.erf and .dds

lawlbear

having trouble opening erf and dds with photoshop anyone know any solutions? i know there is a plugin for .dds but it doesn't seem to work, for both files i just get

"photoshop could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"

I think you mean ERF and DDS, not BBS.

ERF files are just packages of other files. You don't load that into Photoshop. You load the DDS files.

NVidia makes a plugin for DDS files. If you are running CS4, and have 64bit Photoshop installed, what you need to do is when installing the NVidia plugins, change the install path to the 32bit version of Photoshop. The installer will by default install them to the 64bit version but the plugins don't work in the 64bit version. They work fine in the 32bit version.

You can also use other tools to convert DDS (Direct Draw Surface) images into a format you can edit with Photoshop or other editors.

Keep in mind that you do not want to convert from a DDS image more than one time. It is kind of like making a fax copy of a fax and the image quality gets worse each time you do it.

Get your image into a "source" format that does not degrade each time you make a change and save it. Such as .PSD, .PNG, .PSP, .PSPIMAGE, or .XCF. File types you do NOT want to use as your source are JPG or DDS.

DDS Tools Listing

LHammonds