Realism/Difficulty mods

Retribution

While I frequently use them, some of these mods are RIDICULOUS. For instance, there's one for Dragon Age that buffs up everything on enemies, buffs down everything on you, makes poultices have a several minute long cool-down, increases the amount of enemies, makes mage partners/player characters weak, but makes enemy mages really strong. Does that sound fun to anyone?

I don't see the point of it if there is more than one difficulty level. Play those instead of getting a mod IMHO. However, everyone is entitled to their rights to download whatever they wish to, and I won't do anything to try and tell someone not to download a mod they want to have. After all, I'm not the person downloading it, so therefore, pointless as they may seem to a person like myself, it won't affect me.

Well, that's not a realism mod. THat's a difficulty mod. I like realism mods as they tend to affect both the player AND the enemy. It means that you both die really quickly and fights actually become tense.

I think what he means (no offense) is mods that make enemies harder to kill, but makes it easier for them to kill you... Not where it is easier for both sides to die...

While I frequently use them, some of these mods are RIDICULOUS. For instance, there's one for Dragon Age that buffs up everything on enemies, buffs down everything on you, makes poultices have a several minute long cool-down, increases the amount of enemies, makes mage partners/player characters weak, but makes enemy mages really strong. Does that sound fun to anyone?

Yes, some people LIKE to have the odds stacked against them to a point where they have to resort to careful use of strategy to get through even a simple fight.

Personally, for oblivion I'm using mods which allow all types of things to spawn at level 1, give them minimum levels and health, and have them setup to level with the player. Combined with mods that increase combat damage, it makes some roads and ruins extremely challenging regardless of level, equipment, or difficulty setting. This is something that most would not want to use, would conflict with most popular mods, and undoubtedly make for many problems, but serves me well enough.

For something like Dragonage such a mod would enforce even more requirement on strategy, and planning since you are dealing with many actors which are controlled by the player. It also has the added benefit of rendering the game virtually unplayable by some, which can be good if you have siblings or lots of homework that you've been putting off. Additionally, there is nothing to suggest that these mods aren't also being used alongside cheat mods which render player characters unkillable, and are combined purely so that things appear more epic.

Regardless, the point is that if someone made it, there is likely some purpose to it other than "for the hell of it". You aren't forced to use it, so if it isn't up to your tastes, you can just give it a pass and play how you want.

Well, that's not a realism mod. THat's a difficulty mod. I like realism mods as they tend to affect both the player AND the enemy. It means that you both die really quickly and fights actually become tense.

I think what he means (no offense) is mods that make enemies harder to kill, but makes it easier for them to kill you... Not where it is easier for both sides to die...

Which is not realistic, hence not being a realism mod. That's all I was pointing out to him.

I realize that, but even some mods that are meant to be realism mods are balanced in favor of the enemy.

That's true. They're "realistic" because you're not a one person army, taking out millions of enemys with nothing but a scratch anymore. They make it so you have to use you're cunning and strategy to get through them.

Anyway, usually I don't use them, except in the case of FO3s MMM.

I used to have a hunger mod for Oblivion.

It ended up me taking 10000000000 lettuces and beefs in order to kill a vampire..... seriously.

I used to have a hunger mod for Oblivion.

It ended up me taking 10000000000 lettuces and beefs in order to kill a vampire..... seriously.

You aren't supposed to throw them...

But yes, all reality mods have their own limitations, biases and errors. To account for everything that exists within reality and put it into a game would be well beyond anything sane or achievable. People do what they can according to what feels right.