Help with custom item in the CS

whatever33

I am trying to add a custom item to the game. I followed the exact steps from the following post (this is not the exact item I am creating but it is a ring with effect):

"1) After starting the CS, go to file and then data... and check the oblivion.esm file and click ok.

2) After everything loads, click the + on items to expand the file and click clothing. Choose a ring with a model you want to use and change the ID of it to anything you want (I reccomend AAACHAMELEONRING100 so it appears 1st in the alphabetical list). Save it as a new object.

3) Now go to magic and then to enchantment. Right-Click anywhere in the grid and select "new". As the ID I say make it AAA100CHAMELEON and as type, put apparel. Right-click under the grid and hit new. As the effect, choose chameleon, and the magnitude should be 100.

4) Go back to the ring you created before, and choose the enchantment you just made from the enchantment list.

5) Write down the ID # and save the mod as whatever you want to call it.

When you load the mod in game, open the console (~) and type this code to add the item to your inventory

player.additem (insert ID # here) 1"

I just named the new mod MyCustomItems. I loaded the mod with Wrye Bash. When in Oblivion I use the console command to add the item, it always says that the item is not found. And yes, I am typing in the correct ID that I gave the item. I have tried to add the item to a comanions inventory using the CS, but when they load in game, the item is never in their inventory. I do notice that the new item in the CS has a quantity of 0. I do not know if that effects the ability to add it through the console or not.

What am I doing wrong?

The baseID (aka Form ID) that you find in the CS doesn't take into account where your mod loads in your load order. When you look at the baseID in the CS with your mod loaded it will always start with "01" ( e.g. 010005b7). What you need to do is change the first two digits to the hexadecimal number assigned to your mod according to load order. As you are already using Wrye Bash the simplest way for you is to simply get that from your WB load order list (it's displayed to the left of the mod name in the list ... 30th mod in the list would be 1e for example). Then just change the first two digits with your hexadecimal load order number (in my example above the 010005b7 would become 1e0005b7 if your mod was 30th in the mod list).

- Edit - Also note you need the baseID ... it's found in the collapsed column second from the left most column in the CS Object window (just to the right of the Editor ID column).

Edited by Striker879

As you expect, that worked. Thank you.

Is there an easy way to add new items permantly to the base game without having to make a new mod? I would rather not have an exra .esp taking up space just for one or two customized items. Not to mention BOSS is going to put my custom mod on the bottom of the list every damn time I run it. I already have that problem with a few unknown mods I have to manually move every time.

Not really, as in the least case (of which your's is an example) you need the ESP to get the game to recognize and assign a baseID to the item, even if you don't physically put one into the game world. I have a MyGeneralTweaks.esp that is a collection of items added to the game, tweaks to various NPCs etc. It's only one ESP slot, and if you create a container in one or more of your vanilla houses it gives you a spot to dump those extra items you want in the game without needing to worry about it disappearing into the sidewalk or rolling down a hill (actually doesn't even need to be in a house ... anywhere you want will do).