mods that already put Dragon Souls to good use (and bound weapons aren't useless, depending on the mods you use. SkyRe and Requiem for example balances them, allowing them to have the same damage as a legendary daedric weapons once you hit 100 conjuration and have the proper perks),

Deadly Dragons allows you to convert accumulated souls into perk points. 5 souls per point, but can be adjusted. Dragon Soul Relinquishment also does this, but I don't use that mod.

Death Souls allows you to use a Dragon Soul to "resurrect" once your health gets depleted.