Modding Etiquette Question: Requirement Permission

adembroski

I don't want to get into too much detail here, but I'm just wondering how much effort I should put into contacting someone to retrieve permission for something... or if it's necessary at all.

I wrote a mod to handle several things that I'd been using separate mods for. I made it for myself with no intention originally of releasing it, but it turned out better than i expected so I figure it's worth throwing up there. Thing is, it requires the use of another mod that's already on the Nexus.

Is it necessary, etiquette-wise, for me to get permission from the author of the required mod, or is that only necessary if I'm duplicating it? There is no duplication involved here... my mod does not include the original mod, it merely requires it. I ask because I'm having trouble getting a response, and I don't want to make anybody angry or use someone's work inappropriately. I certainly would include credit and a link in both the ReadMe and the mod description.

Going to keep it short and simple:

- If your mod contains elements from other mods - you require permission.

- If your mod contain only your work, but is linked to other mods - it does not require permission.

Basically, the whole reasoning behind permission is so that you won't take credit for what others have done. So, if your mod require another mod, but have nothing from those mods in itself, you are in the safe zone.