Realism/Difficulty mods

Retribution

I realize that, but even some mods that are meant to be realism mods are balanced in favor of the enemy.

What something is 'meant' to be has little affect on what it is. If a 'realism' mod does somethign unrealistic it can hardly be called a good 'realism' mod, can it?

Heh, funny I should find this thread. I just wrote an article for a local mag railing against the horrible trend towards 'realism' in gameplay. I mean, I loathe modern FPS games, particularly those set in the war, in the present or the near-future, because they amount to little more than glorified hide-and-seek, with the two finest-aimers popping off everyone else who, with their non-sniper type weapons, can't hit a barn door even if they're leaning on it. I know I'm probably a n00bar for saying so, but I think Dragon Age's Easy difficulty is far too easy, but Medium is too hard. I wouldn't even begin to try out that difficulty mod the OP mentioned...

I mean, where's the fun in being gunned down by an enemy who's so far away the engine hasn't even bothered to draw him (I'm looking at you, Operation Flashpoint), or where you have to bandage to stop yourself bleeding out, and can only take like two shots? This makes you paranoid. Gaming becomes either a chore or an aversion, as you really don't want to take on 'that one mission' again because you've lost the past 50 times because you lost a pixel-hunt competition against the AI.

It's just not fun for me. Neither is crazy hard difficulty; I'd sooner feel a game was fairly-weighted with a reasonable curve than be frothing at the mouth every time. I don't necessarily want to feel godlike in a game, but I do want to feel as if I'm up to the task. And there has to be acceptable breaks from reality (hunger/thirst mods in Oblivion for example) - there are no bathrooms/privies/baths in Oblivion because, as a gameworld, it doesn't really need them. Hunger and thirst mechanics were left out because they'd be too much of a burden on most players. I know the immersionist camp exists but I couldn't think of anything more tedious, personally. I want to be slaying dremora and minotaurs, not calorie-counting. This isn't The Sims...I play games (particularly fantasy RPG, FPS, etc) to do things I can't do IRL. :wallbash:

Sorry for the novel-esque length of this post. I get a little heated. :whistling:

Heh, funny I should find this thread. I just wrote an article for a local mag railing against the horrible trend towards 'realism' in gameplay. I mean, I loathe modern FPS games, particularly those set in the war, in the present or the near-future, because they amount to little more than glorified hide-and-seek, with the two finest-aimers popping off everyone else who, with their non-sniper type weapons, can't hit a barn door even if they're leaning on it. I know I'm probably a n00bar for saying so, but I think Dragon Age's Easy difficulty is far too easy, but Medium is too hard. I wouldn't even begin to try out that difficulty mod the OP mentioned...

I mean, where's the fun in being gunned down by an enemy who's so far away the engine hasn't even bothered to draw him (I'm looking at you, Operation Flashpoint), or where you have to bandage to stop yourself bleeding out, and can only take like two shots? This makes you paranoid. Gaming becomes either a chore or an aversion, as you really don't want to take on 'that one mission' again because you've lost the past 50 times because you lost a pixel-hunt competition against the AI.

It's just not fun for me. Neither is crazy hard difficulty; I'd sooner feel a game was fairly-weighted with a reasonable curve than be frothing at the mouth every time. I don't necessarily want to feel godlike in a game, but I do want to feel as if I'm up to the task. And there has to be acceptable breaks from reality (hunger/thirst mods in Oblivion for example) - there are no bathrooms/privies/baths in Oblivion because, as a gameworld, it doesn't really need them. Hunger and thirst mechanics were left out because they'd be too much of a burden on most players. I know the immersionist camp exists but I couldn't think of anything more tedious, personally. I want to be slaying dremora and minotaurs, not calorie-counting. This isn't The Sims...I play games (particularly fantasy RPG, FPS, etc) to do things I can't do IRL. :wallbash:

Sorry for the novel-esque length of this post. I get a little heated. :whistling:

Eh, not really. lol I love some realism mods in oblivion such as hunger and sleep mods. You want to know why? Exactly the same reason you don't. Fantasy, to get away from the real world. But if I want to do that, I want that fantasy to be as real and immersive as possible. I do all the same things you do in Oblivion, but I also eat and sleep. I just like to actually role play.

And as with the fps thing... Maybe you're just really bad at them? lol No offence (seriously, none whatsoever I'm 100% kidding), I'm not exactly great, I always get my ass kicked online (and have GREAT fun doing it) but I play all my fps games on the highest difficulty and it's never exactly gotten to the point where I've had to re do a mission 50 times. Just to the point where every fire fight is actually fun and exhilarating and I have to work to win. Sure, I die now and then, but I have a lot more fun doing so. Plus, it makes you review your tactics and think about what you're doing. I just can't see the point in playing easy games.

All mods have thier place, it all depends on what your looking for personaly, in many cases however realism mods may sound desirable and look good on paper but do not translate to fun during actuall game play. That is not allways the case however where other realism mods fail there are a few that manage to get it right and those help to make a truly unique and immersive game experience.

I will never forget the first time using a bloody mess in oblivion.

Spoiler coming...........

I had just reach the point in the sewers where uriel septims assination takes place. After finishing off Uriel the Mythic Dan assasin turns on my character knocks her down and runs her through. GAME OVER.

it was a one in a million wtf moment and I laughed hystericaly as I reloaded the game.

All mods have thier place, it all depends on what your looking for personaly, in many cases however realism mods may sound desirable and look good on paper but do not translate to fun during actuall game play. That is not allways the case however where other realism mods fail there are a few that manage to get it right and those help to make a truly unique and immersive game experience.

I will never forget the first time using a bloody mess in oblivion.

Spoiler coming...........

I had just reach the point in the sewers where uriel septims assination takes place. After finishing off Uriel the Mythic Dan assasin turns on my character knocks her down and runs her through. GAME OVER.

it was a one in a million wtf moment and I laughed hystericaly as I reloaded the game.

XD That would have been hilarious.

Eh, not really. lol I love some realism mods in oblivion such as hunger and sleep mods.

It was a part of Everquest I liked, but then I was a Ranger so I rarely ran out of food and never had to buy it if I did run out, just click forage every few minutes and you'd soon have enough to last a real time week, well maybe, depends how often your bard friend would run out of food and ask for yours.