How hard is it to make an animated and dynamic fishing mod like in Zelda?

toadguy

I am not sure, but I think it shouldn't be that hard if you have prior experience with animation.

You can only fish when your crosshair is on a body of water and within a certain range and then you click your right or left button after equipping the fishing rod, and an item randomly generates in your inventory.

Someone should at least a mod without the animation where you can equip a fishing rod and then get a fish when clicking on the water.

Edited by toadguy

Just thought of something -- What about equipping the fishing rod as a 'weapon' and when you swing it, the line 'casts' out?

Anyone who knows a little about modding knows animation suck to mod. You can't add new ones and only old ones can be edited, which will cause you to run into problems later in the game.

Sometimes you just gotta accept that you can't mod the way you want and think of a work around.

Just thought of something -- What about equipping the fishing rod as a 'weapon' and when you swing it, the line 'casts' out?

Anyone who knows a little about modding knows animation suck to mod. You can't add new ones and only old ones can be edited, which will cause you to run into problems later in the game.

Sometimes you just gotta accept that you can't mod the way you want and think of a work around.

You add new animation by using FNIS...

That parts not that difficult, thanks to fore's hard work decoding the behaviour files.

Their is a similar sort of thing that was being worked on in terms of animated fishing. The person wanted to make an animated item similar to the animated crown and gauntlet stuff.

Haven't heard back from the modder since though.

Meh...looking at this thread and from personal experiences, I find it hard to believe that Skyrim is a mod friendly game.

Why don't Beth release any documentation on their stuff?

It's like we have to figure out lots of stuff ourselves as well as develop lots of tools ourselves.

Its not that the game is not mod friendly, it is that the game engine we use is terrible. Yes, it is heavy modified, but it the engine is still what is used to be: A static game engine not made for animations.

Also, the majority of tools Bethesda used is copyrighted, so they remove it and give us some half-arsed tools to work around it. Which is why we can not mod hard coded stuff, or mod too deep into the game.

It's been like that since Morrowind, and hopefully they get a new engine which support animations. Like CryEngine by Crytek. That would be something!

we can equip a fishing rod, we can animate it, we can generate objects randomly, now we only need to tie things up together.

No, and no.

1) The video shows a fishing rod as a weapon, using weapon animations.

2) Generate objects randomly?

3) Getting a mesh into the game is easy. Animating it is easy. Animating a fully fishing animation, with your character, is not.

I don't understand why some people spend time on big projects like Skywind when we don't even have an animated fishing mod.

How are the 2 relevant? I don't see it. How is a fishing mod relevant to people making a game that looks like Morrowind, with the Skyrim limitations?

That's like saying: "don't understand why people spend time jogging for a marathon when we don't got hover cars yet". I mean, what?

Edited by Matth85

Meh...looking at this thread and from personal experiences, I find it hard to believe that Skyrim is a mod friendly game.

Why don't Beth release any documentation on their stuff?

It's like we have to figure out lots of stuff ourselves as well as develop lots of tools ourselves.

I gotta agree with Matth85. Comment is irrelevant.

Its not that the game is not mod friendly, it is that the game engine we use is terrible. Yes, it is heavy modified, but it the engine is still what is used to be: A static game engine not made for animations.

Also, the majority of tools Bethesda used is copyrighted, so they remove it and give us some half-arsed tools to work around it. Which is why we can not mod hard coded stuff, or mod too deep into the game.

It's been like that since Morrowind, and hopefully they get a new engine which support animations. Like CryEngine by Crytek. That would be something!

we can equip a fishing rod, we can animate it, we can generate objects randomly, now we only need to tie things up together.

No, and no.

1) The video shows a fishing rod as a weapon, using weapon animations.

2) Generate objects randomly?

3) Getting a mesh into the game is easy. Animating it is easy. Animating a fully fishing animation, with your character, is not.

You are totally right, except for 2 points:

1. It's not the engine that is mod resistant with respect to animations. With Oblivion we didn't have a modder's paradise, but we were much better off than we are now. It's this Havok tool HBT, which it TOTALLY designed without anything useful for modding. But since this tool is state-of-the-art, and apparently Beth didn't want to implement something themselves, we are put into this misery.

2. When mesh and animation are easy, then something like a fishing mod ios easy as well. With FNIS you can easily define the animation with the rod as an animated object. And you can even put a variety of such animations into a "sequenced animation", controlled and randomized by a script.