How to move Oblivion without reinstalling

Often Oblivion is installed in Program Files, but when you begin to mod it and use the CSE, you get in trouble with the Windows' security, UAC, LUA etc....

Running as admin is not enough because on Windows 7 and above the program files folder is protected. You can grant the "everyone" permission to Bethesda Softwork folder but the best and simple thing is moving Oblivion out of Program Files folder.

- Oblivion is installed on C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion

- Move it in C:\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion
- Open Windows registry and change the "Installed path" value in the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion with the new path

- Change the uninstall info path ("InstallLocation" value) in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{23D683DD-93C6-48E6-B84E-78B57778F126} to uninstall the Construction Set regularly in the future.

If you use the Wrye Bash, change also the value "Oblivion Path" in the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wrye Bash.

If you use the OBMM, change the uninstall info path ("InstallLocation" value) in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Oblivion mod manager_is1 to uninstall OBMM regularly in the future.

NOTE: If you have a 32bit Windows you haven't the Wow6432Node.

Done.

• 7 years later...

This worked for me. Just had to also change some install paths for Mod Organizer 2 and the executables that I have installed for MO2. Now I can use Construction Set Extender.

I have my Steam folder and Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas outside of Program Files, but last year when I was getting my disc versions of Morrowind and Oblivion reinstalled and modded up, I put Bethesda Softworks folder in Program Files. Not sure why I did that??

Next, will have to see about moving the Morrowind folder out of Program Files.