Missing Texture

Cyberweasel89

Okay, so I've got a huge ! box on my character's body. I'm told that indicates a missing texture. But I've unequiped all the items on my character, and it's still there. I have two theories:

1. It's caused by an invisible "follow token" placed on me by one of my followers. Unlikely.

2. It's caused by my recent installation of Type3, with special textures from an optional file. Likely.

Note that this ! box doesn't appear on me the moment I start the game. It takes a bit before it'll show up, and the time usually differs by a few seconds each time I start the game up again. Each time I've tried starting up again, I've waited a few hours, and it shows up soon after the waiting has finished.

So: I'm told that FO3edit can detect conflicts. Can it detect missing textures? If yes, how? Because mine does not. Or, at least, if it does, I haven't figured out how to get it to do so. If it can't, how might I find where the missing texture is? And once I find out where the missing texture belongs, how do I get ahold of the texture that's missing? I mean, if it's missing, I probably won't find it in the mod's files on the Nexus.

On a side note, the same thing happened to me with all the items from Tailor Maid. They all just showed up as a ! box.

Odd, I heard that missing meshes were represented by invisibility of an object...

Okay... So how do I find out what exactly is causing the ! box to appear? How do I find what the missing resource is, where it goes, and how do I obtain it?

Otherwise, I'm stuck with a ! box on my character for the rest of my time with this game... T_T

I've unequiped all the items on my character, but it's still there. So it's either the Dimonized Type 3 Cali skin, a conflict with the previous Exnem skin I used, or the result of an invisible item placed on my character by a game feature, like a "follow token", or something...

I suppose I could just try playing the game with different mods removed and see if it stops doing it, but that doesn't fix how I'm supposed to know what the missing resource is, and it doesn't fix how I'm supposed to obtain the missing resource... I mean, if it's missing, I obviously can't get it from where I originally got the mod, right?

where is the ! centered on the character?

! & invisibility

invisibility without the "!" is typically indicative of a mod that isn't set up for something being used for that. Example, some female only armors may show up as invisible if used on a male character.

Big "!" is for when a mesh is expected by ESP/ESM but not found, Like if a mod doesn't list the requirement for a hairpack & is installed without it, you get the "!" where the hair should be. (happened to me.)

The culprit is probably not Type 3, as it is a mesh/texture replacer. Just ensure that the meshes/textures were put into the proper sub folders of Data and that you use the Toggle invalidation button in FOMM to ensure invalidation is turned off (if it already was and you inadvertently disabled, just click again to re-enable).

Re using FO3Edit to find mesh/texture issues. While it doesn't look for such conflicts, if you have narrowed the culprits to a mod or two, you can use FO3Edit to expand that mod's tree (left side) and find the reference record. In the record data, it will list where the mesh/textures are suppose to be, according to the mod (right panel, View tab). It is then a simple matter to open that location in the appropriate file path using Windows Explorer to see if the resources are indeed there.