Castlevania

Megatarius

The first Castlevania I ever played was Dracula X on Super NES. I thought it was awesome, and only later did I learn that most people hate it. I still like it, but I see where people are coming from.

My favorite is Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse for NES. It's an unsung hero of the series. Classic style, multiple paths, multiple characters with different abilities. Very awesome graphics and sound for its time and they were all used very well.

The secondary characters are all awesome, including the first appearance of fan favorite Alucard, though he doesn't look as cool. You've got a guy who can climb on the ceiling (and who was based on several real historical people, though they didn't climb the walls), a mage with powerful spells that make short work of enemies and bosses, and even the ability to turn into a bat and fly over tough spots. Very well thought out, very challenging, and very cool.

Second favorite: Dawn of Sorrow for Nintendo DS. Good story, good action, good exploration, and an awesome second quest where you can play as all the side characters. It bears a lot in common with Castlevania 3 in fact. Great game.

Third favorite would be Order of Ecclesia, also for DS. I love the different levels in the wilderness outside the Castle. In fact, the Castle is not even part of the main game, it's a second quest that is just as big, or almost. Cool main character, and awesome non-anime looking art style. The game is more fun when you don't fast travel to any location on the map, you just play through every level between where you are and where you're going. Good game.

My fourth favorite would be Symphony of the Night, even though I think it's way too easy and it gets really dull after a while. Basically, I like it for the music and the cool character art, not really for the gameplay. I'm not really sold on the graphics either. But it is a cool game for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoyed Dracula X, actually. Truthfully, Symphony of the Night is my favourite -- I loved the twist and the music, but Simon's Quest (despite being really hard to figure out without a guide) was my first, and so it also has a special place in my heart. In general I find these games really awesome!

Lease favourite is Castlevania 64, because it didn't even feel like castlevania to me.

You make me want to pick up some of these other castlevania games for the DS! It's been awhile (though I did play through SotN recently to show my boyfriend.)

• 1 month later...
I haven't played any exept the re-make for the mobile phone and once Aria of sorrow. But i did watch AVGN's (you know him right? :P) reviviews of the GBA castelvanias. They look totaly awesome! I'd kill for having a GBA and that game!

• 4 weeks later...

Castlevania 64 Legacy of Darkness, hands down!

Ok seriously, you know I'm kidding right? I still find Symphony the most replayable, probably because I can see it on a TV screen instead of the little GBA/DS ones. Still reminiscent of the time I thought I had beaten the game. :rolleyes:

Besides that, I really liked Portrait of Ruin, it had the most extra games from any other one plus the return of Symphony's Alucard. Though I was disappointed to find out that even though you play two alternating characters, the two-player mode was a simple dungeon maker thing. :verymad:

Also upset me seeing an "extra" added in Ecclesia if you owned that Wii abomination that dared to carry the name of Castlevania. :sick:

I really liked Castlevania 2 for the nes. It had a unique RPG-like feel to it and the flame whip was just awesome. But, I haven't really played any of the other games after Castlevania 3 though, which btw, I liked too.

• 3 weeks later...
Hmm... never played the Nintendo version. But I really enjoyed Castlevania Aria of Sorrow and Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance for the GBA. They have awesome soundtracks too, my favourite up to date would be Bloody Tears.

Having played every single Castlevania game so far, I'd have to say my favorite is Symphony of the Night. It's style of gameplay was remarkable at the time, and I have very fond memories of it.

My other favorites would be Rondo of Blood, Aria & Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia, and the recent Adventure ReBirth.