Shields, a big weapon, or two weapons?

VikingII

Sword & board is for tanking, rather good at not being killed but rather lackluster in damage.

Dual wield brings the highest damage, which is, a whole lot of damage.

2handed is mechanically inferior, play it if you like the looks or the style or the color of the icons or wevs, but from a mechanical view they are worse tanks than S&S and don't deal much more damage than them.

So, considering only mechanics, the choice is of gameplay: tanking vs damage dealer (note that DW warriors can still tank their share, they just won't be half as good as shielded warriors).

Its easy:

Shield - Tank (Excellent defense once you have Shield Wall)

Dualweapon - DPS (MASSIVE dps compared to both alternatives) and good def (High Dex + Def from Talents)

Twohanded - CC (and immunity to Knockdown/Stun from level 1 or 2 on already), area attacks, worst def (no Dex, but at least can wear Massive Armor easily)

• 1 month later...

If they aren't mod'd weaps, then it's probably this mod- http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11

I go axe and sword for the tougher bosses, and sword and dagger for most of the little guys (axe and sword kills um too fast, lol. no challenge!). I absolutely love the cimematic when you kill a dragon with the dual wield combination.

As was mentioned before, that the stab and slab combo is really good for defense, but a lot of the shield attacks for knockdown and stun don't work against a lot of bosses, or very large creatures. They just resist it. In that particular case, I Always go dual wield.

If you're having trouble deciding, set up your character as one... stabNslab and a follower like Alistair or Sten as a dual wielder, or vice versa. You can directly control the follower, playing as Them, and let you main char go on AI. That way you can get a feel for how each of them works

I will say tho, that if you use a warrior or rogue defender for your mage npc, I prefer dual wield. properly setting up your tactics for them to use the wide sweeping attacks that hit more than one target makes them good defenders for wynn.

• 1 month later...