Mods- First time player

MundoBot

Hello-

I've played Skyrim once or twice before, when it came out, at a friend's house. I never got more than an hour or so into the game.

I just purchased the legendary edition, and I'm not sure if I should use some basic mods for my first playthrough. I enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion a lot, and I'm super excited for Skyrim.

I have a decently powerful gaming computer, but I don't want to have Skyrim crash a lot.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and I'm thinking about:

The unofficial mods

Skyui

SkyRE, maybe

Thanks!

Mundo

...and so it begins... another unsuspecting Skyrim player to get sucked down the hole of addictive Skyrim modding, never to be seen again... :cool:

Here are some general rules about modding:

1. Don't remove mods once you start a playthrough. It's generally ok to add mods if you're careful and you know what you're doing.

2. Research each mod carefully to be sure it's not going to conflict with other mods. Apply patches as necessary for mod compatibility.

3. Learn the difference between mod order and plugin order. Use BOSS to sort your plugin order.

4. Use Mod Organizer to add/manage your mods if possible, even though it has a steeper learning curve than NMM.

5. If you add mods that create new items in the game, use Wrye Bash to create a "Bashed Patch" that will prevent conflicts between the items.

6. Clean your mods using TES5Edit where needed.

7. Have fun. :)

You mentioned SkyRe... Be aware that SkyRe is considered an "overhaul" mod which means it make many sweeping changes to Skyrim. Hence it will be less compatible with other mods since other mods can try to change the same things in the game and therefore conflict with SkyRe. But if SkyRe's changes look good to you then by all means use it. It's got a great number of devoted followers who would never play without it.

Here's a general suggestion: Use the advanced search features in http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/ to sort by the most endorsed mods. Those are probably the ones to start considering first.

Good luck!

Good start.

Tell me, are you into hardcore immersion type mods? There are quite a few personally that I think are essential to anyone looking for immersion.

Also if you have a good rig I would look into http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/607/? Thats a great HD texture replacer. There are many others, but if youre going to get carried away by texture mods and youre that type of player, then I would highly recommend getting to grips with Mod Organizer, for the simple fact that you never have to overwrite textures.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1334/? <------Mod Organizer

The immersion mods

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11163/? <-----Frostfall

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26228/? <-----Realistic Needs & Diseases

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/27563 <-----Wet & Cold

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/17802/? <-----Climates Of Tamriel (Weather)

These few are great for a start you can build your mod list around them, once you think you like those definately visit http://www.skyrimgems.com/ to get others, 90% of those mods are absolutely brilliant and mods that make it there are generally considered the best of the best.

I wish I was you right now, just starting out....the unknown don't rush through skyrim, when its over its kinda over. You will wish you were here where you are now.

Edited by velve666

Wow! Well, I was thinking Frostfall, Climates, etc would be for my next playthrough, because it seems like I would have to have a wiki or something up on my other monitor or something so I knew what was going on-

I am installing now, I think I'll be just using those mods, unless vanilla would be better for my first time- your thoughts?

When you start playing frostfall will guide you through what its doing. And climates of tamriel is as simple as installing nothing to learn about it, and it compliments frostall so well.

Just remember you have to get Skyrim script extender. since you have skyui I'm assuming youve already got it up and running?

Anyways, having frostfall and all the above mentioned mods are things I would say should/could have been implemeted in Skyrim from the start anyway so give them a go on this playthrough.

Any other mods youre not quite familiar with that change the gameplay dramatically I would only use on your next playthough, also Realistic needs and diseases is also great! I cant stand looking at food in skyrim and not having a use for it, as well as sleeping. RND just implement human survival in a seamless way, nothing completely game changing either. Just natural.

Be sure to read the descriptions thoroughly of every single mod you ever download from now until forever, will save you a lot of headaches in the future.

@ MundoBot

I just finished my first play through in which I played with mods on and off adding mods as I found them and as I wanted to test.

Today I am starting a new game and the mods I am installing for my second run through are as follows

Unofficial Skyrim Patch - Fixes numerous bugs in vanilla Skyrim.
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch - Fixes numerous bugs in the official Dawnguard DLC.
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch - Fixes numerous bugs in the official Hearthfire DLC.
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch - Fixes numerous bugs in the official Dragonborn DLC.
The goal of the Unofficial Skyrim Patchs (aka USKP) is to eventually fix every bug with Skyrim not officially resolved by the developers to the limits of the Creation Kit and community-developed tools, in one easy-to-install package.
Sky UI
SkyUI is a mod that aims to improve Skyrim's User Interface by making it easier to use with mouse and keyboard, less wasteful of available screen space, and nicer to look at.
I can't imagine playing without it
Includes a Mod Configuration Menu (MCM) which is needed by many other mods to function
Better MessageBox Controls
This adds keyboard support to message boxes, just reduces the wrong clicks making navigating menu's faster
Achieve That
Adds over 100 unique achievements, from how many Books you've read or how many bunny's you've killed, all the way to how many shouts you've learned or people you've killed
You earn glory points to contribute to various character improvements.
It is a fun little app to give you more to try and accomplish, you don't HAVE to spend glory points if you want leveling to remain the same as vanilla, but options are great! especially +20 carry capacity early in game.
Lockpick Pro (Cheat)
This isn't really an essental mod, I just hate lock picking, and this mod makes it easy/fool proof, I still have to pick the locks, but it guides you how to pick each lock with a slide bar showing where your mouse needs to be
Soulfire
Adds a lesser power which merges your magicka pool with the power reserves of any equipped weapons. You will expend magicka to charge them, and using them will cost you magicka rather than draining power from the weapon or staff. You can toggle the ability off (or wait an hour), after which enchanted items will again draw power from their own reserves.
The spell is added via a spell book found in three locations in the world. One of them you will encounter not too far along in the main quest. Another you will find during a quest for a Daedra involving a corrupted artifact. The third is in your room after you join the Mage's College.
I like the idea that my Magicka can keep my weapons charged. I still need to build enchanting up to make it useful, but now I'm not as worried about keeping my weapons charged
Hunterborn
I love this Mod. This is another kind of mini achievement mod, in that you develop skills in harvesting pelts and ingredients from animals. You have to put your weapons away and it uses up game time. but the result is you can build up your skill that when you skin an animal you are getting as many as 8 leather from a single fine pelt, it is great for weight conservation and makes hunting worth spending time on in early game.
Bounty Gold
This mod lets you set a leveled scale reward system for bounty hunting, instead of only getting $500 at level 50 you can set it to have a Base gold amount + a multiple of your level, fully configured I set base amount at $200 + (50*lvl) so at level 10 I am getting $700 at level 20 I am getting $1200 and so on.
Really makes it worth while always asking for work at the local inns.
Deadly Dragons
Dragons need to be feared! a Giant or a bandit pack shouldn't even phase a Dragon and Deadly Dragons does that. This mod lets you increase dragon stats and even frequency of dragon spawns I love dragon hunting, and this makes it a real challenge.
Bellyaches New Dragon Species and Ohdaviing Replacer
Bellyaches adds 50 individually placed dragons with 13 different types around Skyrim, they respawn so you can go back and keep fighting dragons when ever you are in the mood. be warned they sometimes pop up in places you aren't expecting to see anyone.
Compatible with Deadly Dragons Making these dragons even harder!
Dovahkriid - The Dragon Lords
This mod adds 10 New Powerful dragons, each dragon comes with a custom set of scales to make a custom set of dragon armor. These wont be fast fights, but they will be worth it.
as I said, I like fighting dragons, and these 3 mods worth fantastic together. You're not over run with dragons, but really any time you're in the mood to fight some they are readily available
Glowing Ore Veins 300
This mod is simple in what it does, it makes ore veins glow, this makes mining take a little less time in dark caves. Not lore freindly but improves game play by far.
Forgotten Magic Redone
Adds 39 new upgradable spells, across 7 classes, they upgrade as you use them and get much harder to upgrade the more you use them. Not over powered, and work within the lore. can be found and purchased.
Realistic Needs and Diseases
- optional files to click off for Drinking Fountains of Skyrim and Pure Water
This mod adds the need to sleep, and the need to eat, but isn't as complicated as some of the other ones. it is giving me my first taste before trying something crazy like frostfall
Drinking Fountains of Skyrim
Helps with RND
Pure Waters
Pretty water
Complete Crafting Overhaul
Complete Crafting Overhaul provides the most comprehensive, consistent, and fully customizable crafting experience in Skyrim. The primary intention of this mod is to correct logical inconsistencies in Skyrim's smithing system and to enhance the functionality and balance of crafting in Skyrim. This mod is also intended to help bridge the gaps between other mods and provide a framework for greater inter-mod consistency and cross-compatibility.
Weapons and Armor Fixes - Remade with Dawnguard and Dragonborn support
Clothing and Clutter Fixes
Smithing Perks Overhaul - Remade and Updated
Download the Smithing Perks-COMPLETE-Improved Vanilla Perk Tree CCO Version
Bandolier - Bags and Pouches
Bandolier - Dawnguard
MoreHUD
More Interesting Loot for Skyrim
Less food more weird junk in barrels, Love it
Morrowloot 4E Edition
More Dragon Loot, this mod is as it says. It adds a little more loot to dragons, so every dragon kill even early in game will result in getting something enchanted and worth while selling.
It is simple and doesn't need much.
Dragon Soul Relinquishment
All the dragons you need to spend the souls somehow, love the implementation
Unread Books Glow
HiRes Legible Road Signs
Trade and Barter
make merchants actually different and give value to going from shop keeper to shop keeper
Breezehome Fully Upgradable
I used a different house mod my last playthrough and installed this one at the end just to see and wow! I really loved it, it has everything a crafting player could want so well managed
Skyrim Immersive Creatures
High Level Enemies - SIC
EK_RingLimter
I want 8 rings, and 2 amulets on my guy, I think it is reasonable to expect that could be the case, this mod allows it
Be a Milk Drinker
Phinix RND Milk
Modifies drinks from Milk for compatibility with Realistic Needs and Diseases. Benefits of Milk drinks retained, all drinks now also decrease thirst, plus Canis Root Tea now serves as a hangover remedy
Immersive Weapons
more weapons
Immersive Armors
More armor
Skyrim Uncapper - NO more skill cap at 100, which is nice for my smithing and 1 handed attacks
High Quality 3D Maps
A Quality World map with roads
These are must haves, makes the map far more useful and beautiful
Sometimes Pick up Books
I hated reading a book and getting a skill boost too early, this mod hopefully is going to solve that for me.
Keep in mind some TES5Edits and a wyrebash were used in this collection I'm about 30 min into the game with these mods on my laptop.