GETbacon

28 members have voted

1. 1. what's you fallout game

• fallout 1
    • fallout 2
    • fallout: tactics
    • fallout: BOS since my mom hate me
    • Fallout 3

I thought I ask this question other then to be weird and to find out what game you hold above all others

also rember to comment to keep the thred populer

Yeah, Fallout 2.

FO3 has some pretty nice eye candy and some nice background elements (like the Keller family transcripts and that radio signal about the sick boy and stuff like that), but the story is weak and a lot of the side-quests are... lacking, as well. Someone should do a total conversion - FO2 to the FO3 engine! (yes, I'm well aware what a gargantuan undertaking that would be).

Played Fallout 1, was immediately turned off by the time limit.

Played Fallout 2, but it doesn't work any more. :confused:

Currently playing Fallout 3 GOTY with MMM and loving it. :biggrin:

Want to get BOD because I am absurdly lenient/open minded when it comes to videogames.

@tsff19: Fallout 2 works in XP and Vista (incl. 64bit versions)

though its a pain to install (if you don't have the later released version (which installs correctly on XP and Vista))

what you need to do is install the game as "humongous install" and after that basically copy everything from the CD to your folder (skip all existing files), change a few lines in an .ini and double check you actually copied all files from the disc (it uses laserlock, probably the worst copyprotection ever known to man cause its so screwy and it hides a folder on the disc, which often doesn't get copied during the install, thats fixed in the later released version (prolly figured the game is so old by now there's no point anymore in copyprotection)) and when you're done with that, install the unofficial patch 1.21 or so as well as highres maps (this not only gives you a better world map, it also fixes the travel speed for fast computers (and by fast i mean every computer thats used))

for 64bit versions theres only 1 additional thing needed: start the game once (it most likely will kinda CTD (there's no error message etc. it just starts and is gone)) and open the ini again, at the bottom will be a line that has some numbers in it (should start with something like 64....) completely delete that line, save changes and start the game again. it should now work properly (even if you don't run the game in compatability mode) and even the videos don't look messed up (like they do in Fallout 1 for me)

Well, the thing is, 5/10 times when I started it, the colors became...well, off. Plus it randomly crashed when I was in the Mole Rat Tunnels of the first time.

But I'll keep that procedure you said in mind if I ever get around to reinstalling it. :thanks: