Fallout 3 - Movies on objects in the Game

Cakester

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8c8o0mXeQ8

After a week or so I have now achieved my goal of movies on objects inside the game.

I believe mpeg 4 and avi files can be played and even if they are compressed.

To find the object I want to change textures for, I just check the stride + vertice count + (optionally) primitive count.

The textures are generated by a directshow compositor and blah blah blah..

the important thing is that i think this is cool :)

Very impressive. I looked for a way to do this way back when - during my work on the defunct Desert Dishes mod. I thought, "If I can't figure it out, it can't be done!" Of course, I was wrong. That makes two things I've been wrong about: this and the pyramids.

Seriously, how'd they build those damn pyramids?!

looks lagie to me?.

but once again, your some kid c :)

It is laggy because I can't figure out how to create a texture for the game's device rather than copying it over from the compositor's. The devices i speak of are both d3d9. Once I figure out how to create the texture directly into the game's device the access to them should be instantaneous which will improve performance by very much.

Keep at it :thumbsup: . If you can get this kind of thing working well it would be very cool. I could see many uses for such a thing, working TVs, drive in theaters, fancy terminals, security monitors, etc. I hope you get it going well.

Drive in theater is a must...

new video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mfuC-96biA

i am now using a gdi bitmap function to stretch a dib's bits onto a hdc of a surface. it is pretty fast and the game does not lag at all.

anyway the surface that is modified using the stretch is an offscreen plain in system memory . I use that offscreen plain to update another surface which is the surface of a texture.

With that update happening, all i need to do is use settexture everytime i detect an object matching the vert count and stride. (stride is 72 for static objects)