143 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one:

• Human Noble
    • Elf Commoner
    • Elf Dalish
    • Dwarf Casteless
    • Dwarf Noble
    • Mage

Also, why didn't mom care that theres a dead naked elf in your bedroom?

Perhaps she is too upset over the death of her grandson to care? Last time I played that origin I was an elf so it probably seemed natural for her adopted elf-son to be banging another elf.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite would be human noble, the environment was extremely immersive, especially after modding it with the Noble origin mod that actually makes you feel like a real noble. And you have utterely no reason to join the Wardens at the end as well - your family is doomed to certain death and you can do nothing about the traitor except to run and survive. For all the other origins, joining the Wardens is an escape of sorts, but in the human noble origin, fate really called at a bad time. And it affects the rest of the story for you - you are out to stop the Blight after just having lost your entire family to the right hand man of the same general that betrayed the Wardens, my only gripe is that the conflict between your desire for revenge and your duty as a Grey Warden didn't come out as much (only at the start of Lothering when Alistair asks you what you plan to do and in your conversations with Wynne as far as I have noted).

Dalish Elf - meh, only kick I got out of it was getting to execute the shems at the start in an utterly badass fashion. The rest of it was rather boring and plain. Joining the Grey Wardens was a choice between losing your clan or your life, not a big choice and you're basically forced into it by your elder.

City Elf - Okay, I like the way the human-elf relations turned out but it makes no sense that you fight through an arling full of armed guards and survive but can't dodge a simple blow from an arl's son (who probably can't fight any better than those guards) and not to mention the drama from Duncan invoking the Right of Conscription is kind of watered down. As the city guard, I wouldn't just let the elf who murdered the arl's son just be gone that easily. The Grey Wardens are said to use the Right of Consciption sparingly for fear of political reprisal, I didn't see this being brought out in this origin. Not to mention that the "wedding" thing was kind of dumb to begin with.

Magi - Annoying as hell. I become tool whether I decide to be loyal to the Circle or help a friend. The Harrowing, for its exaggerated danger, seemed overly easy. Not the "you're a really skilled mage with lots of potential" easy, but a "this is supposed to be a true test of ability?" easy. The pride demon leaves you alone and says "true tests never end" - I don't see the demon coming back to make you a deal or challenge you later in the story at all.

Dwarf Noble - Underwhelming. That's all I'm going to say.

Dwarf Commoner - Possibly a second favourite, losing only to the human noble origin in terms of immersion in environment. The environment just didn't make me feel like I was Casteless and unwanted member of society. It felt as if I was no different from the other dwarves with Castes. I suppose this is kind of hard to pull off, but I just didn't have the "feeling" I did with the human noble origin - that I really felt like my character would've in this situation.

My favourite would be human noble, the environment was extremely immersive, especially after modding it with the Noble origin mod that actually makes you feel like a real noble. And you have utterely no reason to join the Wardens at the end as well - your family is doomed to certain death and you can do nothing about the traitor except to run and survive. For all the other origins, joining the Wardens is an escape of sorts, but in the human noble origin, fate really called at a bad time. And it affects the rest of the story for you - you are out to stop the Blight after just having lost your entire family to the right hand man of the same general that betrayed the Wardens, my only gripe is that the conflict between your desire for revenge and your duty as a Grey Warden didn't come out as much (only at the start of Lothering when Alistair asks you what you plan to do and in your conversations with Wynne as far as I have noted).

Dalish Elf - meh, only kick I got out of it was getting to execute the shems at the start in an utterly badass fashion. The rest of it was rather boring and plain. Joining the Grey Wardens was a choice between losing your clan or your life, not a big choice and you're basically forced into it by your elder.

City Elf - Okay, I like the way the human-elf relations turned out but it makes no sense that you fight through an arling full of armed guards and survive but can't dodge a simple blow from an arl's son (who probably can't fight any better than those guards) and not to mention the drama from Duncan invoking the Right of Conscription is kind of watered down. As the city guard, I wouldn't just let the elf who murdered the arl's son just be gone that easily. The Grey Wardens are said to use the Right of Consciption sparingly for fear of political reprisal, I didn't see this being brought out in this origin. Not to mention that the "wedding" thing was kind of dumb to begin with.

Magi - Annoying as hell. I become tool whether I decide to be loyal to the Circle or help a friend. The Harrowing, for its exaggerated danger, seemed overly easy. Not the "you're a really skilled mage with lots of potential" easy, but a "this is supposed to be a true test of ability?" easy. The pride demon leaves you alone and says "true tests never end" - I don't see the demon coming back to make you a deal or challenge you later in the story at all.

Dwarf Noble - Underwhelming. That's all I'm going to say.

Dwarf Commoner - Possibly a second favourite, losing only to the human noble origin in terms of immersion in environment. The environment just didn't make me feel like I was Casteless and unwanted member of society. It felt as if I was no different from the other dwarves with Castes. I suppose this is kind of hard to pull off, but I just didn't have the "feeling" I did with the human noble origin - that I really felt like my character would've in this situation.

CrapsterZ: Wow, I really like the way you think and love the way you articulated all of your choices. My favorite was the dwarf commoner as already posted on this site. But I just loved hearing your reasoning. It was so well thought out and presented. I'm really getting a kick out of these forums. It is bringing me a lot of insight into the people who play these games and into the games themselves. I'm going to go to your page and give you a kudo. You deserve it. Thanks for your thoughts! :smile:

Heh, thanks. I think that's the first time anyone has ever given me credit for my thoughts, people usually just get pissed off xD

And well, admittedly I haven't played through the dwarf origins seriously, so my thoughts my change.

• 3 weeks later...

CrapsterZ: Wow, I really like the way you think and love the way you articulated all of you choices. My favorite was the dwarf commoner as already posted on this site. But I just loved hearing your reasoning. It was so well thought out and presented. I'm really getting a kick out of these forums. It is bringing me a lot of insight into the people who play these games and into the game themselves. I'm going to go to your page and give you a kudo. You deserve it. Thanks for your thoughts! :smile:

I second that, it was summed up quite nicely IMHO. I also like the human noble origin best, mostly due to the impact it has on the ongoing story and the choices it offers you at the end. I was rather disappointed when playing as an elf, especially when I was in the Dalish camp to recruit them...I really expected a bit more there.

Also, why didn't mom care that theres a dead naked elf in your bedroom?

Given the comment Fergus makes when you tell him you have someone waiting for you, she might be used to finding naked people in your bedroom :biggrin:

I think she can figure out the dead part without any help :rolleyes:

You would think so, yes...though, if you play on and find your father, she asks him what has happened and why he is bleeding. I was like: "Erm...you do remember what is going on outside, yes? Fighting? Us killing a bunch of attackers just a few seconds ago and such?"

I think she can figure out the dead part without any help :rolleyes:

You would think so, yes...though, if you play on and find your father, she asks him what has happened and why he is bleeding. I was like: "Erm...you do remember what is going on outside, yes? Fighting? Us killing a bunch of attackers just a few seconds ago and such?"

Ok, so she's not the brightest light bulb in the pack; warden gets his/her smarts from dad :biggrin:

Only thing that sucks about Dwarf Noble origin is that either failure or stupidity are your only options. Whether the Dwarf Noble PC is stupid enough to readily trust that Bhelen has no underhanded motive in "helping" them, or refuses to listen to what he tells them and plays the smart politician who decides to wait and see how things develop, Trian ends up dead, everyone sides and testifies falsely against them and the PC gets exiled into the Deep Roads. The 'everybody' includes a man you could have fought in an honorable fight in a Proving the day before, and even selflessly given the reward for his valor in battle... ouch.

That why I side with Harrowmont in the Orzammar quest later on when I play a Dwarf Noble just so I can get revenge and kill that power glutton snake Bhelen for utterly destroying my life. That son of a gun.