Interior and exterior in single worldspace

Tony the Wookie

Ok, so here is what I was wanting to try. I have my town, and when you activate the gate, you will enter another worldspace (no different than Megaton). But I want to have all of the buildings inside completly open to the town worldspace.

So I would have the houses, both interior and exterior all in the same worldspace, with no loading or anything when you walk from house to house. On the side of makeing the mesh for it, I wouldn't have any problems putting together a mesh that would work as both the exterior and interior. I could even put in actual working windows and such.

The thing I was worried about is how much would that slow down peoples computers... I am planning on haveing 10 or so buildings and about 20 NPCs in the worldspace

Is their a way to have certain stuff load only when you get close to it? such as the items inside of the blacksmith wouldn't need to be loaded when you are on the complete oposite side of the town or whatever

And would the lighting from the outside worldspace come inside the buildings?

I'm thinking it wouldn't really work, but I figured I would see what some other people thought before I threw the idea out.

But if it did work, it would be pretty awesome to not have the worldspace obstructed by loading times and such

People will probably experience loading times inside of it :).. Only PC's with the max that's on the market could run it easily. It also depends on the amount of clutter you want to add... but generally things could work. Maybe you could just do half of it? F3 its great difference with Oblivion is that you can have open markets without any problems :).

About the 20 NPCs I couldn't tell. Oblivion had a max of 15 NPCs at time (That doesn't include creatures), after it the AI wouldn't work. I'm not sure about fallout3, but I've never seen 20 NPCs in the game at the same time and place...

You could try out and see the effect when just creating one 'open' house and duplicating that one about 10 times, plus duplicating the same NPc about 20 times that has a standard walk/wander package.

I think that the ambient light level would be the same either inside or outside of your structures.

An NPC running many AI packages requires more processing than a quiet NPC. A vendor that stands in one spot smoking and scratching 24/7 and only responds when you greet him won't take nearly as much time to process as a group of townies in a 3 way conversation would. The more complex and interwoven your NPC AI schedules are then the more trouble that you can expect.

The Pitt often seemed to have more than 20 NPCs active at times, especially in the ending rampages, and there are complex, multi-level structures in the town. I think that your concept should be workable, especially considering that you are not placed in the Wasteland worldspace. Still, your mod's performance will also be impacted for users not only by the capability of their equipment but also by the other mods that they have loaded and enabled. It's impossible to predict the result of different combinations of mods. Searching for ways to optimize your mod gives you some measure of control over performance.

Quest scripts that constantly monitor the player's position seem to require more processing than object scripts that trigger NPC behavior. A trigger can be used repeatedly while still be pretty dormant when the player is not involved directly with it.

I think the main issue would be the lighting from inside the buildings. On a slower processor (like mine), it makes a lot more sense to have separate interiors if you have a lot of lighting effects in each building. The reason The Pitt works well is because most of those interiors are little more than small studios with very little if any lighting attached. If you do a lot of lighting in the buildings, you'd end up with something that runs at about the same speed as parts of Mothership Zeta.

One thing you could do to speed things up is to have the lights in a certain area all parent enabled to a particular marker. Then when the player is within a certain distance of that area, you could simply enable the marker and disable it when they go further away.

NPC's don't require that much calculation and their RAM usage is minimal (it is limited by default to 10 MB per NPC, so 20 NPC's can use a maximum of 200 MB Ram (and i have never seen a NPC that actually uses all 10 MB, the closest i think is dogmeat who uses about 8.5 MB cause he uses like 10 ai packages)

I don't think a medium ranged PC would have problems with that at all, however i do not quite understand what the point of this is, interior and exterior cells are seperated for a reason (that being usage of less ressources and way less work), if you put them all in the same space, you have to put way more portals and room markers etc.

and that is where i assume you will get into trouble, cause you can't place all markers in every type of cell, for instance I'm not certain you can put a room marker in an exterior cell.

so why not do it like you're supposed to ?

its not like the 1-2 second(s) it takes to load an interior is that much of a drag

As far as I know the lighting and npc AI would be the only problems (All the ai might cause a slow down) it probably would not lag too badly if you use room bounds so that clutter inside buildings that you are not looking into will not be rendered.

I would give it a try.

NPC's don't require that much calculation and their RAM usage is minimal (it is limited by default to 10 MB per NPC, so 20 NPC's can use a maximum of 200 MB Ram (and i have never seen a NPC that actually uses all 10 MB, the closest i think is dogmeat who uses about 8.5 MB cause he uses like 10 ai packages)

I don't know how to watch NPCs use MB. How do you do that? I would like to check some of mine out.

so why not do it like you're supposed to ?

Because he is a rebel who would rather fail while doing what he wants to do rather than succeed by doing what he is told. :yes: