The Growing Scourge

Harabec Weathers

Alright so Ive seen this one coming for a while now, and I have to say I think its soon going to come full blast.

The guy who thought of DLC must have been the same guy who thought of selling bottled water, because its freaking brilliant. EVERYONE is buying into it lol.

This is whats happening.

A company releases a game that is short and very basic. Charge like 60 bucks for the game. Then release a bunch of DLCs to finish the game they didnt finish to begin with. The DLCs cost money. So the inital freakin game ends up costing almost double just to have a "finished" product.

My example.

Fallout 3

Retail price is 60 dollars

if you bought all of the DLCs over GFWL, Fallout 3 costs 120+ dollars.

I cant be only who things this DLC fad is outrageous. There are also rpoblems with this whole DLC online thing with other games. Players cannot play with other players who have the downloaded content. SO If someone buys CoD and wants to play online, they have to buy the map packs to be able to play with other people, after they already bought the game.

Like this crap is really getting out hand.

What do you think? Over reacting? Justified Rant?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm, Mothership Zeta and that other one that adds the pitt, were practically expansions, so don't really fall into the category of a DLC from the common definition. At any rate, for fallout 3, most of the DLCs actually add in new resources and areas, and aren't something cheap, like horse armor.

If you're going to rant about DLC, you would have a better target with EA. Seriously. Take a look at how they're handling things with The Sims 3, and you have a much better argument for the comparison with bottled water. Unlike bethsoft, EA even went a step further and limited the openings for modded items so as to not have the competition. And due to this, The Sims 3 kinda tanked bad, and really lacks the community that kept the previous games going.

I have always seen as DLC good if done right

for example

DLC can be a good thing like Fallout 3 DLCs O:A, PL and MZ they were all good and well done I thoguht but I could never see them work as a proper expansion packs as so are right for DLC

while the two DLC what was BS and The Pitt while was good ideas they were trying to fit soemthing to big in to soemthign what to small which I found was rather dispointing, and more epxnasion pack ideas (e.g somethign like SI from oblivion)

also then theres price

Fo3s DLC was at a right price but things like map packs I always saw as being to expensive for what they were same with oblivions DLC(except KOTN) being to mcuh for what they are.

DLC is good but only if the ideas can fit in to the size and to try get the right price aswell

Yeah, I'm just loving DLCs :rolleyes: It's quite annoying. Go and spend $60 on the game and then have to invest another $60 to get the "entire game"...$120??? Really? :wallbash: That's a lot of money to many people, especially for a video game. Personally, I don't buy games unless they are $20 or less, Oblivion and Morrowind are the only exceptions.

Sheesh, it's like all the game developers think we have bottomless pockets....and they wonder why video game sales have dropped dramatically....

ah yeah, I get to hear it every time I go to my grandma's how much she hates the fact that EA is trying to suck another dollar or two out of her for a dresser or a hairstyle...that's just crap. A good reason why I don't purchase any video game developed or co developed by EA.

yeah i am really starting to think the whole dlc thing is a bunch of crap.

if you are going to make a game, and release it for $60, at least finish the ucking game, and dont sell me the last half in twelve small pieces that cost $15 each, then break each other because you were too ucking lazy to test it. i do like when full games come out with expansions though, that is nice, and i would willingly pay money for them.

Well, the heart of the matter is that game publishers simply have no clue what they're doing, don't understand the value of any of the game content, and only care that they're still making money from it. The concept of DLC or Micro-pay is still "new" to some of them, and the only thing they understand about is that it's a way to suck more money out of a product without any significant investment of time.

The prices for minor stuff won't change because people are stupid enough to keep buying them. If people stop buying, rather than lower the price, or make them more substantial, the company would likely just take it as meaning that people aren't interested in downloading content as a whole. They look at people downloading that content illegally, and just assume that it is all normal piracy without any special meaning behind it. They look at how well something sells at a given price, and so long as someone is buying, and earning them profit, they don't bother to consider what would happen if the same, or similar thing were offered at a lower price. The whole 1 person paying $15, verses 5 people paying $5 thing seems more reliable since that 1 person is almost guaranteed, but those 5 are not.

If any of them had the slightest idea what they were doing, they could really rake in profits and make DLC actually worthwhile. But they don't, and none of us who do will ever be in a position where we have a voice on the matter. It's not their fault that they're greedy and out of touch with the players of a game.

Well, the heart of the matter is that game publishers simply have no clue what they're doing, don't understand the value of any of the game content, and only care that they're still making money from it. The concept of DLC or Micro-pay is still "new" to some of them, and the only thing they understand about is that it's a way to suck more money out of a product without any significant investment of time.

The prices for minor stuff won't change because people are stupid enough to keep buying them. If people stop buying, rather than lower the price, or make them more substantial, the company would likely just take it as meaning that people aren't interested in downloading content as a whole. They look at people downloading that content illegally, and just assume that it is all normal piracy without any special meaning behind it. They look at how well something sells at a given price, and so long as someone is buying, and earning them profit, they don't bother to consider what would happen if the same, or similar thing were offered at a lower price. The whole 1 person paying $15, verses 5 people paying $5 thing seems more reliable since that 1 person is almost guaranteed, but those 5 are not.

If any of them had the slightest idea what they were doing, they could really rake in profits and make DLC actually worthwhile. But they don't, and none of us who do will ever be in a position where we have a voice on the matter. It's not their fault that they're greedy and out of touch with the players of a game.

You got that right. Its an unfortunant situation really.

One that I dont see getting better with time.