Need help with an Idea

timota21

So, as you may I have guessed, I would like to add a perk to FO3. The perk would allow you to knock down enemies with melee weapons if you were running at them. This would not be a 100% successful everytime of course.

I know how the victory rifel does it, but that wouldn't work here. I can't just give every melee weapon a script, especially since some already have them. Of course I could just add the code into those scripts, but that is just bad modding lol.

So, I was wondering if there was a way to apply an effect to a weapon without adding a script to that individual weapon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: After looking through the geck real quick, it appears that only two melee weapons don't have scripts. The two from that black and white quest. So I could just create a script that checks if the player is running, and has this perk, but there must still be a more "eloquent" way of doing this. I don't like brute forcing things.

You would pretty much be stuck using FOSE to detect which type of weapon a player has.

With player.GetEquippedObject 5 you can get the BaseID of the weapon the player is currently carrying. Check that against the known melee weapons and the player's proximity to their GetCombatTarget, and you have a pretty good basis for a trigger. Do this in a token or quest script, and then use a timer to control how frequently it kicks in.

You would pretty much be stuck using FOSE to detect which type of weapon a player has.

With player.GetEquippedObject 5 you can get the BaseID of the weapon the player is currently carrying. Check that against the known melee weapons and the player's proximity to their GetCombatTarget, and you have a pretty good basis for a trigger. Do this in a token or quest script, and then use a timer to control how frequently it kicks in.

Dang, that sucks. I can't use FOSE. Stupid D2D

Actually, you could avoid FOSE and use Player.GetWeaponAnimType to determine the weapon type. A return value of 2 or 3 would be a melee weapon (and 1 if you want to include unarmed as well).

As far as the rest - I'd have to think a little about what might be the best way to do it.

EDIT: Might I suggest a name for the perk? "Steamroller" :D

Actually, you could avoid FOSE and use Player.GetWeaponAnimType to determine the weapon type. A return value of 2 or 3 would be a melee weapon (and 1 if you want to include unarmed as well).

As far as the rest - I'd have to think a little about what might be the best way to do it.

Haha. I like the name. Thanks for the tip about animtype. That might come in handy. Is there a actorIsRunning function? I know there is one to see if they are moving but that includes walking. And I guess another problem would be for the realists out there, it doesn't really make sense to knock someone down with a combat knife.

Haha. I like the name. Thanks for the tip about animtype. That might come in handy. Is there a actorIsRunning function? I know there is one to see if they are moving but that includes walking. And I guess another problem would be for the realists out there, it doesn't really make sense to knock someone down with a combat knife.

Yes there is. ;)

I don't see a problem with realism here. It makes as much if not more sense than a lot of things already in the game. I'm assuming the perk idea is that you've learned new moves that result in "takedowns" or something when you rush an opponent with a hand weapon. Should be just fine with a knife or any other melee weapon. Sure, some of the animations won't be ideal, but the melee attack anims in FO3 are so generic anyway, I don't think it would visually be that bad.