Lets allow genetic engineering for humans

stars2heaven

Ok, I don't know that I understand all of the posts above (still 13 years old). Thanks for the info anyway.

I'm twelve and I get it. Just study genetics. Even the simplified textbooks are useful.

@rbrophy, I.Q. has about jack poo to do with intelligence. It's a (very rough) estimate of how much you have the capacity to learn, not your ability to comprehend. You confusing your virtual memory with your display driver, in other words.

Sorry...I just feel the need to point that out to everyone who messes it up.

Sorry for braggin man when did society outlaw that... :biggrin: and that need to correct mistakes might want to drop that kinda annoying (no offense)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I don't know that I understand all of the posts above (still 13 years old). Thanks for the info anyway.

I'm twelve and I get it. Just study genetics. Even the simplified textbooks are useful.

@rbrophy, I.Q. has about jack poo to do with intelligence. It's a (very rough) estimate of how much you have the capacity to learn, not your ability to comprehend. You confusing your virtual memory with your display driver, in other words.

Sorry...I just feel the need to point that out to everyone who messes it up.

Sorry for braggin man when did society outlaw that... :biggrin: and that need to correct mistakes might want to drop that kinda annoying (no offense)

Eh, sorry. That ones messed up so much that I just feel a need to correct it.

If our studies in genetic memory advance far enough, People could be born With a full education in their genetics.

Genetic memory is a controversial issue. Knowledge on the subject is very cloudy, and delving into it you would have to bypass the unwieldy matters of Lamarckism, Darwinism, Lysenko-Michurinism, the whole lot.

Now, scientists have just begun analyzing this subject. The knowledge learned so far indicates that genetic characteristics just encode a disposition to react in certain ways to environmental catalysts, and not actual memory/experience, which is what this application would imply.

If our studies in genetic memory advance far enough, People could be born With a full education in their genetics.

Genetic memory is a controversial issue. Knowledge on the subject is very cloudy, and delving into it you would have to bypass the unwieldy matters of Lamarckism, Darwinism, Lysenko-Michurinism, the whole lot.

Now, scientists have just begun analyzing this subject. The knowledge learned so far indicates that genetic characteristics just encode a disposition to react in certain ways to environmental catalysts, and not actual memory/experience, which is what this application would imply.

Not necessarily. What with all our "junk" DNA floating around, we could Make it so that we are predisposed to say 4 everytime someone says 2+2=.

Not quite what I mean, but you get the picture.

Not necessarily. What with all our "junk" DNA floating around, we could Make it so that we are predisposed to say 4 everytime someone says 2+2=.

Perhaps you could, however, in order to do that, you would have to bypass the complications of language and numbers. 2+2 alone is meaningless without the numbers to express it. In order to accomplish what you are saying, you would in all likelihood have to modify the brain.

Perhaps you could, however, in order to do that, you would have to bypass the complications of language and numbers. 2+2 alone is meaningless without the numbers to express it. In order to accomplish what you are saying, you would in all likelihood have to modify the brain.

Are we not speaking about genetic engineering?

Perhaps I was too vague...

As I said before, you cannot encode concepts such as language and mathematical objects into genes. It is not so simple as to just engineer a response to a question such as 2+2 or "what is the color of a banana" into the genes. To express these questions, you require the concepts of language and mathematics (e.g. numbers), which are handled in areas of the brain.

Perhaps I was too vague...

As I said before, you cannot encode concepts such as language and mathematical objects into genes. It is not so simple as to just engineer a response to a question such as 2+2 or "what is the color of a banana" into the genes. To express these questions, you require the concepts of language and mathematics (e.g. numbers), which are handled in areas of the brain.

You have a point, but as soon as the concepts are learned, that's it.

Except that would be too easy.

what you say has no meaning, the word two, and the symbol 2 have no meaning, they are simply vibrations and light, until we attach a meaning to it, 2+2 could equal fish, it could be gibberish, until we attach the meaning to the words involved, just because you SAY 2+2=4 does not mean it is true, as the word four could have any meaning we want it to

Did that make sense?

People are so quick to come up with ideas they do not fully understand

edit: are the moderators always this involved in a discussion?

also, what would be the PRICE of this enginering? we could end up with a genetically superior race, and the rest of us who could not afford the improvements end up as slaves.