Has anyone read the books?

Retribution

Alistair's mom is an elf. It's in the epilogue of The Calling.

Fascinating. She must really have had a thing for humans, seeing as both of her children from different fathers turned out.. well, human.

Uh, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I don't think she had more than one child.

Uh, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I don't think she had more than one child.

So Goldanna popped out of thin air, then?

Not quite. The Calling features a relationship between Maric and an elven Grey Warden mage which results in a human baby (there aren't any half-elves in this setting). The mother gives the baby to Maric and asks that the child never know his mother was an elf, due to discrimination she suffered. She also asks that he never know about his royal blood, because being King has made Maric miserable. The elven mage and Duncan then leave to go back to Weisshaupt. The book ends here.

Now, if that child is actually Alistair (it's possible, though it involves a lot of arrangements and lies), the woman he thinks is his mother (Goldanna's mother, the maid) was either a convenient cover (if she actually happened to die in childbirth around the time Maric gave Alistair to Eamon) or an unfortunate victim needed to create the story. In the meeting with Alistair, Goldanna says she only received word of her mother's death, and when she went back to Redcliffe she was given money and told to stop asking questions. Additionally, according to the books, Maric is not really the type to spread some servant's thighs for the fun of it, particularly when Rowan was still alive. It's not impossible but it would be very odd behavior on his part.

Alistair's actual past is very ambiguous. He only knows what he was told as a child and what he found out when doing detective work to find Goldanna. The question won't be truly settled without further content or commentary from the writers.