Now Taking Weapon Orders

arkentera666

What I was thinking about the luger is that maybe make a specific quest where you obtain it. Something that when you get the luger you think, I deserve this weapon.

Also there is a version of the RPG-7 called the RPG-2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-2

would that work? But yeah I understand now what is meant by everyone would have one. I have not played the game yet, but is rocket launcher ammo easy to find?

It's rare-ish but not hard to get at all. It's also bigger and shouldn't be compatible with a RPG-type weapon. (although anything can be set to take any ammo type.) You could raise the damage to unarmored targets while lowering the damage to armored. That way the big bulky rocket launcher is still the more common military issue "take out a hard target" weapon. Also have a new workshop plan that takes maybe ten hand grenades, one Rocket, and a few other scrap parts, and makes five RPG rockets.

And yes, I know RPGs are mostly used with armor piercing warheads to attack armored targets, but the above logic almost goes all the way to making an RPG fit into the gameworld with it's bigger rocket launcher brother. Rocket propelled grenade vs Rocket (with a huge hunk of explosive).

I really, really don't think the time period a gun was made should really matter. Let's take a look at some choice weapons from the original games, shall we?

H&K CAWS: Designed in the 1980s, was canceled.

Pancor Jackhammer: Designed 1987, never mass produced.

XL70E3: 1976, never mass produced. (Well, not the exact variant anyway)

H&K G11: '70s - '80s, never mass produced.

H&K (?) P90: The FN P90, 1990. Maybe the Fallout one is a different variant, or something. I doubt it.

And those are just some of the post 1950s weapons in Fallout 2. I'm not even going into all of the ones in Tactics.

Fallout 2 is also the game where the people doing the weapon work copied over the .223 pistol without even changing the 'one of a kind' flavor text and made it a gun you can find everywhere. Do you really want to say that in spite of that, they were being completely attentive when they worked in those modernish guns? Even the lead designers have come out and stated it was a mistake. (if I remember correctly, at the behest of producers who handed down orders, like the starting level in the temple because some guy had a thing for tutorial starts.)

Also of interest to this thread, despite being non-canon, Fallout Tactics had a rocket launcher identical to the RPG-7. Without the rocket inserted (their way of displaying it in inventory) it actually looks like it fits.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A semi-automatic rifle, the model could be based on the Hunting Rifle for convenience but it would have course be semi-auto and fire more powerful rounds.

I'm thinking either the M1 Garand or chinese SKS (Type 56). They both have lore-accurate reasons to be in the game - the Garand was manufactured in great numbers and used until 1966, which would provide post-nuclear America with quite a few in old museums, in the hands (or former homes) of personal collectors, and at wrecked gun shops. The Type 56 is a little more far-fetched, but at least I think it's reasonable; it was issued to chinese spies when most of the more modern weapons were sent to the front lines, which would make them at least as common as the chinese assault rifle.

The US Navy variant of the M1 Garand has an 8-round en bloc 7.62x51mm NATO round magazine. The animation wouldn't have to change from the Hunting Rifle's, and the ammo exists in CALIBR. Same goes for the Type 56 (10-round 7.62x39mm stripper clip).

Tostitos, although I mostly agree with you, Fallout is also a game of laser weapons and all that silliness. I personally prefer the cobbled retro aspect of pipe rifles and the rest of it in the game, but even the orginal Fallout had a Gatling Laser. I think the lore, design, or whatever permits all forms of weaponry.

Carry on arguing for your personal taste, but please stop with this "doesn't belong in Fallout" line of argument.

Besides, I think OP wants to play with modeling, texturing, and the GECK. I think the intent is to see what he and his tools can do and what the engine is capable of handling.

I really, really don't think the time period a gun was made should really matter. Let's take a look at some choice weapons from the original games, shall we?

H&K CAWS: Designed in the 1980s, was canceled.

Pancor Jackhammer: Designed 1987, never mass produced.

XL70E3: 1976, never mass produced. (Well, not the exact variant anyway)

H&K G11: '70s - '80s, never mass produced.

H&K (?) P90: The FN P90, 1990. Maybe the Fallout one is a different variant, or something. I doubt it.

And those are just some of the post 1950s weapons in Fallout 2. I'm not even going into all of the ones in Tactics.

Yeah, and I complained about those to the devs back in '99 when the game was released.

EVERYONE complained to the Devs about tactics when it was released because it pretty much lacked the Retro-Future look.

Tostitos, although I mostly agree with you, Fallout is also a game of laser weapons and all that silliness. I personally prefer the cobbled retro aspect of pipe rifles and the rest of it in the game, but even the orginal Fallout had a Gatling Laser. I think the lore, design, or whatever permits all forms of weaponry.

Carry on arguing for your personal taste, but please stop with this "doesn't belong in Fallout" line of argument.

Besides, I think OP wants to play with modeling, texturing, and the GECK. I think the intent is to see what he and his tools can do and what the engine is capable of handling.

Even the futuristic weapons are extremely retro. Look at the ones from the first game. They're frackin' RAY GUNS. Clean, refined lines like on a modern rifle and PLASTIC do not belong on Fallout weapons! They either have to be big blocks of metal or have lots of wood on them. ;)

What I was thinking about the luger is that maybe make a specific quest where you obtain it. Something that when you get the luger you think, I deserve this weapon.

Also there is a version of the RPG-7 called the RPG-2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-2

would that work? But yeah I understand now what is meant by everyone would have one. I have not played the game yet, but is rocket launcher ammo easy to find?

It's rare-ish but not hard to get at all. It's also bigger and shouldn't be compatible with a RPG-type weapon. (although anything can be set to take any ammo type.) You could raise the damage to unarmored targets while lowering the damage to armored. That way the big bulky rocket launcher is still the more common military issue "take out a hard target" weapon. Also have a new workshop plan that takes maybe ten hand grenades, one Rocket, and a few other scrap parts, and makes five RPG rockets.

And yes, I know RPGs are mostly used with armor piercing warheads to attack armored targets, but the above logic almost goes all the way to making an RPG fit into the gameworld with it's bigger rocket launcher brother. Rocket propelled grenade vs Rocket (with a huge hunk of explosive).

I like that custom idea.

^^ YES. No more needs to be said.

Best shotgun ever, hands down. I've made requests, but unfortunately they haven't been answered. It doesn't need the animation, it just needs the model and texture. For all of the pump action shotguns I've found, I've changed them to use the Lincoln's Repeater attack animation. It looks close enough to pumping the gun.

^^ YES. No more needs to be said.

Best shotgun ever, hands down. I've made requests, but unfortunately they haven't been answered. It doesn't need the animation, it just needs the model and texture. For all of the pump action shotguns I've found, I've changed them to use the Lincoln's Repeater attack animation. It looks close enough to pumping the gun.

In that case, why not a Winchester Model 1887/1901? It would use exactly the same animation.

Though a crows foot could also we awesome...