Sound files dont work

FarnsworthZUZU

Heylow!

so i decided to mod the awesomesauce game fo3 for the first time ever :D

i have many 40k mods you see, and with the chainsword mod and jq40k it makes a nice little melee weapon for us to use. however ive never been happy with the ripper sounds that it uses, so i frantically searched the Internets for some samples and when i came a cross some in .ogg format i was happy, converted to .wav as i believe was required of me. all seems fine when i play the file back.

i re-name the files and put them in thier respective directory (sounds\fx\wpn\ripper\idle|fire whatever) and they seemed to show in the GECK fine... but not in game... i tried using the ripper and the chainswords but nada. but what did happen is that now the weps make no noise whatsoever. so i know i did something right, but something went wrong.

can someone tell me what i missed? i even chose and saved the new sounds regardless of the same name to the fallout.esm

:mellow:

help please?

I use Sony SoundForge for recording or editing soundfiles. There are other similar programs that people use that allow you to save at different frequencies, sample rates, mono or stereo and such. Not all settings are compatible with Fallout 3. I showed you settings that do work, though they may not be the only ones that will. If you are using a sound file that is not compatible with Fallout 3's requirements then you will hear no sound.

I hate to double post but i have this free program called audacity which ive had for a while, it seems to be able to not only convert ogg to wav but change the frequency which was already at 44100 but 32- to 16 and such as well as the stereo to mono thing so ill edit this post as to how that goes. brb :D

And my efforts were in vain :wallbash:

ive no idea what to do now

i have this free program called audacity ...

ive no idea what to do now

I haven't used Audacity but I believe that it is used in FO3 modding.

I recommend searching when you have no idea what to do. "audacity" "bitrate" "frequency" "sound" "effects" "et cetera".........

so from here forward is trial and error huh

Using the search function on these forums can actually save you a lot of trial and error, because a lot of the questions that you are likely to ask have already been asked and answered here. Modder's love free programs like Audacity that work with Fallout 3 so I would not be surprised if you were able to find at least one thread that has information that you can use. You might still need to read through a bunch of posts to find what you are looking for, but it's often much quicker than waiting for someone who knows the answer to read your post. You will often find more than one solution to a given problem that way too, and solutions are not all equally good.