Naked Megaton Settlers?

Madae

Just walked into Megaton and found a few settlers walking around naked. I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this. This is the first time I've seen this and I don't have any mods that change the world - mostly just clothes for my character and some other misc stuff, so I'm not sure if a mod did this or if the game just up and decided that they'd be better off with no clothes.

Can you list all the mods that you have?

Well, that's the thing. The only things I've installed recently are Project Beauty, Enhanced Weather, Body Jewelry, and Kikai Equipment. Everything else I have had installed for pretty much the entire game from the very beginning all the way to level 24 with no problems. I've explored almost everything on the world map except Broken Steel and Point Lookout, and I've done lots of quests too (main quest excluded) with something like 500 saves - really a long time of playing this character.

Everything changed though after I visited Vault 106 today (I think that's what it was) and then went back to Megaton to drop some loot off at my house. I was greeted by someone wanting to give me stuff for being good and that's when I noticed half the town walking around naked (just some of the settlers, all the named people were fully clothed). I can load the game right before I left Megaton to go explore the nearby area and everyone will still be clothed.

I started a new game and went directly to Megaton and everyone was clothed, so I really don't think there is a conflict with my mods - 90% of it is just clothing and hair mods for my character that I had installed well before the problem. The only big game changing things are the expansions up until PointLook (no mothership zeta), enhanced weather, and project beauty. Although, I did just recently upgrade the game from 1.4 to 1.7 and had to reinstall the unofficial patch since I just picked up Brokensteel/Pointlook a few days ago.

The "fault" is probably one of the clothing/armor mods, where some default clothing/armor was replaced by ... err ... in-the-buff-ness. It wouldn't show up as a conflict, since many clothing/armor mods are "replacers" and simply overwrite default clothing/armors with new default textures/meshes.

If you wish to bother with it, merely look in the mod archives and see what was copied to where.

The "fault" is probably one of the clothing/armor mods, where some default clothing/armor was replaced by ... err ... in-the-buff-ness. It wouldn't show up as a conflict, since many clothing/armor mods are "replacers" and simply overwrite default clothing/armors with new default textures/meshes.

If you wish to bother with it, merely look in the mod archives and see what was copied to where.

I read in another thread that .esm's should be at the top of the load order before all .esp's. I had 3 esm files loading at random spots (hairpack, Project Beauty and Enhanced Weather) and moving all the .esm's at the top and all the .esp's at the bottom seems to have actually fixed this. I'll have to do some more testing, but I loaded the game in Megaton where they were clothed (when exiting, waiting a few and then going back in would cause them to be naked) and they were still clothed.

Hopefully the issue is working correctly now. Maybe this will also fix a crash I was having with the character creation. I would click some of the custom eyes from the hairpack and the game would CTD. Maybe this fixed that to. :)

I read in another thread that .esm's should be at the top of the load order before all .esp's. I had 3 esm files loading at random spots (hairpack, Project Beauty and Enhanced Weather) and moving all the .esm's at the top and all the .esp's at the bottom seems to have actually fixed this. I'll have to do some more testing, but I loaded the game in Megaton where they were clothed (when exiting, waiting a few and then going back in would cause them to be naked) and they were still clothed.

Hopefully the issue is working correctly now. Maybe this will also fix a crash I was having with the character creation. I would click some of the custom eyes from the hairpack and the game would CTD. Maybe this fixed that to. :)

Maybe. :) ... but I would recommend replacing HairPack with LingsFinerThings - Coiffure.esm. Compatible with the HairPack FormIDs, but with tons more options. HairPack is getting a bit dated, there have been lots of cosmetic mod additions and improvements since its release, and Lings has them all.

Note that before disabling and/or deleting HairPack.esm, you'll need to get FO3Edit. (and obviously LFT-C.) Start the utility and use the tree view to find any mods that list HairPack.esm as a master. You can expand the tree and select the File Header listing. In the right side view, right click on the MAST file listing and change it to LingsFinerThings - Coiffure.esm ... Voila, you are updated to the latest and greatest hair/cosmetics mod there is currently.

Maybe. :) ... but I would recommend replacing HairPack with LingsFinerThings - Coiffure.esm. Compatible with the HairPack FormIDs, but with tons more options. HairPack is getting a bit dated, there have been lots of cosmetic mod additions and improvements since its release, and Lings has them all.

Note that before disabling and/or deleting HairPack.esm, you'll need to get FO3Edit. (and obviously LFT-C.) Start the utility and use the tree view to find any mods that list HairPack.esm as a master. You can expand the tree and select the File Header listing. In the right side view, right click on the MAST file listing and change it to LingsFinerThings - Coiffure.esm ... Voila, you are updated to the latest and greatest hair/cosmetics mod there is currently.

Wow, I will definitely do that. :) I just looked at the mod list and it literally has 90% of the mods I have installed. Should I go through and uninstall each of those mods and the files they have or should I just install Lings on top of it? And what about all the outfits my character already has? Will uninstalling the mods and installing Ling's make my character still have those items? This seems like one of those things I should be wary about and might cause problems. Though I was thinking of starting a new game anyway with a slower leveling mod.

Oh, and is the optional file here: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=8832 (Lings Coiffure and Couture v3-3) the one you were talking about? Or is that a different mod altogether?

Wow, I will definitely do that. :) I just looked at the mod list and it literally has 90% of the mods I have installed. Should I go through and uninstall each of those mods and the files they have or should I just install Lings on top of it? And what about all the outfits my character already has? Will uninstalling the mods and installing Ling's make my character still have those items? This seems like one of those things I should be wary about and might cause problems. Though I was thinking of starting a new game anyway with a slower leveling mod.

Oh, and is the optional file here: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=8832 (Lings Coiffure and Couture v3-3) the one you were talking about? Or is that a different mod altogether?

Included in the download for LFT is a text file that tells you what can be removed from your textures and meshes folders. Here's how to make sure with 100% safety:

1. Start FOMM and select the first Lings clothing BSA. Use FOMM's functionality to open the archive (but don't extract it!). Go to your meshes folder and begin stepping through, checking the paths listed in the BSA with the paths in your textures or meshes folders.

2. Using WinRar (the procedure will be a bit different if you use a different archive tool), select the file(s)/folder(s) that are duplicated by right-clicking them.

a. Select New Archive.

b, Select Best under Compression.

c. Check the boxes for validating the archive, deleting the files after archiving and creating a recovery record.

d. Archive.

3. Repeat the process for textures.

4. Repeat the process for the second BSA.

Viola! All your clothing/armor meshes/textures that are related to Ling's resources are temporarily archived.

5. Start FO3Edit.

a. Step through the clothing mods that you archived above, right-click the filename and select Add Master from the context menu.

b. Enter LingsFinerThings.esm by selecting (checking) the file in the pop-up list.

c. Ctrl-S to save the changes.

There you go, a 100% safe way to validate your mods against what is in Ling's.

If by chance some meshes/textures come up missing in game, find the archive for that instance and unextract it. After some time (in-game), if you have no mesh/texture issues, you can go into your meshes/textures folders and delete the archives.

Oh, the MOST important step:

6. Play Fallout3 and enjoy Ling's great work!

Also, if you have previous mods like HairPack, launch FO3Edit. Go through the mods, click on the + in the tree view and expand the File Header section. Look for any that rely on HairPack.esm (in the left panel View tab). If you find one, change HairPack.esm by right-clicking on it and entering LingsFinerThings - Coiffure.esm. The FormIDs are identical to HairPack.esm's. Obviously, this means you installed LC&C first (tip: make sure LingsFinerThings - Coiffure.esm is loaded before HairPack.esm). Ctl-S to save. Exit FO3Edit, start FOMM, deselect and then delete Hairpack.esm. You can safely delete any texture/meshes HairPack installed as well, as they are in the LingsFinerThings - Coiffure .bsa file already (plus the eye texture/meshes that you extracted while installing it).

As far as NPCs are concerned, see my post in LingsPrettyThings on customizing NPCs.

Hope this helps.

Included in the download for LFT is a text file that tells you what can be removed from your textures and meshes folders. Here's how to make sure with 100% safety:

1. Start FOMM and select the first Lings clothing BSA. Use FOMM's functionality to open the archive (but don't extract it!). Go to your meshes folder and begin stepping through, checking the paths listed in the BSA with the paths in your textures or meshes folders.

2. Using WinRar (the procedure will be a bit different if you use a different archive tool), select the file(s)/folder(s) that are duplicated by right-clicking them.

a. Select New Archive.

b, Select Best under Compression.

c. Check the boxes for validating the archive, deleting the files after archiving and creating a recovery record.

d. Archive.

3. Repeat the process for textures.

4. Repeat the process for the second BSA.

Viola! All your clothing/armor meshes/textures that are related to Ling's resources are temporarily archived.

5. Start FO3Edit.

a. Step through the clothing mods that you archived above, right-click the filename and select Add Master from the context menu.

b. Enter LingsFinerThings.esm by selecting (checking) the file in the pop-up list.

c. Ctrl-S to save the changes.

There you go, a 100% safe way to validate your mods against what is in Ling's.

If by chance some meshes/textures come up missing in game, find the archive for that instance and unextract it. After some time (in-game), if you have no mesh/texture issues, you can go into your meshes/textures folders and delete the archives.

Oh, the MOST important step:

6. Play Fallout3 and enjoy Ling's great work!

Also, if you have previous mods like HairPack, launch FO3Edit. Go through the mods, click on the + in the tree view and expand the File Header section. Look for any that rely on HairPack.esm (in the left panel View tab). If you find one, change HairPack.esm by right-clicking on it and entering LingsFinerThings - Coiffure.esm. The FormIDs are identical to HairPack.esm's. Obviously, this means you installed LC&C first (tip: make sure LingsFinerThings - Coiffure.esm is loaded before HairPack.esm). Ctl-S to save. Exit FO3Edit, start FOMM, deselect and then delete Hairpack.esm. You can safely delete any texture/meshes HairPack installed as well, as they are in the LingsFinerThings - Coiffure .bsa file already (plus the eye texture/meshes that you extracted while installing it).

As far as NPCs are concerned, see my post in LingsPrettyThings on customizing NPCs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help. :) I just went ahead and deleted the few mods I had and installed this the normal way. I tried looking at that FO3Edit thing and it seemed really complicated, and I didn't want to risk screwing anything up (I don't have access to my game box at the moment to reinstall if I borked it all).

Anyway, everything is working beautifully. Crashes I had been having seem to have been fixed, so there must have been something there in the older mods that caused some problems. It's nice that pretty much everything I had was in one, nice and neat updated package. :)

One thing that might make FO3Edit a bit less intimidating is that it makes backups of anything you change with it.

for example here's one such backup I have (in my "Data" folder) "Maggie Companion.esp.backup.2009_10_01_15_44_01"

now to use it as an esp I just rename it so it's "Maggie Companion.esp"

though I would need to do something with the Maggie Companion file I already had first.