A few issues and a few questions

oblivion9794

I wasn't sure if i should put this here or in Mod Troubleshooting so if this is in the wrong location i apologize.

Also beware, this post may end up being long.

So i'm fairly new to skyrim modding. I got a new pc so i kinda lost my mind and installed a large amount of mods, all at once. I probably only skipped about 5 mods out of 200+. I'm not too sure what i did to cause it but now my skyrim main menu just has an infinite loop and won't finish loading(i just see the logo and smoke, no more "continue" or "new game"). I've tried running the SKSE Skyrim and the normal Skyrim, same issue.

The odd thing is that this happened when i disabled a few mods (i started to realize i probably have too many mods on and need to tone it down some). I knew my normal save would probably just give me an infinite loading screen so I planned to start over for the 4th time, but of course i can't even do that now.

I use NMM,SKSE, and usually let BOSS handle the load order since i'm still too new to this to figure out what an optimal load order would be. The game still worked when i did this but i also cleaned my main skyrim files use TES5Edit(i have legendary edition so i cleaned the 3 dlc as well).

And the boss log (hope i did this right)

SKSE Version: 0.1.6.16
CharacterMakingExtender_plugin.dll
chargen.dll
nioverride.dll
showRaceMenu_preCacheKiller.dll
These plugins are recognised by BOSS and have been sorted according to its masterlist. Please read any attached messages and act on any that require action.

Skyrim.esm Active
Update.esm Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Version 2.0.3 Active
Note: It is highly recommended that you also use the Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.
Dawnguard.esm Active
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp Version 2.0.3 Active
HearthFires.esm Active
Dragonborn.esm Active
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp Version 2.0.3 Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev}}
ApachiiHair.esm Version 1.4 Active
RaceCompatibility.esm Version 1.60a Active
Dual Wield for Followers.esm Active
NPCs.esm Active
WinterholdDestruction.esm Active
HighResTexturePack01.esp Active
HighResTexturePack02.esp Active
HighResTexturePack03.esp Active
DSAMG - Miraak Music Fixes.esp Active
USKP Patcher for RaceCompatibility.esp Active
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp Version 1.1.6 Active
ShowRaceMenuOptions.esp Version 82 Active
SplashofRain.esp Version 1.04 Active
Supreme Storms.esp Active
AOS.esp Active
Note: See also AOS compatibility patches page on Nexus.
Improved Combat Sounds v2.2.esp Active
randomthunder.esp Active
Remove Interior Fog V2 - Full Version.esp Version 2 Active
CarpenterChests_Hearthfire.esp Active
DeathNote.esp Active
DSpSoB.esp Active
Requires: Neovalen Race Compatibility.esp
Note: Make sure you use Dawnguard version.
GuessDistance.esp Active
hc5changerace.esp Version 1. Active
OreMerchant.esp Active
DudestiaOutfitChanger.esp Version 1.1b Active
ShootingStars.esp Version 1.041 Active
Unicorn.esp Active
Contains dirty edits: 6 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
WetandCold.esp Version 1.402 Active
DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp Active
Note: Make sure you have not switched DoF off in your ini file. If you don't see any effect, open you Skyrimprefs.ini and look for 'bDoDepthOfField'. Make sure it is set to 1.
RaceMenu.esp Active
RaceMenuPlugin.esp Active
Note: RaceMenuPlugin is optional and provides support to alter Height, Breast, Glute and Biceps. If you experience issues with it, disable RaceMenuPlugin.esp and inform the author.
SkyUI.esp Version 4.1 Active
Berserk Mule Armor - Heavry Armor.esp Active
Berserk Mule Armor - Light Armor.esp Active
BlackSacramentArmor.esp Active
Daedric Extra Armor.esp Active
Warning: Contains unexpected (or out of order) records. A compatibility patch fixed and cleaned with TES5Edit can be obtained here. (Compatibility Patch)
EC Clothes.esp Active
Evil MasterMind Armor.esp Active
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp Active
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp Version 7.1 Active
Immersive Weapons.esp Active
Insanity's Dragon Katana.esp Version 1.0 Active
KatanaCrafting.esp Active
konahrik_accoutrements.esp Version 5.5.0 Active
konahrik_accoutrements_db.esp Version 5.5.0 Active
Neo's Oriental Dress.esp Active
R18Pn - Eisen Platte Armor.esp Active
SamuraiClanPack.esp Active
Schwertleite Set.esp Active
SeraphimStandAlone.esp Active
Warning: Contains unexpected (or out of order) records. A compatibility patch fixed and cleaned with TES5Edit can be obtained here. (Compatibility Patch)
UNP Simply Clothes.esp Active
VampireLeatherArmorSet.esp Active
WickedBlade.esp Active
LC_immersiveLoot.esp Active
Equipping Overhaul.esp Active
DeadlyDragons.esp Active
ERSO 03.3 - Super Mighty Dawnguard Dragons.esp Active
Note: Use only one ERSO 03.3 esp.
ERSO 03.4 - Nightmare Dragonborn Dragons.esp Active
Note: Use only one ERSO 03.4 esp.
ERSO 03.5 - New Dragon Super Loots.esp Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Relev, Delev}}
Note: Use only one ERSO 03.5 esp.
ERSO 04 - Mighty Odahviing.esp Active
ERSO 04.2 - Mighty Durnehviir.esp Active
ERSO 05 - Dovah Holy Book.esp Active
ERSO 06 - Wait More Time Dragon Encounter x3.0.esp Active
ERSO 07 - Slighty Mighty Dragon Priests.esp Active
Note: Use only one ERSO 07 esp.
ERSO 09 - Vendor Trainer Quest-giver protected USKP.esp Active
Note: Use only one ERSO 09 esp.
SkyRe_Main.esp Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Relev, Delev}}
Requires: Skyrim -Community- Uncapper for full perk functionality.
Note: If lockpicking is not work then try to delete 'interface\lockpickingmenu.swf'.
Note: If you have a problem with aiming try to install this mod.
Note: To make aiming easier add the following lines to Skyrim.ini:
Note: [Actor]
Note: fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=12288.0000
Note: [Combat]
Note: f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.64
Note: f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.64
Note: fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0
Note: fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0
SkyRe_Combat.esp Active
SkyRe_EncounterZones.esp Active
SkyRe_EnemyAI.esp Active
SkyRe_EnemyScaling.esp Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Relev}}
SkyRe_StandingStones.esp Active
konahrik_accoutrements_SkyRe.esp Version 5.5.0 Active
AdalMatar.esp Active
Contains dirty edits: 17 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
Note: V1.1+: This file contains 3 deleted NavMesh records that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically, and which are reported by the mod author to be harmless artifacts from Creation Kit export.
AgentOfRighteousMight.esp Active
AK- A Friend of Time.esp Active
Alastherium.esp Active
Amazing Riverwood Starter Home.esp Active
Beautiful Riften.esp Active
Contains dirty edits: 13 ITM, 102 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
BetterDarkBrotherhood.esp Active
Warning: This file contains 2 deleted NavMesh record(s) that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game. NavMesh deletions should be reported to the mod author. A guide to repairing NavMesh deletions with TES5Edit is located here.
beyond_skyrim.esp Active
bhabhilon.esp Active
Borderlands.esp Active
Warning: This file contains 34 deleted NavMesh record(s) that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game. NavMesh deletions should be reported to the mod author. A guide to repairing NavMesh deletions with TES5Edit is located here.
CastleGrey.esp Active
Incompatible with: UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive.esp Active
DA_Skyship.esp Active
Warning: If you are running Dragonborn you should use the Dragonborn compatibility patch included in the installer.
Descentintomadness2.esp Active
DragonmournInn.esp Active
Warning: This file contains 4 deleted NavMesh record(s) that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game. NavMesh deletions should be reported to the mod author. A guide to repairing NavMesh deletions with TES5Edit is located here.
Ebonvale.esp Active
FalkreathCastle.esp Active
GR123 Castle.esp Active
HalfMoonVillage.esp Active
Hearthfire Cheat Chests.esp Active
Hebrock_Der Schatten von Meresis - EV.esp Active
Contains dirty edits: 1 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
LC_CastleInvasion.esp Active
Contains dirty edits: 37 ITM, 27 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
Warning: This file contains 7 deleted NavMesh record(s) that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game. NavMesh deletions should be reported to the mod author. A guide to repairing NavMesh deletions with TES5Edit is located here.
Lurking in the shadows.esp Active
Warning: This file contains 9 deleted NavMesh record(s) that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game. NavMesh deletions should be reported to the mod author. A guide to repairing NavMesh deletions with TES5Edit is located here.
MissingApprentices.esp Version 1.31 Active
MythicDawnRerise.esp Version 1.6 Active
Nightingale Hall.esp Active
ResearchThief.esp Active
RogueWizard.esp Version 1.0 Active
SkyHavenTempleEnhanced.esp Active
StillbornKingdom.esp Version 2.5 Active
suncresthall.esp Active
Contains dirty edits: 48 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
Warning: This file contains 2 deleted NavMesh record(s) that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game. NavMesh deletions should be reported to the mod author. A guide to repairing NavMesh deletions with TES5Edit is located here.
SwordOfSigdan.esp Active
Thanes Basement.esp Active
TheDomain.esp Active
Warning: This file contains 1 deleted NavMesh record(s) that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game. NavMesh deletions should be reported to the mod author. A guide to repairing NavMesh deletions with TES5Edit is located here.
The Fifth Gate.esp Active
Contains dirty edits: 69 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
TheFrontier.esp Active
Contains dirty edits: 8 ITM, 1 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp Version 1.2.7 Active
the room.esp Active
TytaniumDragonGeneration.esp Active
Undeath.esp Active
Valuungrann.esp Active
xamnant.esp Active
YourMarketStall.esp Active
SkyrimCoinReplacerRedux.esp Active
BetterQuestObjectives.esp Active
Warning: This file is out of date. Please obtain the new version here.
Killable Children.esp Active
Killable Children - Quest Important Protected.esp Active
Contains dirty edits: 11 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
Convenient Horses.esp Version 14950 Active
Note: Do not clean. "Dirty" edits are intentional and required for the mod to function.
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp Active
Requires: 0 Dragonborn-Dawnguard_Compatibility Patch \ Dawnguard + Dragonborn.
TheChoiceIsYours.esp Active
TheChoiceIsYours_Dawnguard.esp Active
Thieves Guild Requirements.esp Active
bathhouse.esp Active
DarkbroSanctuary1.0.0.esp Active
Drinking Fountains of Skyrim.esp Active
ExpandedWinterholdRuins.esp Active
Unique Grasses.esp Active
RealisticRoomRental-Basic.esp Active
SoS - The Wilds.esp Version 1.13 Active
Note: Do not use the Crash Fix ESP for this mod. It is flagged as a master and is only meant as a last resort for fixing crashes.
Contains dirty edits: 8 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
SoS - Civilization.esp Version 1.02 Active
Note: Do not use the Crash Fix ESP for this mod. It is flagged as a master and is only meant as a last resort for fixing crashes.
CinematicFireFX.esp Active
MidasSkyrim.esp Active
Warning: Original file was released before the Creation Kit (07 Feb. 2012) an update to the previous compatibility patch fixed and cleaned with TES5Edit can be obtained here. (Compatibility Patch)
Phenderix Tool - Weapon Edit.esp Active
ShoutTravel.esp Active
Better Stealth AI for Followers.esp Active
DragonCombatOverhaulDragonborn.esp Active
Killmove Control.esp Active
The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp Version 1.8 Active
Contains dirty edits: 1 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
Crimson Tide - Blood.esp Active
Incompatible with: dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
Contains dirty edits: 14 ITM, 41 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
Skill Config.esp Active
MLPhysicalAdept.esp Active
Stealth Skills Rebalanced_COMPLETE.esp Active
HeartBreaker.esp Version 3.02 Active
Pretty Combat Idles.esp Active
Pretty Female Idles.esp Active
Pretty Poses And Animations.esp Active
vImmersiveBeds.esp Version 1.01 Active
AzarHairPonyTail 03 - Havok.esp Active
Fh hairs-by zzjay.esp Active
N_43 Hair Pack.esp Active
LunariRace.esp Active
Resplendent - The Races Package.esp Active
SuccubusRaceLite.esp Active
ApprenticeOfThuum.esp Active
Contains dirty edits: 3 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
Follower Pack I.esp Active
Follower Pack II.esp Active
Follower Pack III.esp Active
UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp Version 1.2i Active
Warning: UFO - Dawnguard AddOn.esp required to work properly with Dawnguard (Official Bethesda DLC)
Warning: UFO - Heartfire AddOn.esp required to work properly with Hearthfires (Official Bethesda DLC)
Note: For safe install need dismiss all your followers, save, delete all included mods, load again, save and install UFO. For safe uninstall or update see special instructions on mod page.
Contains dirty edits: 18 ITM, 0 UDR records Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
AKElvenTeenies.esp Active
Alma.esp Active
boudica.esp Active
BTRH_Tomoe.esp Active
Celestine.esp Active
CeramiFollower.esp Active
Delphine Makeover.esp Active
EdgeSisters.esp Active
KathFollower.esp Active
Lucretia.esp Active
Nanako.esp Active
OroroMunroe.esp Active
PSCombatCompanions.esp Active
Sara.esp Active
Thieves Guild Followers.esp Active
Contains dirty edits: 4 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
XiaXiaoWei.esp Active
Zt_followers.esp Active
DudestiaActivityScheduler.esp Version 0.1b Active
LylvieveSisters.esp Active
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp Active
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp Version 2.3.6b Active
Height Adjusted Races.esp Version 6 Active
Note: Use only one Height Adjusted Races*.esp.
CharacterMakingExtender.esp Active
DeadlyMutilation.esp Active
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp Active
Note: Ragdolls will conflict with other mods that change the skeleton.nif. Check Custom Skeleton Replacers for compatibly with other skeleton.nif.
Facelight.esp Active
RaceChanger.esp Active
SkyRe_Races.esp Active
Incompatible with: DSpSoB.esp
TTYM - Think to Yourself Messages.esp Active
Immersive Interiors.esp Version 0.2.5. Active
CWIApachiiSkyHairPatch.esp Active
DudestiaMultiMarriages.esp Active
ReProccer.esp Active

The following plugins were not found in the masterlist, and must be positioned manually,using your favourite mod manager or by using BOSS's user rules functionality. You can submit unrecognised plugins for addition to the masterlist directly from this log by clicking on a plugin and supplying a link and/or description of its contents in the panel that is displayed.

Fantasy Soundtrack Project.esp Version 2.0 Active
JapanLodge.esp Active
AngasMillVillage.esp Active
MixwaterVillage.esp Active
HeartwoodMillVillage.esp Active
HroldanVillage.esp Active
NightgateVillage.esp Active
LC_BecomeJarlofIvarstead.esp Active
FCO - Follower Commentary Overhaul.esp Active
MoonAndStar_MAS.esp Active
Keyblade Wielder plugin.esp Active
WA Ayame.esp Active
WA Himeno.esp Active
WA Homura.esp Active
WA Mai.esp Active
WA Sakura.esp Active
FollowerSha.esp Active
HauntingofBreezehome.esp Active
stealingsovngarde.esp Active
SurSummerAssault - Imperial.esp Active
TheEvilMansionFE.esp Active
FSP - Dawnguard Edition.esp Active
FSP - Unique Towns & Locations.esp Active
CWIDawnDragonPatch.esp Active
balfer.esp Active
LovelyHairstylesCE.esp Active
chfshPlayerVoicesets.esp Active
Zt Followers-2.esp Active
Seductress Serana.esp Active

Long list, so again i wouldn't be surprised if the number of mods caused it, though it'd be kinda demotivating to know i can't use a bunch of mods to change my overall game.

That's the first issue. About the second problem:

Prior to this, i had made my third save(first two saves had a few problem mods and wouldn't load without them so i just moved on) because for some reason my game keeps freezing. It used to CTD but that stopped, I don't quite remember what i did to stop that. I'm fairly certain the freezing was due to conflicting mods or just an overabundance in texture mods(i did a little research to try to fix the problem on my own and that seems like the likely issue). I notice certain locations are fine but i started having problems just using a simple "coc" console command. Sometimes i'll use it and then my character will still be in the same area, other time i'll just hit an infinite loading screen. This save game had a few hiccups but functioned overall, it just randomly started giving me issues the further i got in it.

Now for the questions...

Before posting I did some searching about my problems and (correct me if i'm wrong) it seems like even if you have a lot of VRAM to use, Skyrim won't use a lot of it? Like in my case i have 8gb so i assumed that it'd be free to utilize all of it, thus i figured i would have no issue with using a bunch of high quality texture mods. Whenever my game would freeze, i'd have to open task manager to close it and it usually used about 2gb but nothing too much higher (the exact number varied). Can i get some clarity on this if someone doesn't mind?

Also, I'm thinking of getting into Skyrim modding, and especially delving into this community, but i'm not sure what a good start would be. I have modded games before, but nothing major or substantial, just little things to have fun(like making pistols shoot rocket bullets and things like that).

On one hand i feel like i'd like to create new weapons and armor, but then i'd love to make my own custom quests as well. I definitely want to make new animations as i feel like that adds something nice yet subtle to the game. I tend to have a bunch of ideas, so that's never an issue (other than being overly ambitious and never finishing the big ones). I've never been one thats majorly keen on nor adept in the technical aspect of things, but more of the aesthetics, so more technical focused mods i'd probably avoid. I guess i'm asking what would probably be the good start to get used to how things work, and what would probably take up less personal time (unless it's solely based on the person, then nevermind).

Once again, sorry for the long post but hopefully i can get some help here.

Thanks.

You are not gonna like my advice, but IMO you would ultimately save time and frustration by starting over. To this end, the below may help you.

Help for trouble-free modding:

1. Go to STEP and follow the directions to revert to vanilla skyrim.

2. Start a new game, do not attempt to apply an old save, it will not work and may reintroduce corruption back into your now clean game.

3. Do not make any changes at all until you exit Helgen (the other option is to start with an alternate start mod to avoid the Helgen sequence.)

4, Before making any changes, read everything available on the subject. If it is a mod, read every last word of the readme, description, discussion thread, everything. If it is an ini change, google it, visit a few reputable sources and determine if it is worth trying. Just because one guy puts up a list of his ini changes and swears buy it does not mean it will work for you, and it might even make things worse. When considering any change, mod, .ini file, setting, whatever, consider it in light of your own system hardware and software and the other mods/changes you intend to make. Investigate any possible conflicts before adding it.

5. When you are ready to make any changes (mods, ini settings, anything) attempt only 1 or two at a time. If it's a mod, run BOSS. BOSS is a regular program, not a mod. There is a useful vid for BOSS, here. Set it up to generate the log in .txt format, not html. Read the log and address any messages. In any case, play a bit to test for stability, performance, and compatibility. Make sure to properly place the unrecognized mods as instructed by the mod author, or use TES5Edit or WryeBAsh, or if all else fails, place it with similar mods that are recognized, though that is more trial and error. Also, a number of excellent mods require you use skse. You can find it here. It now has an automatic installer. on that page, you will see there is a link to a readme, which you should read for help understanding the program. There is also another gopher vid to help you set it up, here.

6. If you notice any negative effect of your change (not just crashes, but performance loss, glitches, anything), Stop. Do not attempt to keep playing and definitely do not add any new variables into your system. Investigate the possible causes. If it is a mod and you want to try to remove it, then remove it, but be sure to follow the author's removal instructions exactly. To be safe, go back to the save from just before you added it. (This is easy of you are slowly adding mods, but extremely painful if you add everything at once, play a bunch and have no idea where the problem lies. ) This will also help you avoid with script problems from removed mods that will continue and may get worse.

7. If you get stuck, post a detailed question before you get frustrated. Detailed means t include your BOSS log, noting how you placed unrecognized mods, other supporting programs you have used (like TES5Edit, skse, Any texture optimizers, enbs, etc.) Also provide your computer specs, any changes to your driver profile and/or skyrim ini files. Finally, provide details about the crash--how long you've had it, what changed before you first noticed it, any patterns like time playing, specific areas or activities like opening a menu or such. Explain what you have already tried to fix the problem and what the results were.

8. Once you get your mods and other changes the way you want them, your game is stable and performing well, then stop. Every time you add or change any variable, you are inviting instability. If a new mod shows up and you think you just have to have it, ask yourself if it is worth having to start all over for--because, you may have to. If the answer is yes, then go ahead and try it and if your game crashes, well, you were willing to take the risk.

Recommendations for maintaining a trouble free game:

1. I personally suggest avoiding the Steam workshop for mods, because it will automatically update and sometimes even remove mods in your list, which can cause your game to die. Also, playing with Steam in offline mode will prevent unexpected updates from causing havoc.

2. Disable auto updates and avoid using quicksave, as these increase the chance of savegame corruption. Also, if your save does become corrupt, you will need to go back to your last working full save, which can be extremely painful if you rarely make them. You can do this by going into your Prefs.ini text file and then making sure the following lines look like this:
[Main]
bSaveOnPause=0
bSaveOnTravel=0
bSaveOnWait=0
bSaveOnRest=0

[saveGame]
fAutosaveEveryXMins=0.0000

For people who want the convenience of auto save with the functionality of a full save, there are a few mods you might check out, such as Ishara's Normal Numbered AutoSaves

Here is Gopher's vid on BOSS and his Beginner's Mod Tutorial

If you are unwilling to do that at this time, then I suggest you take care of all of the messages in your BOSS log, For example you have a bunch that require TES5Edit cleaning. Make sure you have all needed patches and master files, and properly hand place the unrecognized mods. I'd also carefully re-read all f the mod pages for the unrecognized mods, since BOSS will have no info on needed masters/patches, and open them up in TES5Edit since BOSS will not have info on whether they need cleaning.

After that, if you are still having problems, you could try Save Game Script Cleaner to deal with the problem from those mods you removed. Generally I am very wary of save cleaners, but this one does appear more promising. I have not needed to try it though. Any time you use a save game cleaner, you need to accept the risk that you may fry your game. So this would be the last thing to try.

After doing all that, if you are still crashing, I think you may want to revisit my first suggestion. Building a game properly takes a lot of time--days, even more, maybe. But the result is a stable game you can enjoy playing rather than fixing for months.

Just because you can install a lot of mods that doesn't mean you should - Number one mistake made by beginners is to install a bunch of mods all at once - That is nearly guaranteed to lead to an unplayable game.

Not every mod is compatible with every other mod - and sometimes there is NO way to make them work together.

BOSS is not a cure all for mod problems, it is just a suggested load order - It's not always right, but it is the best thing we have for ordering mods

READ the BOSS log and do what the notes suggest - they are there for a reason.

Even the best system can bog down when there are just too many heavy duty mods installed. Lighten up on your system

The absolute maximum number of mods that can be installed is 255, but most systems fail long before that - it will depend on what mods you use.

READ the documentation on every mod before you install it - Often the author will tell you if it is not compatible with something else, or if it needs something else to work.

Mods that make changes to the same things will often conflict - most often the last one loaded will just overwrite the previous one ( making the first one not do anything and just take up space) But, sometimes it causes a crash.

8G of Vram? re you sure you don't mean System Ram? Vram is the ram on your video card. And very few have even 4G of Vram - and those are very expensive. System ram is the ram installed on your mother board. And the absolute maximum that Skyrim can use is 4 G - this is a limitation of the game engine and cannot be 'fixed'. Anything over 4G of system ram can be used for background programs, but having a lot of background stuff can cause other problems.

Other info. just having too many mods in the data folder can cause problems - even if they are not all being used. - the number is well over 400 so this is not often seen.

Learn to use both Tes5edit and Wrye Bash They can help with dirty edits, conflicts and merging to cut down on the number of mods.

I actually don't mind starting over. I've done it 3 times already lol. The only annoying thing for me is having to keep remaking my character, but other than that i don't mind at all.

I'll take a look at doing those suggestions once i make Skyrim Vanilla again (i didnt know the autoupdates even existed and didnt know that in conjunction with autosave can make the save corrupt). I'll also look at the BOSS tutorial.

Building a game properly takes a lot of time--days, even more, maybe. But the result is a stable game you can enjoy playing rather than fixing for months.

I'd rather spend weeks making my game work than months fixing something broken.

-

Once the first bits of freezing and crashing happened, i figured the amount of mods would be the cause. I wasn't aware the Maximum number was 255. That's good to know.

After the first failed game, i went back and started re-reading the mod notes and what mods were needed. Most just needed SKSE, though of course few others wanted different mods. I'm sure i missed a few but didnt really stress it since the game worked at the time. I notice quite often though the author will add "recommended" mods but not "required" mods.

In regard to the BOSS notes, the reason i didnt clean those mods it suggested is because i read somewhere (i forget where) that sometimes even though a mod will have dirty edits and such, sometimes they are intentional so cleaning could actually make things worse, and since i barely know what im doing, i didn't want to destroy my game further.

I sort of figured mods that affect the same thing would conflict when both active which is why i went back in and disabled mods (i have a few that affect snow) but it gets hard to decide what to enable and disable when it comes to character textures (specifically i'm referring to UNP and CBBE, things of that nature). I try to get mods that are CBBE compatible (i was suggested CBBE by a friend since they have had no issues with it though i'm kinda leaning toward UNP now) but i know some mods are not CBBE compatible and i just kinda figured if i had both active, the mod would have to work. Clearly i'm mistaken but i just felt like explaining my reasoning.

I did mean 8gb of RAM, not VRAM. Not sure why i wrote that :pinch:

It's a shame there has to be that limit, though i guess its better than having people break down their pc's over a game.

I'm not asking for you to hold my hand or anything, but what or who have the better/proper and tutorials about TES5Edit and Wyre Bash?

I don't want to learn about these things in the wrong way, or miss important info about the programs/what i'm doing with them.

Thank you both for the info and thanks for even replying in such a short time period. Although the second part of my question wasn't answered, i guess i should deal with my issue first :laugh:

Edited by oblivion9794

Hi, I don't follow STEP as such (Mainly because my GPU is below their minimum specs...sigh), but they have a lot of very useful information (like the revert to vanilla. guide I linked.) They also have good guides and links to utilities, and their forum contains discussions on these that also may be useful to you.

Here is a link to their page with links to their guides. Have fun!